EV charging in condo garages

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
kcmiz
Pad site
Pad site

EV charging in condo garages

Post by kcmiz »

What’s the current charging situation in downtown/midtown/plaza parking garages?

Does anyone have experience getting their HOA to let them install a port in their lot/garage?

Does anyone use public charging as their sole charging solution? Are there that many public spots yet?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: EV charging in condo garages

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

kcmiz wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:54 pm What’s the current charging situation in downtown/midtown/plaza parking garages?

Does anyone have experience getting their HOA to let them install a port in their lot/garage?

Does anyone use public charging as their sole charging solution? Are there that many public spots yet?
Not directly related, but I recently saw that Tesla was looking to expand their urban charging infrastructure, which could mean parking garage chargers. They update their map fairly regularly with projects under construction, nothing in DTKC yet but something to keep an eye on.
https://www.tesla.com/findus?bounds=38. ... O%2C%20USA
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

A sizeable fraction of downtown garages have EV chargers; based on this map, there's at least 50 charger locations in the greater downtown area, most of which are in garages.

The only public spot downtown I can think of offhand is on SW Blvd just east of Broadway, but I'm sure there are more.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

My condo frowns on people charging their scooters, etc in garage. Maybe if you can arrange to have some form of meter installed and pay for usage.

Separately, KCPL was considered a leader in rolling out public charging stations. KC was way ahead most of US when it started to take off. Not sure about now.
https://www.chargepoint.com/about/news/ ... ouncement/
https://cleanchargenetwork.com/kansas-c ... e-network/
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO can speak to this, I believe he had a plug in charger installed a few years back.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

swid wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:28 am The only public spot downtown I can think of offhand is on SW Blvd just east of Broadway, but I'm sure there are more.
I believe there is one at 10th and McGee.

I'm trying to think of more but failing. But yeah, a lot of garages downtown have them.
Last edited by WoodDraw on Thu May 28, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

https://www.plugshare.com/ has all of the KCPL/Evergy Clean Charge Network chargers listed on it as well as others. There are plenty of slow chargers for convenience charging in garages throughout the center city. I often don't use them as my car has a large battery and I'd rather pay my off-peak rates at my house.

You should review your HOA bylaws regarding EV chargers. Potentially, you may be able to get one installed if you cover the costs which could get quite expensive, depending on location. However, other times if the charger is in a shared/public location, potentially the HOA could cover the cost. Just check the bylaws and ask the board.

As an EV owner since March 2018 (Tesla Model 3), I have read about this but not had first hand experience since I have lived in a townhouse and now bought a home. Depending on your chosen EV range and driving habits, having a charger at your home or work is pretty critical. Many Hyvees have Chademo 50kw, but those adapters can be pricey.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:01 am DaveKCMO can speak to this, I believe he had a plug in charger installed a few years back.
When we charged at home, we just plugged our plug-in hybrid into an existing outlet and paid the HOA $25 a month for the privilege (too much, but wasn't in the mood to negotiate). Now we just charge at Lead Bank's public L2 station (faster than home) and my husband (the main driver) charges at a new L2 charger at his office.

Eventually we will have to address L2 chargers in the building rather than having each owner come up with their own solution. Most couples are down to one car so there are extra spaces to swap in case people change powertrains.