Hawaiian Bros

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Hawaiian Bros

Post by brewcrew1000 »

This local franchise seems to be expanding at a nice rate. Another one will be opening in Lees Summit and they are expanding to Austin Texas. This franchise could actually get huge. The concept is really good. I wish the setup was more like Chipotle but they make it work. The one in Overland Park is packed around lunch time.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Hawaiian Bros

Post by dukuboy1 »

I've eaten at the one in NKC and it is great. They have the online order really dialed in. Plus that location was packed when they were open prior to the Covid crap. They are an interesting story. They started in OR and expanded there but they had a friend in KC who was a real estate investor and approached him about bringing the concept to the Midwest. The first 3 locations in KC were OP, NKC, and Belton of all places. Really good food that keeps growing in popularity by word of mouth so far
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I've eaten at the one in Belton. I don't get it. Overpriced bland pulled pork in a city with dozens of great pulled pork options.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:02 pm I've eaten at the one in Belton. I don't get it. Overpriced bland pulled pork in a city with dozens of great pulled pork options.
I honestly think its one of those quantity over quality scenarios. You get a ton of food; 2 meats, rice and mac salad for like 10 bucks.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:02 pm I've eaten at the one in Belton. I don't get it. Overpriced bland pulled pork in a city with dozens of great pulled pork options.
If you were expected a slow smoked, BBQ pit master style of food you will be disappointed. It's different and intended to be different, with different flavor profiles. The chicken is great, and I'll agree the pork is ok, nothing fancy but very tasty. The whole meal is good, especially the macaroni salad made with the Kewpie Mayonnaise. Very creamy and tasty. Overall very good and I hope it does well
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:46 pm I've eaten at the one in NKC and it is great. They have the online order really dialed in. Plus that location was packed when they were open prior to the Covid crap.
And they've adapted to curbside really well, one of the better setups I've experienced so far. They seem to have been doing brisk business. (Though I imagine still pretty diminished with NKC's temporarily-reduced daytime population.)
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I guess I'll try it again
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

New locations coming to Shawnee and Ward Parkway Mall. This place seriously has the potential to become a large nationwide chain restaurant.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:01 pm New locations coming to Shawnee and Ward Parkway Mall. This place seriously has the potential to become a large nationwide chain restaurant.
Would like to see a location in PNL.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

The forever empty corner of 14th/Main would work well.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

gfenn11 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:43 pm The forever empty corner of 14th/Main would work well.
I'd rather fill in closer to the action. Former Famous Dave's or Bar Louie location would be more ideal.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

It would work well downtown for sure.

I'm sure it may hurt a little the NKC location, but I doubt it because there are a ton of Northlanders that love the place.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Olathe.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

shinatoo wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:51 pm I guess I'll try it again
If you do, I'd recommend the Kilauea chicken. I've only had that and one other thing, and the other thing was so sweet it was like dessert chicken. But I thought the Kilauea was pretty good. I also rather like the macaroni salad, which I couldn't really put my finger on while eating it. It was really kind of bland. Creamy, but bland. Needed pepper or paprika or mustard or something, I thought. But I really liked it anyway and wasn't sure why. Dukuboy1 solved the mystery. Kewpie Mayo = MSG = duh, of course this is good.

That said, I also agree a bit with the quantity over quality thing. They do load you up with food, it's cheap, and not really fancy, sophisticated, or well-presented (or pretentious, if you prefer). But idgaf as long as it tastes good.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Independence former Sheridan's.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

They also have new stores in garland texas and 2 ghost kitchens in chicago. This place has the makings to be the next chipotle
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Hawaiian Bros is planning 21 new locations, including 7 in the metro. That includes a Midtown location scheduled to open in July. Anyone have any idea where that might be?
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Also down by 135th Street but not in Olathe yet.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:16 pm Hawaiian Bros is planning 21 new locations, including 7 in the metro. That includes a Midtown location scheduled to open in July. Anyone have any idea where that might be?
Pure speculation but the former Soli Reprographics building on the SE corner of Armour and Broadway is gutted, painted white, with new large window openings, ready for a tenant. It's similar in size to the NKC location, even has a similar rounded corner.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Critical_Mass wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:04 pm
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:16 pm Hawaiian Bros is planning 21 new locations, including 7 in the metro. That includes a Midtown location scheduled to open in July. Anyone have any idea where that might be?
Pure speculation but the former Soli Reprographics building on the SE corner of Armour and Broadway is gutted, painted white, with new large window openings, ready for a tenant. It's similar in size to the NKC location, even has a similar rounded corner.
This seems like a very logical spot, good foot traffic, hell kc life people might keep them busy through the entire lunch rush but there doesn't seem like a lot of parking over there or is there one in back?