OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Post by daGOAT »

Its a strange choice to use metal fins on the sides pedestrians actually pass, while its most aesthetic on the side with cars zipping by. I'm very curious to see what will come of the south side's ground floor when the South Loop Cap is built. I guess the natural elevation between Baltimore and Wyandotte will force a design that likely cover most of it. Luv the added density, and opportunity to test spec office waters, and can't wait to see who moves in.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I did not think this side of the building would look good and the renderings looked bad to me, but it turned out much better, really like this and it really hides the garage well.

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Now if only there were workers inside it
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It could be a challenge to lease out given those large windowless sections. May eventually lease out at a steeper discount than expected. A baffling decision to use blocked out windows rather than a different tone of LEED certified glass.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:07 am It could be a challenge to lease out given those large windowless sections. May eventually lease out at a steeper discount than expected. A baffling decision to use blocked out windows rather than a different tone of LEED certified glass.
Glass curtain wall covered in a perforated metal panel would also have worked
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

kboish wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:03 am Now if only there were workers inside it
What's annoying me is thus is "the speculative building" and it wasn't supposed to be spec so it's the absolute worst building for this
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCMO got bit in the ass before with a tenant-specific tower that ended up having to be demolished and rebuilt for a new tenant because that tenant's design concept didn't work well. I guess we should be happy that's not happening again.

West Edge building for Bernstein-Reid

viewtopic.php?p=308327#p308327

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0407042 ... 312!8i6656

Replacement for Polsinelli.

viewtopic.php?p=491228#p491228

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0406705 ... 384!8i8192
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:35 pm
kboish wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:03 am Now if only there were workers inside it
What's annoying me is thus is "the speculative building" and it wasn't supposed to be spec so it's the absolute worst building for this
Yeah, it’s a terrible spec building. It really requires an entire company to move,

I haven’t seen it, but someone told me that the lobby and elevator design is just fucked. This was awhile ago so maybe they fixed it.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

What happens if it goes unleased indefinitely? Does the cost to payoff the construction debt fall to Waddell Reed and the company that acquired them? If that's the case, I wonder if they would ever just bite the bullet and move rather than pay for a building they were not using?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:24 pm What happens if it goes unleased indefinitely? Does the cost to payoff the construction debt fall to Waddell Reed and the company that acquired them? If that's the case, I wonder if they would ever just bite the bullet and move rather than pay for a building they were not using?
It's amazing how long large office buildings (brand new or existing) will sit empty. They build spec towers here in the DC area and they can sit empty for 2-3 years and then eventually comes some major company to fill at least major portion of them. The owners typically won't reduce rents etc either. I think they are often just massive tax deductions for companies, so it's not as big a deal as you may think for it to sit empty for year or two or more.

This is not a very large office building though, yet it has the presence and high profile location. I would think SOMEBODY in metro KC would like to have a building like this to call their HQ home. But maybe not.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:24 pm What happens if it goes unleased indefinitely? Does the cost to payoff the construction debt fall to Waddell Reed and the company that acquired them? If that's the case, I wonder if they would ever just bite the bullet and move rather than pay for a building they were not using?
WR has a long term lease so the builder is getting paid regardless
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

normalthings wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:28 pm
earthling wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:07 am It could be a challenge to lease out given those large windowless sections. May eventually lease out at a steeper discount than expected. A baffling decision to use blocked out windows rather than a different tone of LEED certified glass.
Glass curtain wall covered in a perforated metal panel would also have worked
Or breaking up the south-facing facade so it's not, y'know, all glass.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

normalthings wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:00 pm
I realize that but wondering why WR would not want to occupy space it's leasing if it cannot sublet the space to some other company? That is if they plan on staying in KC. Their JoCo properties would most likely be easier to unload than a downtown building.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:26 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:00 pm
I realize that but wondering why WR would not want to occupy space it's leasing if it cannot sublet the space to some other company? That is if they plan on staying in KC. Their JoCo properties would most likely be easier to unload than a downtown building.
WR is mostly redundant.There aren’t employees to fill the space
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I do like the look of that black retail corner. Even more indication a cap is on it's way
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Isn't this building supposed to be ready to start leasing starting next week?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

C'mon KCMO, arrange a deal with Oracle and turn the rest of Bannister site into data centers.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

earthling wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:04 pm C'mon KCMO, arrange a deal with Oracle and turn the rest of Bannister site into data centers.
How much of Cerner's operation at the Bannister site could be housed in this building? Probably not much given that so much of the tower is really a parking lot. But it would be nice to see Oracle building additional buildings downtown.