Katz on Main

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Katz on Main

Post by herrfrank »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:37 pm My goal on Main in Midtown is to destroy the abomination of that suburban Home Depot
Google "Warner Plaza" for a depressing read on the more-or-less intact 1920s multifamily development that occupied much of this land. The complex was standing until 1990, which goes to show how late it was that the historic preservationists got any traction in KC.

Then again those beautiful apartment buildings near Richard Block Cancer Survivor Park got demolished, what was it, five years ago? And the Knickerbocker debacle happened since the pandemic began.

Warner Plaza had transient residents in the 1970s and 1980s (midtown used to be the poor part of town), so the buildings got blamed for the resident's problems and demolished. A wonderful jazz club, Jimmy's, also got levelled in that whirlwind of destruction. A totally authentic 1920s boite that the world will never know again.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

BTW, Warner Plaza's 10 low-rise apartment buildings had I recall eight apartments each, plus another 20 in the five-story structures; Knickerbocker had at least 30, and the 20 units on the Plaza makes 150 units total. All of which could have been redeveloped as mixed-rate-plus-affordable housing.

That's the kind of thing that KC Tenants should be outraged about -- the vanishing of viable housing, not the fancy nature of new housing.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

http://midtownkcpost.com/current-home-d ... ment-city/
Link to some pictures of Warner Plaza in the 80s
herrfrank wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:34 pm BTW, Warner Plaza's 10 low-rise apartment buildings had I recall eight apartments each, plus another 20 in the five-story structures; Knickerbocker had at least 30, and the 20 units on the Plaza makes 150 units total. All of which could have been redeveloped as mixed-rate-plus-affordable housing.

That's the kind of thing that KC Tenants should be outraged about -- the vanishing of viable housing, not the fancy nature of new housing.
Yes. 100%
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

herrfrank wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:34 pm BTW, Warner Plaza's 10 low-rise apartment buildings had I recall eight apartments each, plus another 20 in the five-story structures; Knickerbocker had at least 30, and the 20 units on the Plaza makes 150 units total. All of which could have been redeveloped as mixed-rate-plus-affordable housing.

Add to that the destruction of Colonial Court by KCUMB and the apartment building on Paseo at 33rd.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Not to mention the countless buildings lost on the Eastside of the city as well as what's now East Village. No one bats an eye when we've lost so much of our history and housing stock but there are plenty of people willing to fight re because for a number of reasons.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Interior demo permits requested 3/1
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

I saw a TON of contractor pickups and one of those ride-on tile scraper thingies there yesterday. Progress!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Was surprised that the Historic Preservation Commission did not include this building in their second edition of Kansas City: A Place in Time.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

Inside looks to be pretty close to gutted. And I don't think that hole in the floor was there before. https://imgur.com/a/HS0b6WN
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Looks like where the stairs to the basement were.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Housewares and hardware.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

So has it started?
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

Yes, Alkali, I believe they're working on gutting it right now. I've seen tons of contractor pickups there over the past couple weeks.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I peaked inside last night on my way to dinner at Tailleur (great meal btw.) Looked pretty much fully gutted and cleaned out.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Really excited to see how this turns out. Renders are on thing, final results are another.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

"Light pollution is violence to me." :lol:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/c31316d1- ... a14c3331bd

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

That Katz photo is a very long exposure. No way it was that bright in person.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:34 am That Katz photo is a very long exposure. No way it was that bright in person.
you can tell by the floating light beams in the street
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Best thing was that both street sides were entirely glass. Such inviting visibility!