Urban Core Drivers

Transportation topics in KC
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Urban Core Drivers

Post by herrfrank »

Red light cameras, although unpopular, often help curb the worst behaviors. They really do work, as they often result in financial penalties and licensing enforcement.

There also needs to be at least cursory "traffic cop" presence. Cross State Line, and it's very visible.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

herrfrank wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:38 pm Red light cameras, although unpopular, often help curb the worst behaviors. They really do work, as they often result in financial penalties and licensing enforcement.

There also needs to be at least cursory "traffic cop" presence. Cross State Line, and it's very visible.
Blowing reds is a big problem that I see out there basically everyday. I see why cameras are unpopular and have my own reservations about them but agree they could be effective at curbing some of the bad behavior. Unfortunately the bad driving culture is so much more pervasive than just stepping on the gas to make a light. I have no idea what could even begin to address the many issues I'm seeing out there. I have nothing to back it up but I really do the believe things have gone to hell on the roads since COVID. I don't recall it being this bad when I was growing up here but maybe I'm just more attuned to the issues now after living car free in a big city for over 5 years.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:59 pm
herrfrank wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:38 pm Red light cameras, although unpopular, often help curb the worst behaviors. They really do work, as they often result in financial penalties and licensing enforcement.

Blowing reds is a big problem that I see out there basically everyday. I see why cameras are unpopular and have my own reservations about them but agree they could be effective at curbing some of the bad behavior. Unfortunately the bad driving culture is so much more pervasive than just stepping on the gas to make a light. I have no idea what could even begin to address the many issues I'm seeing out there. I have nothing to back it up but I really do the believe things have gone to hell on the roads since COVID. I don't recall it being this bad when I was growing up here but maybe I'm just more attuned to the issues now after living car free in a big city for over 5 years.
Covid for sure, YOLO!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

So many of KC's streets are just smooth(ish) surfaces for traffic to slide around on. The lack of physical features like medians means that if you don't care about the marks on the road there literally nothing that can stop you.

The two intersections mentioned in FlippantCitizen's post

Not surprised cops don't do anything. As long as it's people getting hurt, and not windows being broken at the Plaza, they couldn't care less
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

My oldest kid is going to start walking to school now and will have to cross Armour and Main and I am really worried about all the reckless driving. Right now its not that bad at the intersection because of all the construction but I am seriously worried once the streetcar is running and it is stopped at that intersection because the streetcar is basically going to cause a blind spot in the other lane when the streetcar is stopped.