Americo Plaza Tower (Former Holiday Inn)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Americo Plaza Tower (Former Holiday Inn)

Post by GRID »

earthling wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:00 am ^Pretty sure it's value of early phases, not entire project but it seems to vary by project. Some show entire valuation in early phases. And not even sure if this site is correct but they charge a pretty penny for the data and they do seem to get a lot of projects right.
Okay, well I hope so.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Yes agreed with GRID, this is really "the" prime site in the city right now IMO - anything less than a signature project (ideally tower) of some sort is a fail. This is highly visible, highly accessible, amazing views and nestled among KC's cultural treasures. Really hoping these features are taken advantage of...
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

GRID wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:01 am Jesus. So this prime site is going from what would have been a high end hotel which failed then a to high rise tower that probably would have cost 100-200 million to a shitty 14 million dollar sprawl project that will probably include a motel and drive through restaurants by the sound of it. I mean the land needs to remain vacant. Another case of tearing shit down before you have a real plan to develop.
I thought they had a plan and then ran out of money funding the demo.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

GRID wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:01 am Another case of tearing shit down before you have a real plan to develop.
History of Kansas City: 1945-20XX
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:36 am
GRID wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:01 am Jesus. So this prime site is going from what would have been a high end hotel which failed then a to high rise tower that probably would have cost 100-200 million to a shitty 14 million dollar sprawl project that will probably include a motel and drive through restaurants by the sound of it. I mean the land needs to remain vacant. Another case of tearing shit down before you have a real plan to develop.
I thought they had a plan and then ran out of money funding the demo.
I don't think it's possible for the team behind this project to run out of money.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Believe they had a real plan and financing but the construction cost spike lead into the interest rate spike and we can’t forgot the end of incentives.
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

Grid couldn't have said it better.
NEgoofyfoot
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by NEgoofyfoot »

Moving dirt here today...Did this project get approved?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/19656694 ... 860T54U79E
Last edited by NEgoofyfoot on Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

No development plans. Attach a photo?
NEgoofyfoot
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by NEgoofyfoot »

I tried but got an error "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

NEgoofyfoot wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:10 am I tried but got an error "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."
Upload photot to IMGUR, Flickr, etc and then post the link here
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

What was the most recent development proposal for this site? All I get out of the discussion above is "a shitty 14 million dollar sprawl project that will probably include a motel and drive through restaurants".
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The $14M number is likely first phase. Someone emotionally overreacted as typical. Hotel is the last indicator. Over $100M residential was the first target, so who knows with Americo.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

NEgoofyfoot wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:10 am I tried but got an error "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."
Just drove by, can confirm. One guy in a bulldozer working on the south side of the site
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:29 pm
Just drove by, can confirm. One guy in a bulldozer working on the south side of the site
Might just be fixing the grading.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:37 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:29 pm
Might just be fixing the grading.
No plans or permits
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The chances of nothing happening on this prime lot is zero. But hopefully it's the right project in context to streetcar TOD, which most developers based in KC are clueless of. It actually might be better if nothing happens until after streetcar opens but would be great if they can make it work beforehand. Construction will be a challenge with both going on.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

earthling wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:43 pm The chances of nothing happening on this prime lot is zero. But hopefully it's the right project in context to streetcar TOD, which most developers based in KC are clueless of. It actually might be better if nothing happens until after streetcar opens but would be great if they can make it work beforehand. Construction will be a challenge with both going on.
That's easy to say, but this lot has been empty forever.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0471406 ... a=!3m1!1e3
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:52 pm
earthling wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:43 pm The chances of nothing happening on this prime lot is zero. But hopefully it's the right project in context to streetcar TOD, which most developers based in KC are clueless of. It actually might be better if nothing happens until after streetcar opens but would be great if they can make it work beforehand. Construction will be a challenge with both going on.
That's easy to say, but this lot has been empty forever.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0471406 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Owner has no interest in selling that lot.

Also, is that where the Hyatt was proposed in the 90's
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Knowing that the economy is a bit wobbly right now, I’d say patience is key with this one. I imagine this will be a big one when the time comes, but for now there are too many variables that might be giving the development team pause. Variables like the economy, whether or not Block’s Highrise on Madison will begin construction, 4711 Belleview, and the streetcar’s impact on development patterns are all at play here.

I have no doubts that this company had plans drawn up to see what was possible and can revise those plans dependent on the variables.