OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
smh
Supporter

Re: OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Post by smh »

trailerkid wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:47 pm How do we prevent future design abortions like this?
I think it would help to have CPC consist of planners and architects (instead of the hodgepodge of today). But this one was denied by CPC if memory serves and instead approved by council over resident opposition with Lucas casting the tiebreaking vote in favor.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I think design is fine the problem was the ground floor design
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:39 pm I think design is fine the problem was the ground floor design
It is more parking than it is building in the middle of a key downtown walking corridor. It is a bad design that shouldn't have been approved. But I agree the absence of a ground floor is #1 or #2 on the list and another key issue.
cityscenekc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cityscenekc »

It was approved by City Plan Commission with misgivings, and Lucas did cast the decisive supporting vote: https://cityscenekc.com/waddell-hq-desi ... -planners/
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Design was uninspired, but it's another good sized building on a DT empty lot. We can start being super picky on design when half the plots DT aren't parking or grass.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:29 am Design was uninspired, but it's another good sized building on a DT empty lot. We can start being super picky on design when half the plots DT aren't parking or grass.
This

Although I like the idea put on here before of mandating some form of publicly accessible space. Even if it is used for internal common area or building storage until a tenant/public use is found.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It's pretty when you walk around at night at least
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's already built. I'm more worried about the parcels next to the Mainstreet Theater not getting good street-level activation.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

FangKC wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:51 pm It's already built. I'm more worried about the parcels next to the Mainstreet Theater not getting good street-level activation.
I'm a little less worried on that front since Cordish is likely the one to develop it and they seem to more or less "get it" despite some flaws.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

So I know BCBS won't occupy this for a few more years and I'm guessing the South Loop Park will need to be nearing completion before the retail space on Truman is filled. But why not start leasing some of these studio spaces on 14th? Does anyone know what the plan is for those?

It would be really neat to have something like a high end jeweler or watch retail/repairer here. Or maybe even something not high end but fun like Annie Austen (which is opening their first storefront in Zona Rosa soon)? Space is small enough that maybe they could justify the rent?

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

This site plan triggered me.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Tenant Finish permit for 1400 Baltimore just issued.

KCDowntown
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

KCDowntown wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:03 pm Tenant Finish permit for 1400 Baltimore just issued.

KCDowntown
Some details and renderings of what that may look like
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... rters.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I hope someone is planning what happens with the existing BCBS building in the West Yards.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:28 am I hope someone is planning what happens with the existing BCBS building in the West Yards.
The 6.14-acre site includes the company's 201,493-square-foot office building, One Pershing Square, plus close to 5 acres of surrounding surface parking it acquired last year for "more flexibility" in considering its future real estate options. A listing price was not disclosed.
In terms of redevelopment, local real estate experts last year said Blue KC's property theoretically could support numerous possibilities, including new transit-oriented apartments, coworking spaces and public gathering areas, through either a renovation or teardown of the existing offices.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... liers.html
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Such opulent new digs. I recall when BCBS had the lion's share of the health insurance market in KC and had humble front door HQ on Broadway across street from Uptown and back room operations at Armour and Warwick.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Crews have been moving equipment into the building the past few days. Looks like interior build-out will begin soon.