Re: Best Local Trails

Post by gfenn11 »

Thanks for the list y'all!
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

MARC is soliciting public comment on their current round of Planning Sustainable Places projects. Some great potential trails on this list including:

- Greenline on Vine St from 18th to 31st street
- The “bridge of death” over MO 9 and US 169 interchange barrier
- Greenline Southern Leg (doesn't say exactly but probably along the rail from Broadway to Vine?)
- NKC levee trail from the HOA bridge to just past Harrah's
- A plan to better connect Berkley Riverfront with Columbus Park, East Bottoms, Pendleton Heights, etc

Neat stuff

https://gis2.marc2.org/psp/PublicCommentListing.html
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Took the Mill Creek trail today from Olathe to the Kansas River (it's officially named after a person who's name I cannot remember). Wonderful trail system. Probably my favorite trail in the KC area at this point. Smooth well maintained trail, not too busy and not especially hilly although you can find the hills if you wish around Shawnee Mission Park which the trail system traverses. It's about 20 miles round trip from K10 to the Kansas River.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Highlander wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:02 pm Took the Mill Creek trail today from Olathe to the Kansas River (it's officially named after a person who's name I cannot remember). Wonderful trail system. Probably my favorite trail in the KC area at this point. Smooth well maintained trail, not too busy and not especially hilly although you can find the hills if you wish around Shawnee Mission Park which the trail system traverses. It's about 20 miles round trip from K10 to the Kansas River.
Gary Haller. It's a gem.

There are a few offshoots if you need to add miles. Clear Creek goes west past K7 and 91st Street will take you west to Blackhoof Park and further.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

grovester wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:26 pm
Highlander-I'd also recommend Line Creek Trail and Heritage Park/Coffee Creek trail in Olathe, though you'd need to drive out to a trailhead.
I've been riding the Coffee Creek trail a bit lately. It's short but the ride can be extended by riding around Heritage Park at it's NW terminus. My wife really likes it because it's relatively flat (except for the park) and not very crowded.

Now for the Public Service Announcement - the construction on US69 in south Overland Park (adding a new toll lane) has closed the Indian Creek Trail and will close the Tomahawk Creek Trail after Memorial Day weekend at the highway. That severely shortens each trail system if you are starting in the east and heading west. Johnson County has shown the detours but they involve riding some distance on rather busy streets to access the western portion of the trail system (only busy streets cross US69). I suspect this closure will be of a fairly long duration (the lanes are scheduled to open in 2025). This will definitely crimp my style as I ride at least every other day, but one can combine the eastern part of Indian and Tomahawk Creek trails together for a relatively long ride that can be extended into Missouri (where the trail is poorly maintained).
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

My wife got an ebike and it has been a wild success in getting us to explore new trails without worrying about hills.

She turns it off on flat parts so she still feels like she's getting good exercise.

She spends a lot of time waiting on me now.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Does anyone on this urban forum actually live in the city? Sometimes I get the feeling everyone is just sitting on their computer in the Northland or Shawnee.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:00 pm Does anyone on this urban forum actually live in the city? Sometimes I get the feeling everyone is just sitting on their computer in the Northland or Shawnee.
Lots of people drive out to that area from KC to ride where they don't have to worry about cars. How ironic though.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I ride the Trolly Trail, brush creek and gilliam often. But I also drive out to ride Rock Island and little Blue.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:00 pm Does anyone on this urban forum actually live in the city? Sometimes I get the feeling everyone is just sitting on their computer in the Northland or Shawnee.
Downtown!
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

JOCO, but that’s due to family proximity and compromise (wife didn’t want urban living :roll:)
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:47 pm … compromise (wife didn’t want urban living :roll:)
We need to start winning more women over to the idea of living in the urban core…or choosing better wives. ::shrug::
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:05 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:47 pm … compromise (wife didn’t want urban living :roll:)
We need to start winning more women over to the idea of living in the urban core…or choosing better wives. ::shrug::
TBF she’s an urbanist, but one in the sense that good urbanism prevents sprawl, because she wants rural living. So I mean…? That’s a win right? :lol:
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

As of July 1st - Hanover Place.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:13 pm
As of July 1st - Hanover Place.
Hanover Place is one of those neighborhood names that just reside on a map.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:01 pm Hanover Place is one of those neighborhood names that just reside on a map.
Yeah. That's what I go off by until I learn more. I think that area is Hyde Park, but I'm not sure.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:21 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:01 pm Hanover Place is one of those neighborhood names that just reside on a map.
Yeah. That's what I go off by until I learn more. I think that area is Hyde Park, but I'm not sure.
Ye Olde Hyde Park, sir. Broadway to Gillham.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Oh man, bummer about Tomahawk and Indian Creek Trails. Last year I was riding to visit my parents who live at 143rd and Switzerish via Trolley Track, Lee Boulevard and Tomahawk Creek a couple times a month. About 20 miles one way and just one way is a huge slog on a regular bike for my wimpy ass. Only tried it a couple times before I got an e-bike and that ride would clean my clock for the whole next week. But I got an E-bike and it turned a really challenging ride into just the right amount of lightish exercise. Haven't been doing that lately though cause I've got a little one who isn't old enough to hold his head up in a child seat properly quite yet. Can't wait to get back to some long rides once he can though.