Troost Village

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Troost Village

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I did notice a few workers on site today. This is the first signs of life I have seen in quite a while. I don't have any confidence in any of the new construction portions of the proposal, but perhaps the Phase I building renovations will resume (maybe followed by 911 Linwood).
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Got gas at the station across from last week. Don't think that cornice is going to stay attached much longer.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

These buildings continue to sit rotting, windows missing, open to the elements. I don't know what's going on...but it seems like the whole development was a scam. Anyone have any info?

We can't let this really nice block of building disappear.
iamrealz
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by iamrealz »

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like any permits have been filed since 2021. Hard to imagine any movement with current interest rates unless a new owner/investor comes in.

At least Reconciliation Services on the corner is making progress.
Hammersmith
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Hammersmith »

A little more activity here. Recently some of the rear structures were demolished on the southwest corner of 31st and Troost.

Here's the structures that were removed:

Maybe it means that things have not been entirely abandoned? I think the plans for this partial demolition went through in October or November.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

This is not part of Troost Village. TV is on the east side only of Troost.
Hammersmith
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Hammersmith »

moderne wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:22 am This is not part of Troost Village. TV is on the east side only of Troost.
Ah? I thought both sides were being worked on by the same developer.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

No. The buildings on the west have been undergoing rehab for the past several year by different developers. I have heard from a not reliable source that the Troost Village south of Reconciliation Services has been stalled due to the death of the developer.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Developer in $162M Troost Village plan files for bankruptcy protection during loan dispute

But Midtown Redevelopment Partners has yet to turn those renderings into reality. Instead, financial disputes have led to liens and lawsuits, most recently resulting in a bankruptcy filing by Troost Village's lead landowner, CS Midtown LLC. Meanwhile, the plan's Pendergast-era buildings, once part of the Troost corridor's historic fabric of Black-owned businesses, now sit gutted, fenced off or boarded up as other developers and entrepreneurs pursue new investment in the area.

Developer Tim Bowman, who owns CS Midtown, said Troost Village's $18 million first phase has struggled, in part, because 2019 changes in Missouri's historic tax credit law led to the collapse of a $7 million capital stack. However, he said the bankruptcy filing was not because of a "money issue" but rather an emergency need to stop a foreclosure sale he argues was illegitimately set for the former Belmont Hotel at 911 E. Linwood Blvd.

Bowman said he soon expects to finalize terms with a new development partner whose financing would resolve the bankruptcy case and bridge Troost Village's funding gaps so work can resume. About $11.5 million in work already has been completed on three buildings in the first phase.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... toric.html
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Ugh. More limbo. Wish he would/could unload this onto someone like MAC.