Katz on Main

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Katz on Main

Post by chaglang »

I have an original print of that photo and it's nowhere near as garish. It's also in black and white.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I long for the days of sidewalk window displays in retail stores.

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Creepy armless mannequins de Milo.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:11 pm I long for the days of sidewalk window displays in retail stores.
Go window shopping in 1931.

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/1772534
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Patiently waiting for this one to really get underway...
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

IIRC the interior needed a TON of work. And they only recently installed that construction office trailer thing in the parking lot, which I assume means things are ramping up.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Lux is hosting the Urban Core Group in the building on June 23. Registration required.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Re Katz: "..interior demolition on the Katz project has been completed and work is expected to begin soon on removing the old drugstore roof and replacing it with a stronger one necessary to support a swimming pool and other apartment amenities."

From https://cityscenekc.com/lux-living-take ... t-project/
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Strange to see the whole back end opened up. It makes apparent that the entire site is not very large. Being at the terminus of Westport road I know this area is considered park of Wesport, but I would like to see a brand of its own along Main from 38th to 40th. Something like the Midtown Art Deco District(MADD).
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

moderne wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:57 am Strange to see the whole back end opened up. It makes apparent that the entire site is not very large. Being at the terminus of Westport road I know this area is considered park of Wesport, but I would like to see a brand of its own along Main from 38th to 40th. Something like the Midtown Art Deco District(MADD).
Sites usually seem smaller without a building on them. Go look at an old street view of the OneLight site and compare that tiny parking lot to the tower we have now.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

moderne wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:57 am Strange to see the whole back end opened up. It makes apparent that the entire site is not very large. Being at the terminus of Westport road I know this area is considered park of Wesport, but I would like to see a brand of its own along Main from 38th to 40th. Something like the Midtown Art Deco District(MADD).
Well Mothers against drunk driving may get a little testy (MADD) if we went that route 8)

I like the idea of giving the area a little more of distinct vibe or feel. Perhaps play of the fact of the Art Institute and students living in the area. However nothing calling it Midtown. Maybe refer to the area from 31st to 40th, with Broadway on the West border & Main on the East border, something unique. Call it the Uptown area after the theater and have that corner be more of a focus. Uptown East & West. Not sure if that area already has a neighborhood name
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

When’s this project supposed to be done by?
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Depending on permitting I imagine we'll see foundation work before winter. Q4 2023 or Q1 2024 seems realistic for the entire project to be finished, though I'm sure it could be accelerated.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Interior renovation underway at Katz apartment project, drugstore roof being strengthened to support pool deck.

https://twitter.com/kckansascity/status ... uP1lwMc2NA
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Fountains wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:59 pm I can't wait til this project is built along with the street car. I was walking along Main St. the other evening and I gotta say some parts felt real sketch others really empty.
It's underway. They're doing alot of constructions work on the part not facing the street, so many don't see it.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Building entirely open now on all sides. Even though it will not stay that way it is nice to see the building more in line with how it was originally designed to draw people in.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

The former parking lot is now completely dug out. I'm guessing foundation work is coming soon.
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

FangKC wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:00 am
FangKC wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:11 pm I long for the days of sidewalk window displays in retail stores.
Go window shopping in 1931.

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/1772534
I might be the dullest tool in the shed:

I now understand where your "Avatar" comes from. CitySceneKC's article today, 31-August.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Current status...
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »