OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Post by Riverite »

I think a mixed use readaptation of their offices with residential could really liven up that area by Union Station. Could be a really good opportunity to get rid of some parking lots even if it’s slightly dissapointing that it’s not a new employer. However the old building could be used as affordable units
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Riverite wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:59 am I think a mixed use readaptation of their offices with residential could really liven up that area by Union Station. Could be a really good opportunity to get rid of some parking lots even if it’s slightly dissapointing that it’s not a new employer. However the old building could be used as affordable units
Washington Square park is just really sad. Nothing there that makes anyone want to go in which just turns it into homeless hangout. Make the building in Main residential and cede control of the park and upkeep to them.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

City scene article seems to indicate a move, relocate, consolidate. If case, not many new net jobs for downtown or KCMO.

Ideally old building would attract jobs from outside KCMo but probably better suited for residential. Though largish floor plates may mean windowless second bedrooms.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Can they demo the old Blue KC building and throw the baseball stadium in Washington square park? Maybe surround it with apt towers?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I almost think this is better than a company from out of town. Blue Cross will be the HQ occupying that entire building. They will be there a long time and take pride in it and become a major corporate citizen inside the downtown loop with a high profile building. W&R was never really a pro downtown company, they were a corporate welfare company.

This also opens up what is now probably the most prime urban real estate in all of downtown KC. The old blue cross building and all that parking will now likely be purchased and the entire site developed with something dense. I would imagine the best use of that office building is to tear it down, but it might be able to be incorporated into a new development as residential or mixed use. Either way, all that surface parking needs to be developed and it's in a prime location.
CrossroadsUrbanApts
Ambassador

Post by CrossroadsUrbanApts »

Aren't some of the property tax incentives related to creation of new new jobs for the area? Would the result of this relocation be the incentives are pulled back?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

kboish wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:22 pm Can they demo the old Blue KC building and throw the baseball stadium in Washington square park? Maybe surround it with apt towers?
No sorry the rag has endorsed E Crossroads site
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:16 am
Riverite wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:59 am I think a mixed use readaptation of their offices with residential could really liven up that area by Union Station. Could be a really good opportunity to get rid of some parking lots even if it’s slightly dissapointing that it’s not a new employer. However the old building could be used as affordable units
Washington Square park is just really sad. Nothing there that makes anyone want to go in which just turns it into homeless hangout. Make the building in Main residential and cede control of the park and upkeep to them.
Washington Park is a major disappointment, it's even a bit of an embarrassment due to its prominent locale. It could be a much more integral part of the KC streetscape. The existing BCBC building is large enough to be an impactful residential conversion, but I would prefer a new build for that purpose. Rather than maintain the old N-S oriented building along Main, build a slightly lower structure with a front on Main but also spread it out along the entire north end of Washington Park with room for a coffee shop and a restaurant on that frontage. That configuration would provide some readily available users for Washington Park.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Next question is did building get its asking lease rate.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

kboish wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:22 pm Can they demo the old Blue KC building and throw the baseball stadium in Washington square park? Maybe surround it with apt towers?
Not big enough for even the smallest MLB parks.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

How does it take 2 years for interior build-out and move-in? Seems like a purposeful dragging of the feet.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:23 pm How does it take 2 years for interior build-out and move-in? Seems like a purposeful dragging of the feet.
Agree but I also read it as full move over. Assume some will move sooner than others.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

We need to build another Class A now. I guarantee we'll miss out on something if we don't have it ready to go.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Miss out on someone moving 3 streetcar stops away?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:16 pm Miss out on someone moving 3 streetcar stops away?
No we need available class A space when something comes up, like Starbucks. But yes, places looking at JoCo we should fight for.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:23 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:16 pm Miss out on someone moving 3 streetcar stops away?
No we need available class A space when something comes up, like Starbucks. But yes, places looking at JoCo we should fight for.
I am wondering when the last purely speculative office tower was built in DT KC? I believe City Center Square (now Lightwell) was built in 1977 without a major tenant. One KC was completed in 1988 and I believe construction was started before Executive Hills had signed on a major tenant. 1201 Walnut was completed in 1991 but I think Great Plains was signed on as a tenant before construction began. So I am thinking1988? I think there may have been Crown Center building in the interim but I seem to remember all of those having anchor tenants before construction began. 34 years ago? There was a spate of office development in the 80's early 90's that hasn't been seen since.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I meant to add I agree with you I just thought I'd make a funny first
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Highlander wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:02 pm
I am wondering when the last purely speculative office tower was built in DT KC? I believe City Center Square (now Lightwell) was built in 1977 without a major tenant. One KC was completed in 1988 and I believe construction was started before Executive Hills had signed on a major tenant. 1201 Walnut was completed in 1991 but I think Great Plains was signed on as a tenant before construction began. So I am thinking1988? I think there may have been Crown Center building in the interim but I seem to remember all of those having anchor tenants before construction began. 34 years ago? There was a spate of office development in the 80's early 90's that hasn't been seen since.
Not sure, but they leased this thing quickly so I’d say build another one and go for it.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Can’t help but thinking if Waddell Reed had stayed to occupy this building that BCBS would’ve had Strata or TMobile site tower built for their new office.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I would be careful making all these statements until you know how much they're paying in rent.