Denver

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Denver

Post by mgsports »

https://www.westword.com/restaurants/de ... 9-11083845
In and Out Burger coming to Colorado so a chance Kansas maybe. Also Colorado getting Portillo's before KS and MO do. Also have that Chicago Pizza Joint that we don't have yet.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Denver

Post by brewcrew1000 »

The closest in and out is 477 miles away in Dallas from downtown, the Eastern Edge of Denver is 580 miles away so if Denver got one it would make no sense if KC got one since Dallas Metro is closer.
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

https://www.google.com/search?safe=stri ... s-wiz-serp 8 hours and 29 Minutes to Colorado Springs from here.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

And most of Dallas can be reached in 7 hours or so, North Dallas especially
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Another tower for Denver

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Ghost Train Podcast Explores Denver’s Troubled Rail Expansion, with Lessons for Other Locales

https://la.streetsblog.org/2022/03/11/g ... r-locales/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:24 pm Another tower for Denver

You got to give us the what,where, when, who, etc. Looks great!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

https://denverinfill.com/2022/03/650-17 ... -back.html

Comments are interesting. "not tall enough" "too much above ground parking" "not very inspiring". I agree, this new trend of tower on parking podium in USA towers is annoying, but at least the ratio is not silly. It's basically one of the KC Light buildings with three times as many floors on about the same size parking podium and it seems to have decent street activation.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I thought this might interest some here.

Denver's new affordable housing rules are effective July 1 has caused a rush of development submissions with 82 projects proposed in the last five weeks with likely many more before the June 30 deadline to be under the current rules.
requires any new residential developments with 10 or more units to designate a certain number of those units as affordable housing. That number ranges from 8% to 15%, depending on project location, whether the development is for rent or for sale and how much residents make below the area median income
Sounds very similar to DC and Montgomery County MD requirements.

I don't think most projects in Denver ask for incentives where I "think" KC's affordable housing rules only affects projects asking for incentives? (rents are much higher in Denver than KC so most projects don't need incentives). Which makes me wonder if maybe a city is better off subsidizing projects if it keeps rents down.

Here is the link:
https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news ... cDOWDtcWgE
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

That type of policy would be ridiculous in a city like Kansas City. At least with the current affordable housing set up, you have to (under the rules and if they're followed) provide affordable housing for those incentives. We all know this policy will one day come here, but it's a dark day when government mandates you provide affordable housing no matter what. Massive overstep.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

It wouldn't work in KC its hard enough to get solid development w/o some form of incentive.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Denver had already been slowing down a bit. This could be a bad blow.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:03 pm Denver had already been slowing down a bit. This could be a bad blow.
Denver still gets a shit ton of development. They build more in six months than KC does in probably a decade when you look at everything combined (hotels, office, residential, condos in urban and suburban locations). So "slowing down" is relative. But this will slow residential development for them till they get used to how to incorporate affordable housing in new builds.

I don't think KC has the incomes to support the types of rents that it would take to support a rule like this. Developers can barely make the numbers work in KC now even with incentives.

But I can see the city doing something like this in the coming years. KC gets very little new construction that is not asking for incentives, so a local law like this would shut everything down for sure in KC. Doesn't mean they wouldn't do it though because I think it would make a lot of people happy.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:14 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:03 pm Denver had already been slowing down a bit. This could be a bad blow.
Denver still gets a shit ton of development. They build more in six months than KC does in probably a decade when you look at everything combined (hotels, office, residential, condos in urban and suburban locations). So "slowing down" is relative. But this will slow residential development for them till they get used to how to incorporate affordable housing in new builds.

I don't think KC has the incomes to support the types of rents that it would take to support a rule like this. Developers can barely make the numbers work in KC now even with incentives.

But I can see the city doing something like this in the coming years. KC gets very little new construction that is not asking for incentives, so a local law like this would shut everything down for sure in KC. Doesn't mean they wouldn't do it though because I think it would make a lot of people happy.
They had been building about twice as much. And now they're slowing down. There's a whole new playing field post-2020. Very different numbers we're seeing for some major cities.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:41 pm
GRID wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:14 pm

They had been building about twice as much. And now they're slowing down. There's a whole new playing field post-2020. Very different numbers we're seeing for some major cities.
Denver consistently has 25-35 tower cranes up. Even if you half that, they do very well. And it's not just tower cranes, they build a ton of the 5-6 story stuff too. I'm not trying to compare Denver to KC as that ship sailed long ago. Denver is a much bigger city now. I'm just saying that even if growth slows there, it will still be pretty high growth and the growth they do get tends to be higher quality than what KC sees. Higher end taller, more expensive hotels, more actual condos, more office space etc. Even if Denver stopped growing, it would take 15-20 years of 25 tower cranes a year for KC to catch up. You have been to Denver recently. You have to know this.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

This is metro, not city...

Surprising KC metro passing San Diego..

Baltimore...

Detroit...
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:48 pm Denver
Are we talking city or metro?

I know their metro might be beating ours by a good chunk. They're building suburban neighborhoods like crazy.

…but urban wise it doesn’t seem too different. I’m sure the stats say their urban core is growing faster but I don’t think it’s by a ton from what I’ve seen. That’s not a knock on Denver- I think KC is doing well. I have been there twice this year and I think downtown foot traffic is about the same.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm talking more long term. It's hard to really compare much of anything when only lookin gat 2019 and beyond, especially with how much covid effected everything. KC has had a relatively recent spike in activity while places like Denver have been very strong for a long time now. The big question I wonder is if KC has already sort of run out of steam to some degree as the recent growth in KC might not be sustainable. Even so, I don't know how you can argue how much places like Denver and SD have grown compared to KC.

Maybe it's because it's easier to see it in those places because of all the new construction where KC repurposed so many buildings, but even then, the sheer number of new office, hotel towers and apartments in Denver and SD makes KC look like it's barely changed in the same time period.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The rate of development in Denver is not comparable to KC. Even if somehow our numbers are close to theirs- their urban development blows us out of the water. Its not even close. If you dont think so- id wager that you probably havent been there. It speaks for itself if you have been there over the past 5-10 yrs
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

kboish wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:51 am The rate of development in Denver is not comparable to KC. Even if somehow our numbers are close to theirs- their urban development blows us out of the water. Its not even close. If you dont think so- id wager that you probably havent been there. It speaks for itself if you have been there over the past 5-10 yrs
That's my point. I have been there recently and follow Denver development very closely and have for years. You can't even compare the cities anymore. Downtown KC is tiny compared to Downtown Denver now. Their infrastructure, transit, bike lanes etc is also decades ahead of KC and maintained at a much higher level. Denver may slow down, but I'm sure things will ramp back up there.