Freight House Podium Project - 20th and Walnut

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Freight House Podium Project - 20th and Walnut

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I'm involved in this one. I won't go into details that much, but it'll be a warm and friendly design.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^All market rate, no incentives?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:33 pm I'm involved in this one. I won't go into details that much, but it'll be a warm and friendly design.
If NSPJ architects or bland, beige suburban retail inspired 'emulated' historic architecture is involved, I may just puke.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

earthling wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:54 pm ^All market rate, no incentives?
An incentive package was approved by the PIEA Board a month or so ago. The incentives were slightly reworked to allow a few more units than previously allowed, so this will get incentives and have market-rate units.
Critical_Mass wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:12 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:33 pm I'm involved in this one. I won't go into details that much, but it'll be a warm and friendly design.
If NSPJ architects or bland, beige suburban retail inspired 'emulated' historic architecture is involved, I may just puke.
NSPJ is not involved. It's also not going to beige, bland or suburban. The architect is continuing to work through some challenges but generally, it's moving in a very positive direction. Inspiration for the design on this one was pulled from existing buildings as well as new ones in other cities. This won't be a historic replica at all. The goal is to create something like you'd see in parts of DC. Take that, and imagine it, as you wish. Renderings should be available in the next month or so.

The high parking space count is a whole other story that I won't get into, but we're working it out.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

CompassKC page for the Lux Living project has been made. Nothing uploaded yet. Since I no longer work at Lux and I'm venturing out entirely on my own, I'm unsure if the design changed much from when I left back at the beginning of July. We'll see though. Hoefer Welker is the architect on this one.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 9fccd62313
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Looks like the project will go thru City Plan Commision in late September.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Chris your prediction may come true that Lux pivots all in on Freight House since river fell through
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

There are indicators that the Riverfront site is still being worked on as well.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:55 pm Chris your prediction may come true that Lux pivots all in on Freight House since river fell through
We'll see.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Renderings Released of Freight House Village Plan, Spring Start Anticipated

Lux Living has released preliminary renderings of its proposed Freight House Village residential and retail development at 20th and Walnut and hopes for a spring start on the 250-unit project.
Alston said his Freight House Village plan still calls for 250 apartments and a restaurant at the corner of 20th and Walnut. About 10 of the units will be walk-up, townhome-style residents
He anticipates seeking rezoning from the city for the project in early Fall. The estimated cost of his plan is about $60 million. The architect is Hoefer Welker.

https://cityscenekc.com/renderings-rele ... lYo3l6FX94
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Looks great. The big office tower behind it is on the back-burner/kiboshed for now I take it?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I like it. I’m guessing they axed the podium tower because office is dead?
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:26 am I like it. I’m guessing they axed the podium tower because office is dead?
I don't believe so, its been stated a few times that the office/hotel portion would be a later phase. I suppose it was edited out to focus on the immediate upcoming residential project.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Cool. Looks nice.
longtimelistener
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by longtimelistener »

Great look for the area and a bit of diversity in design from what we've seen recently with Artistry, CityClub, etc. From the rendering, it looks as if it could be steel frame construction too which is nice to see more robust/long lasting building materials being utilized. Big fan of the townhome walkups too!
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

looks great and keep the projects coming.

Hopefully we can get a nice mix of designs and styles and eventually so additional high rise type towers downtown.

I know that with the uncertainty now with office space and such you can't do anything but still would love to see buildings go up into the air where appropriate.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

So is Lux's project for this right now just building the one new building with 250 units? I thought it involved renovating the storage building too, and maybe even some other abandoned buildings.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Nice project. Hopefully they build their riverfront project too. Seems like proposals in pipeline are sort of drying up a bit in KC lately, so need to keep Lux Living active.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:53 pm Nice project. Hopefully they build their riverfront project too. Seems like proposals in pipeline are sort of drying up a bit in KC lately, so need to keep Lux Living active.
Good thing Mayor is about to change the whole process for development!
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:51 pm So is Lux's project for this right now just building the one new building with 250 units? I thought it involved renovating the storage building too, and maybe even some other abandoned buildings.
Lux is only developing the multifamily residential component. The warehouse renovations and office tower components are still 3D Development / Vince Bryant.