5th and Main (Northwest Corner)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: 5th and Main (Northwest Corner)

Post by Rabble »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:12 pm
Rabble wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:51 pm I’m confused, is the enemy of this almost perfect development, the KC Tenants or the local merchants?
Yes.
So the KC Tenants are at fault, for not blocking the merchants, from having parking spaces replace the affordable housing units? Nobody here seems to be in favor of affordable units in new high rise apartments, so the KCT's lack of effort should be considered a benefit.

And I don't see how the merchants can be blamed for wanting to hang onto the parking spaces. They believe, for good reason, that they can't survive with only streetcar and pedestrian traffic.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Rabble wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:14 am Nobody here seems to be in favor of affordable units in new high rise apartments, so the KCT's lack of effort should be considered a benefit.
Is that true? There's certainly an argument for if that is the best/most efficient use of resources. However, for this specific project, the choice was not to build affordable housing somewhere else. The choice was more affordable housing in this building or more parking in this building. I doubt many people here would choose parking.

KCT can do whatever they want. But, I do think this project is another point backing up what I've been saying. They are not interested in any progress as it relates to privately owned residential buildings. They only want publicly-owned social housing. That's it. End of story. Privately held affordable units are the same as privately held market-rate units to them. They don't care about affordability, they care about ownership. Even when given the opportunity to speak out in favor of affordable housing over car parking, which is what the choice was here, they stayed silent. They have one mission, I don't know why people continue to not see it.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Rabble wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:14 am And I don't see how the merchants can be blamed for wanting to hang onto the parking spaces. They believe, for good reason, that they can't survive with only streetcar and pedestrian traffic.
There was a plan on the table to completely eliminate all parking in RM so that local merchants would have to survive on only streetcar and pedestrian traffic?
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

phuqueue wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:34 am
Rabble wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:14 am And I don't see how the merchants can be blamed for wanting to hang onto the parking spaces. They believe, for good reason, that they can't survive with only streetcar and pedestrian traffic.
There was a plan on the table to completely eliminate all parking in RM so that local merchants would have to survive on only streetcar and pedestrian traffic?
That's what the owners of Cascone's thought.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

So they "can't be blamed" for holding the city back over a fake concern?
JohnKCMO
Can't Start New Threads
Can't Start New Threads

Post by JohnKCMO »

I don't know where that plan to eliminate parking came from, but the River Market may as well be just another suburb then. No business in Kansas City will operate where the only parking is strictly for people who live there.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

https://kansascity.legistar.com/Legisla ... t|&Search=

Authorizing sale to Port KC of the land for the Flaherty Collins project, if i understand correctly
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

langosta wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:05 am https://kansascity.legistar.com/Legisla ... t|&Search=

Authorizing sale to Port KC of the land for the Flaherty Collins project, if i understand correctly
in the River Market and bounded by 3rd Street on the
north, 4th Street on the south, Main Street on the east, and an access alley on the west
That makes it seem like it is just the pocket park, I do still think it is related though. It mentions using the park as a layout down construction.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Tower crane application made to the FAA. 286ft tall.
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/se ... 008&row=72
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:42 pm Tower crane application made to the FAA. 286ft tall.
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/se ... 008&row=72
Excellent. Please start in the Fall.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

When is this thing gonna start?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

FangKC wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:17 am CityScene KC

UPDATE: City Harvest project now expected to begin construction in Spring 2024, according to developer. Recent negotiations with FAA over building height part of delay.

https://www.facebook.com/cityscenekc
As posted in the "Status and Future of the River Market Area" thread, project should start in the spring after final FAA approval was issued.

I hinted at "Bellwether" being the building name. That comes from some people around town that are familiar with this. A fitting name if you ask me.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Just to clarify -- so they FFA *has approved* the project now and they're able to start? Or they're just hoping/assuming it'll be approved and ready by Spring?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I'm saying it's been approved, but that might not be the case. The FAA previously approved it, but hasn't approved the construction crane yet.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Hah, they just got determined within the past hour. No hazard, all a go.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

bspecht wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:03 pm Hah, they just got determined within the past hour. No hazard, all a go.
The power of Rag knows no limits
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

FAA has given a determination of No Hazard...all the cranes are good to go