Denver

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Denver

Post by alejandro46 »

I agree, KC isn't comparable to Denver. Maybe in the 70s and 80s it was but that was before my time and Denver has exploded in the past 10-20 years - 25% pop increase since the last census https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-ci ... population.
KC increaase by 10% since the same 2010 census https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-ci ... population.

MSA wise, it's got almost an extra million population. If you look at the Frontal Range megaregion, you are talking 5 million people along an interstate with Denver as the center. Lots of growth from coastal states, tourism growth, tech, etc.

I've been visiting Denver/Steamboat since I was a little kid. KC obviously can't compete with literally mountains, and the COL in Denver is substantially more than here with longer commutes as well. We should aspire to increase connectivity with both business and transportation links to Denver so people can live here while frequently visiting the area instead of moving.
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

Drove through Denver last week on I-70. I counted at least 7 if not 9 construction cranes on the North, Northeast side of Downtown. I felt quite jealous and never felt our City Government is failing us in development so badly. Whether it is true or not I do not know. People flee California due to cost of living. We need to meet with mid-size businesses' for relocation to our area. If I am misguided here please feel free to correct me.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCTOGA wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:14 am Drove through Denver last week on I-70. I counted at least 7 if not 9 construction cranes on the North, Northeast side of Downtown. I felt quite jealous and never felt our City Government is failing us in development so badly. Whether it is true or not I do not know. People flee California due to cost of living. We need to meet with mid-size businesses' for relocation to our area. If I am misguided here please feel free to correct me.
I’d rather not have California transplants here if I’m being honest.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I was in Denver a couple weeks ago. First thing I did getting off the I70 on my way into town was go into The River North area to the northeast of downtown and eat at a food hall. Just from that perspective I could see maybe as many as 8-10 cranes. I have driven through/flown into Denver many times on the way to skiing or other mountain stuff but hadn't spent much time in the city previously. The amount of wealth and growth was really striking. Did some shopping in the Cherry Creek area, just walking around it was like a showcase of every possible 2020-2022 model luxury car on the market.

Been doing a good bit of travel in the last month, having visited Denver, Austin, Atlanta, Nashville; the completely bonkers growth of these sunbelt/western cities is mind boggling. I couldn't imagine being an existing resident and seeing that level of growth. I want to see healthy, sustainable growth here in KC. From my perspective Denver or Austin level growth is not desirable. If we can bank 10-12% growth of KC proper the next couple decades like we did the previous and also get that growth to happen in a healthy pattern then I will be more than content to sit back and watch whatever happens to the likes of Denver from the bleacher seats.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:30 am Nashville. . . . bonkers growth
Off-topic of Denver, but I have never understood how/why Nashville has become such a "hot" city. Unlike Denver it's not adjacent to mountains, and unlike Atlanta or Austin I am not aware of it being a really fast-growing jobs center. What industry or phenomenon is sustaining all this growth in Nashville? What planning did Nashville undertake (which maybe KC could emulate) to stimulate this growth?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chrizow wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:53 am What industry or phenomenon is sustaining all this growth in Nashville? What planning did Nashville undertake (which maybe KC could emulate) to stimulate this growth?
1. College kids and adults who act like college kids. It's a shell game. It was Portland in the 90s, Austin in the Aughts and now Nashville. Those 2 towns more or less grew up, so the locust-like swarm of perpetual adolescents had to find a new food source to devour.

2. None.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

chingon wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:25 am
chrizow wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:53 am What industry or phenomenon is sustaining all this growth in Nashville? What planning did Nashville undertake (which maybe KC could emulate) to stimulate this growth?
1. College kids and adults who act like college kids. It's a shell game. It was Portland in the 90s, Austin in the Aughts and now Nashville. Those 2 towns more or less grew up, so the locust-like swarm of perpetual adolescents had to find a new food source to devour.

2. None.
Never seen a more apt description for the hot cities of the last 30 years.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Nashville capitalized on music scene, has more established university, not really mountains but perty terrain, relatively more established airport hub and hyped itself up well.

But the growth is too hot and infrastructure is a mess. Portland did a better job with smart growth which KC should emulate.

Btw Nashville core county showed a loss last year, more than STL city. it's the burbs taking off.
viewtopic.php?p=636672#p636672
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Re: Nashville - in addition to Vanderbilt University, it is home to Nissan North America HQ (Franklin TN), Bridgestone Tire NA HQ, HCA Healthcare HQ and the massive Gaylord Opryland convention center/hotel.

Separately, they have done an amazing job aggressively building up and promoting the country music brand, the real live music industry, and the downtown area since about the mid-late '90s, including some of the classic "comeback city 101" plays like downtown stadia, performing arts and convention centers, etc. There is an enjoyable book/collection of essays called Greetings from the New Nashville that covers some of this evolving story from several different angles.

I remember visiting for the first time in maybe 2006-2007ish, and being pretty underwhelmed. I hit Broadway, checked out the downtown area, and stopped at a lonely White Castle on the edge of downtown on the way out of town (don't judge!). Sitting in the drive-thru and gazing over what I remember as the relatively distant skyline, I thought it was an OK kind of place with a few neat honkey tonks, sort of Westport kind of vibes downtown and a handful of attractive historic buildings immediately along the river.

Visting for the second time last summer for a conference at Opryland (and well aware of the city's recent trajectory), I managed to catch a glimpse of that same White Castle, near I-40, across the street from a forest of new glass towers (Nashville Yards, I think), cranes, and a Whole Foods. Just a huge amount of development in a very concentrated area, in a very short period of time.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Add to your list state capitol, not an insignificant contributor to growth, it seems. And, finally, add the difficult-to-measure, but very real, factor of cachet. Austin attained it. Nashville attained it. KC has not. Young people want to live someplace that other young people think is - well, I'm old so I'll say - cool. I think it's a very important factor in the sort of rapid and unprecedented growth you see in these cities.