Freight House Podium Project - 20th and Walnut

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Freight House Podium Project - 20th and Walnut

Post by im2kull »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:51 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:26 pm It reads specifically that they may remove the hotel component?
Ah, yes my bad. Was skimming it. I do wonder what the Strata status is if they're considering Podium here.
Strata is alive and has legs.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

im2kull wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:20 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:26 pm It reads specifically that they may remove the hotel component?
Ah, yes my bad. Was skimming it. I do wonder what the Strata status is if they're considering Podium here.
Do tell?!? Same concept or shifting uses? Has the design (parking podium) changed at all?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Love to hear it!
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Come on 2kull don't leave us hangin!
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:27 pm

Do tell?!? Same concept or shifting uses? Has the design (parking podium) changed at all?
Not privy on the current design. But, the few remaining details are being worked out and it should by all measures come to fruition.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

im2kull wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:33 am

Not privy on the current design. But, the few remaining details are being worked out and it should by all measures come to fruition.
Good to know, thanks!
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Are they thinking about breaking ground this year at all?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

If Vince and 3D are still the dev I wouldn’t be holding my breath for anything
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

So in the Strata thread it was posted that Strata was 100% dead. I’m confused. Can you shed some light? Did it go from looking good to dead in 48 hrs? Not too surprised but curious as the difference in reporting. Thanks
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

dukuboy1 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:16 pm
So in the Strata thread it was posted that Strata was 100% dead. I’m confused. Can you shed some light? Did it go from looking good to dead in 48 hrs? Not too surprised but curious as the difference in reporting. Thanks
How can it not be dead? It was proposed prior to the pandemic when there was maybe a 10% chance of it happening. Post pandemic, there is 0% chance. Everybody had to know that.

However, Copaken projects typically don't "officially die". They just sit as renderings for decades. So if somebody says Strata is officially dead, that tells me that something else has taken its place. It could be another vaporware project or it could be a totally different developer etc. Otherwise Copaken would just keep it as a project for the next 20 years along with their other "projects".
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If Copaken holds on to it much longer, the current building will eventually get demolished and it will become an event parking lot for the Midland Theater.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

FangKC wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:33 am If Copaken holds on to it much longer, the current building will eventually get demolished and it will become an event parking lot for the Midland Theater.
Or an empty grass lot
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I2K posts it’s alive

NT gets curious and reaches out

Source tells NT it’s dead

Maybe?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

GRID wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:41 pm

How can it not be dead? It was proposed prior to the pandemic when there was maybe a 10% chance of it happening. Post pandemic, there is 0% chance. Everybody had to know that.

However, Copaken projects typically don't "officially die". They just sit as renderings for decades. So if somebody says Strata is officially dead, that tells me that something else has taken its place. It could be another vaporware project or it could be a totally different developer etc. Otherwise Copaken would just keep it as a project for the next 20 years along with their other "projects".
10%? It was like 6 months out from going to construction before covid?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Cratedigger wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:38 am I2K posts it’s alive

Maybe?
That's what I figured. NM's source prob also told him "lol yeah I trolled someone about this a few days ago. Yeah, it's actually dead" lol
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Cratedigger wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:38 am I2K posts it’s alive

Maybe?
pretty much
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:57 am
GRID wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:41 pm

10%? It was like 6 months out from going to construction before covid?
Do you actually believe that? Even in cities that had vibrant office markets prior to covid, office buildings had like a 50/50 chance of being built after the were announced. If that. So in a city like KC where nearly all new office space goes up in the suburbs, it just was not realistic to think that project had a lot of traction. They were fishing for tenants like they have with all their other office projects. That was never going to break ground without it being significantly pre-leased.

Hopefully they develop it as residential or hotel or let somebody else do it and not just sit on it for 20 years or turn it into parking.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Sorry to stir it all up. I was just curious as we had conflicting reports within days of each other. If I had to bet, it’s dead just because any new building relying on office tenants is facing significant in KC, as there is no major employer looking to be downtown & companies in general rethink office space with WFH environment. I was hoping someone had 100% solid info one way or the other on the project. But I’ll assume it’s dead, along with everything else rumored for downtown. Just take the believe it she I see it approach
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

dukuboy1 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:07 am Sorry to stir it all up. I was just curious as we had conflicting reports within days of each other. If I had to bet, it’s dead just because any new building relying on office tenants is facing significant in KC, as there is no major employer looking to be downtown & companies in general rethink office space with WFH environment. I was hoping someone had 100% solid info one way or the other on the project. But I’ll assume it’s dead, along with everything else rumored for downtown. Just take the believe it she I see it approach
Who said anything about office space? 🤔😉
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

it was in regards to a post someone made here about Strata having legs and the follow up. Sorry for the confusion.

As for this actual thread & project, I have no idea where it stands but if it is like many of the others proposed within the last 3 years I'll assume it is dead or at best case on life support. Too many good projects have been stalled by politics, and of course the economy not doing developers favors with work from home, inflation, high interest rates, etc. I feel we have reached the tie spinning stage for a while. Lots of ideas and proposals but very little traction & action. Most of which is uncertainty related to developers being able to finance projects