Troost Village

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Troost Village

Post by DaveKCMO »

alejandro46 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:25 am Don't think the skywalks are needed.
Another tone deaf skywalk for this intersection. People afraid of other people.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Agreed. I don't get the need for a skywalk.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Does it have anything to do with the Office space utilizing the gym in the other building? I could see that as the only reasonable justification to it
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:55 am Does it have anything to do with the Office space utilizing the gym in the other building? I could see that as the only reasonable justification to it
The skywalk connects the office space to the gym (an amenity space).
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:04 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:55 am Does it have anything to do with the Office space utilizing the gym in the other building? I could see that as the only reasonable justification to it
Yes, should’ve clarified, I’m saying since those two items are connected, if the office is utilizing that gym as an amenity or it is being advertised as such, that could justify the skywalk.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:37 pm
Yes, should’ve clarified, I’m saying since those two items are connected, if the office is utilizing that gym as an amenity or it is being advertised as such, that could justify the skywalk.
Connections between "internal" uses is acceptable to me. It seems like most office buildings have gyms now a days. A shared gym negates the need for a dedicated activity space in the office building. I approve of this cross walk.

I would be less supportive if it was a bridge between office and a completely different use (ie Crown Center).
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I’m not convinced this wouldn’t be taking people off the street. Plus, putting a skywalk, a major symbol of antiurbanism, arching over a neighborhood trying to reurbanize seems like bad optics
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:49 pm Image
So, I didn't realize that they'd be constructing a new building to look old until I read Collison's article. I thought the building was already there until I looked at Google Maps.

That is perhaps the biggest aspect of this project that I am interested to see how it turns out. There's good ways of rebuilding old/lost buildings and bad ways. Hopefully this is the good way (minus the skywalk). I believe this is the recreation of the Isis theater.

One thing to point out in Collison's article is that the Isis theater building replica is brown while the rendering quoted in this post is white. It could come out good either way.

https://cityscenekc.com/troost-village- ... -district/
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Calling this a recreation of the Isis is absolutely silly. Not even close. It's white, thats about it.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

moderne wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:04 pm Calling this a recreation of the Isis is absolutely silly. Not even close. It's white, thats about it.
I’ll be slightly more charitable and point out that some of the details are similar. It’s like they knocked off the top of the old building. Pretty weird

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's a return to textured surfaces.
Last edited by FangKC on Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Troost Village Plan Would Transform Heart of Historic Commercial District
Finally, the partners want to construct a new building across Linwood that would recreate the look of the historic Isis Theater, a movie palace at 31st and Troost destroyed by fire decades ago, that would include a grocer, offices, rooftop patio and parking.
https://www.flatlandkc.org/news-issues/ ... -district/
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

It is what it isis.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

taxi wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:19 pm It is what it isis.
You’re a monster
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I agree that this is going to pull people into the buildings and keep them off of the street, which is not a good outcome. The parking, office, and amenities being all connected really hurts the potential for a meaningful level of activity on the street. As a solution in this scenario it is such an outdated approach to urbanism and communicates a level of fear about what's happening on the street.

So put the gym and office in the same building and ditch the honky tube. That way when the uses eventually change (and they will) we aren't stuck with it.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:49 am
moderne wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:04 pm Calling this a recreation of the Isis is absolutely silly. Not even close. It's white, thats about it.
I’ll be slightly more charitable and point out that some of the details are similar. It’s like they knocked off the top of the old building. Pretty weird

I don't want to live anywhere that looks like it was actually inspired by Zona Rosa.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Unfortunate that the corner is two blank walls.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If there is a grocery in that building, they could put up one of those display frames and post their grocery sales for the week on that blank wall.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

chaglang wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:53 pm Unfortunate that the corner is two blank walls.
I am sure the design of that building will change substantially before its finished.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Slideshow.

$162M Troost Village project includes six historic renovations, new construction

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... j=22948902