Katz on Main

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Katz on Main

Post by earthling »

Given the nature of 64111 sentiment to the building, it should've included a large public element such as a public market not incentives entirely for 'luxury' private use but now that it's been approved I don't see it backtracking. If 200 signatures is all it takes, urban core development will have some serious issues moving forward.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

If the city goes back on deals they've made and continues to move goal posts for incentives- its going to really quite things down development wise.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

If the church decides to not sell the property, it will not be because of the petition. It will be because they have a better offer for the property and just want to backtrack on their deal. I think it goes through.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The fact that the petition has to exist at all is an indication that the church is going to do whatever it wants to. But the disconnect between not seeing Redeemer bringing scores of middle/upper middle class white people into midtown neighborhoods as a gentrifying factor, and Redeemer selling a building as a gentrifying factor, is fascinating.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

chaglang wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:56 am The fact that the petition has to exist at all is an indication that the church is going to do whatever it wants to. But the disconnect between not seeing Redeemer bringing scores of middle/upper middle class white people into midtown neighborhoods as a gentrifying factor, and Redeemer selling a building as a gentrifying factor, is fascinating.
I keep hearing people talking about Midtown becoming gentrified and "more white" in the same sentence. Can someone explain to me out of curiousity when Midtown was ever not "more white". This seems a bit of revisionist history and I've seen it on several occasions now.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Fair point. It's probably more displacement than gentrification. (I think gentrification has a racial component to is, but everyone brings their own definitions to this argument so /shrug/)
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

This is what happens when you give those fuckheads a scalp. They killed Mac, so now they're emboldened and they're gonna try to kill Katz. If they kill Mac and Katz, then they'll be emboldened enough to halt all development in the whole city. They will effectively run the development game in KC.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

chaglang wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:07 pm Fair point. It's probably more displacement than gentrification. (I think gentrification has a racial component to is, but everyone brings their own definitions to this argument so /shrug/)
But is "displacement" wrong in itself? It seems society, and housing specifically, is constantly in a state of adjustment either up or down. And part of the drive for upward mobility is to not be affected by it, to have options and the security of being able to live where you want. I don't really see how "right to live wherever you desire" or rent control is any kind of universal right that anyone would fight for outside of other gain incentives personally.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I don’t disagree with you necessarily but let’s just make sure we’re being compassionate as we go about discussing this stuff.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

freedog wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:37 pm I don’t disagree with you necessarily but let’s just make sure we’re being compassionate as we go about discussing this stuff.
Curious what your view of compassion is in the case of Midtown? I'd say we've carried the predominant share of care for the less fortunate in this metro for a very long time. At this point, I'd like our leaders to put systems in place for continuing to care for those in need BUT ALSO doing some shaming for us doing most of the care in this multi-country area and shedding light on the practices of everyone around us shuffling those in need into the urban core, rejecting ANY multi-family housing, doing nothing for transportation so as not to provide a means of the working poor to live in their areas, and giving absolute lipservice to charity and care. We all need to do our share to care for those in need, but after awhile "compassion" turns into blind being taken advantage of and not saying so is a moral failure.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The idea that people who have lived in an underserved neighborhood be able to stay around and enjoy new amenities when the neighborhood changes is kind of appealing, though I will admit that a lot of this feels like trying to hold back the tide. The answer is definitely not to put a neighborhood on pause.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

With the former Katz building now in hand and public financing secured, Lux Living expects to begin moving earth within 60 days, CEO Victor Alston said on Monday. Before construction can begin, the developer must complete environmental remediation, including from what Alston said were historic onsite dry cleaning uses, and demolish a non-historic addition to the drug store before its conversion for 20,000 square feet of resident amenities.
KCBJ update on the project

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2022-02-07
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It appears this project is going forward now.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Good. The more housing the better in the long term.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Hallelujah

This will be somewhat iconic (yes I know peeps hate that word) for Westport/ Midtown. Clarence Kivett is redeemed!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Still wish we could get Mac's plan back too
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:51 pm Still wish we could get Mac's plan back too
Yeah… but this is the project I really care about. What a great way to repurpose a unique, historic building.

Still holding my breath until it’s completed.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:51 pm Still wish we could get Mac's plan back too
Didn't they already acquire some of that land? I doubt it's really dead or that Mac won't be involved.
CorneliusFB
Pad site
Pad site

Post by CorneliusFB »

MAC owns the ground. It may not be the same project, but something will happen on that site.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

CorneliusFB wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:29 pm MAC owns the ground. It may not be the same project, but something will happen on that site.
All the plots along Main will be developed sooner or later. I think it's probably a matter of taking a decent deal with somewhat higher risk or waiting for a larger payout with less incentives in the future. MAC is probably the best to take an early position because they already have property in the area and they make money not just on the development undertaken but boost the prices for all their other existing developments. Margins for early adopters, like MAC, will be higher with zero risk. I'd imagine they are so entrenched they will try to keep new developers from encroaching on the area by buying all available properties at a premium to keep others out, monopoly style.