COVID-19 Casualties

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: COVID-19 Casualties

Post by FangKC »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:20 am
grovester wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:06 am Debatable. Our healthcare outcomes overall are worse, so apparently you don't get what you pay for.
Are you saying in general health? Or simply COVID outcomes?
In many measures, for what we spend on healthcare, our general health outcomes are not good. Many countries spend far less and have better outcomes, and healthier populations.

One of our primary challenges with maintaining a healthy population is the fact that so many are uninsured and can't afford to go to the doctor, or take medications. Others have some insurance, but still can't afford their co-payments and share of medication costs.

Many seniors, even with the Medicare drug plans, still have significant drug costs and go over the Canadian and Mexican border to buy medicines. When the borders shut down because of COVID, that became more difficult.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

FangKC wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:57 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:20 am
grovester wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:06 am Debatable. Our healthcare outcomes overall are worse, so apparently you don't get what you pay for.
Are you saying in general health? Or simply COVID outcomes?
In many measures, for what we spend on healthcare, our general health outcomes are not good. Many countries spend far less and have better outcomes, and healthier populations.

One of our primary challenges with maintaining a healthy population is the fact that so many are uninsured and can't afford to go to the doctor, or take medications. Others have some insurance, but still can't afford their co-payments and share of medication costs.

Many seniors, even with the Medicare drug plans, still have significant drug costs and go over the Canadian and Mexican border to buy medicines. When the borders shut down because of COVID, that became more difficult.
I recall reading, and I’ll have to find the article to help substantiate this, but many of those studies aren’t actually comparing the outcomes of their citizens, but citizens overall satisfaction with their healthcare. This info was being passed off however, as nations outside of the U.S. having large margins better healthcare. I’ll see if I can find the link, because it showed the some very convincing data that health outcomes in the U.S. actually far and away exceeded many other developed countries.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Health satisfaction and health outcomes are different things.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

FangKC wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:47 am Health satisfaction and health outcomes are different things.
I’m aware, I’m saying (anecdotally) I’ve seen articles try to use satisfaction to show outcome differences
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Fascinating yet disturbing read on the problem with displacement of shipping containers and shift in consumer goods interest now causing major issues with all kinds of supply chains and may continue through rest of year. The end result is that it's harming KC region's grain exports, freight industry and more broadly, shortages of many goods, interrupting or raising costs of construction/manufacturing as well...

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/busin ... 14891.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I've been getting groceries delivered during the pandemic, and the delivery person told me that the stores are regularly running out of things like bread, milk, and other items. This has happened the last three deliveries. I don't order groceries weekly like some; I can go three weeks at a time, so this has been happening for an extended period since the New Year. My cousin said the stores in St. Joseph have also been out of bread the last two times she went. Anyone else?
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i haven't really run into any extended misses at cosentinos. one or two things might be out on a given trip, but they'll be back in stock like normal next time i'm in there. i don't go at the same time/day every week so it could just be bad timing w/r/t deliveries. and anyway, this was a typical experience for me before the pandemic, too.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

I’m not in KC, but we had milk prices just completely crash in April and May to like $1-1.50 a gallon. Just getting back up to $2.49 now. Always seemed in stock when I go to the store. Only pinch was meat and even then that was like two weeks.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I buy a lot of groceries and my experience has been hit or miss. Like not being about to find ramen, or some diet sodas.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The only time there were whole categories out was Feb-Mar. I was going to 3-4 stores to get my whole list.
By April everything was back in stock to some degree.

To this date it's hard to find specific products sometimes but there's something in every category every time at Hy-Vee
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I was wondering if some of the supply chain was affected by the big freeze, and Texas losing their water and power grid for an extended period.

On another note, I haven't been able to buy 12-packs of Fresca for several weeks, and it's bumming me out. :lol:
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

FangKC wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:24 pm I was wondering if some of the supply chain was affected by the big freeze, and Texas losing their water and power grid for an extended period.

On another note, I haven't been able to buy 12-packs of Fresca for several weeks, and it's bumming me out. :lol:
True, went to Trader Joe’s the end of that week and a lot of the perishables were still wiped out (bread, veggies, etc). They’re only getting their own stuff and I guess the areas distributor is in like Plano or something.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I read that a lot of Texas vegetable growers were wiped out by the freeze.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

What is it?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Red Robin!

Done.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Yes it is and their lease was up.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

its cuz i ate all the fries bankrupted the whole firm
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:31 pm What is it?
it's a link to a website
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Business Journal is reporting that Blue Koi is permanently closing its' 39th Street location due to staffing shortages.