Alameda Tower

Re: Restoration of City Control Over KCPD

Post by alejandro46 »

Mayor and staff is putting positive spin on it:
Morgan
@morgan_said
On BOPC lawsuit:

1) The City didn’t file suit, the Board did;

2) Judge ruled—on said lawsuit filed by BOPC—that during regular budget cycle, Council CAN compel Board to negotiate with the City, should KCPD want more than minimum statutory requirement.

A win for Kansas Citians.
So as we discussed earlier in this thread and I want to say we came to same conclusion, KCMO can't change the budget mid-fiscal year, but no issues doing it in future years.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

So basically, be careful what you ask for. You just may get it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Goonies wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:55 pm Mayor Qs record as mayor is still winless
He "won" affordable incentives requirement and also "won" a sharp drop in apartment projects
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

And yet as far as i can tell people still like him, outside of here and dumpsters like tony’s kc. It’s almost like real eatate development isn’t the most important thing to the average citizen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:00 pm
Goonies wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:55 pm Mayor Qs record as mayor is still winless
He "won" affordable incentives requirement and also "won" a sharp drop in apartment projects
I think he's done fairly well with covid, and fairly poorly with affordable housing.

Like most mayors I suspect he'll want a legacy. Right now he doesn't have one, so hopefully he starts doing something.

I sympathize a bit with his timing though, even as someone that voted against him
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Goonies wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:08 pm
Meh. Has he made any statements on the Bravo project yet or is he waiting to see the polling on it?
He is both for and against it depending who asks.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:22 pm
Goonies wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:08 pm

Meh. Has he made any statements on the Bravo project yet or is he waiting to see the polling on it?
He is both for and against it depending who asks.
Meh, I blocked him long ago. I was responding to you who I respect far more.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:37 pm And yet as far as i can tell people still like him, outside of here and dumpsters like tony’s kc. It’s almost like real eatate development isn’t the most important thing to the average citizen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
People vote based on jobs.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:10 pm I think he's done fairly well with covid..
Yes, having a mayor make national news in shorts, flip flops, and maskless at Lake of the Ozarks while mandating masks in his city is definitely doing fairly well with Covid...
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

im2kull wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:01 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:10 pm I think he's done fairly well with covid..
Yes, having a mayor make national news in shorts, flip flops, and maskless at Lake of the Ozarks while mandating masks in his city is definitely doing fairly well with Covid...
Not sure it’s the best source ever
http://www.citymayors.com/coronavirus/u ... ses-2.html
The top five cities include New York City, Boston, New Orleans, Miami-Dade and Nashville. The five least affected cities include Kansas City, San Jose, Sacramento, Portland, and Oakland.
We’re the only city not on the west coast for least affected.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I hadn't heard about the Ozarks story and don't really care since he's not the mayor there and as far as I know has no ability to order them to do anything.

For the record, I've also spent most of the summer in flip flops, shorts, and maskless. Going to miss summer!
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Didn't vote for him because of his record as my district councilman was off-putting, but he's done a decent job. Considering that his biggest issues (COVID and KCPD control) so far have required coordination/confrontation with a state government that gives zero shits about KC it's a lot to expect that there were going to be big, sweeping wins like you saw with James or Barnes. It's hard to see how he could have done better on COVID policies, and I give him a ton of credit for picking the fight over KCPD control. Remember that James wouldn't touch the issue in any substantive way. The critical part of the ruling was that it gave Lucas a roadmap to do next April what he wanted to do this summer.

For me the jury is still out on affordable housing. Given how wild the construction market is right now, I can't judge the policy after only a few months. (A few months is probably too soon to judge any policy). For perspective, projects not subject to the policy are starting/stopping now a lot more than in the past. Seems to be the nature of the market at the moment.

From an urbanist perspective, the City Manager hire looks like a big success. Lucas gets some credit there, too.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chaglang wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:26 am Didn't vote for him because of his record as my district councilman was off-putting, but he's done a decent job. Considering that his biggest issues (COVID and KCPD control) so far have required coordination/confrontation with a state government that gives zero shits about KC it's a lot to expect that there were going to be big, sweeping wins like you saw with James or Barnes. It's hard to see how he could have done better on COVID policies, and I give him a ton of credit for picking the fight over KCPD control. Remember that James wouldn't touch the issue in any substantive way. The critical part of the ruling was that it gave Lucas a roadmap to do next April what he wanted to do this summer.

For me the jury is still out on affordable housing. Given how wild the construction market is right now, I can't judge the policy after only a few months. (A few months is probably too soon to judge any policy). For perspective, projects not subject to the policy are starting/stopping now a lot more than in the past. Seems to be the nature of the market at the moment.

From an urbanist perspective, the City Manager hire looks like a big success. Lucas gets some credit there, too.
Housing might be one of the toughest aspects to solve in the entire city. The police control/budget issue is going to be mild by comparison.

To his credit he quickly caught on when shown that free transit helped him on this topic without needing things people dislike such as vouchers or public incentives.

I was glad to see the water department got a new overflow control deal when the previous plan was making bills go up stupid fast. Can't have affordable housing if the city is part of the problem.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Off topic. Just stop please.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:12 am Off topic. Just stop please.
Deleted. This place is moderated.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Thanks Dave. I kinda enjoy leaving them so everyone can see who the horses asses are.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Kansas City Star is reporting that Kansas City Missouri Police Chief Rick Smith has been forced to resign by the Board of Police Commissioners.

https://twitter.com/KCStar/status/14632 ... 66949?s=20
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:53 pm The Kansas City Star is reporting that Kansas City Missouri Police Chief Rick Smith has been forced to resign by the Board of Police Commissioners.

https://twitter.com/KCStar/status/14632 ... 66949?s=20
An odd twist: https://twitter.com/KrisKetzKMBC/status ... 1135602689
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Now KMBC are reporting that Smith is going to announce his retirement in 2022.

Kansas City Police Chief Rick Smith denies report he's being forced to resign

The Kansas City, Missouri Police Department released a statement, saying that when Chief Smith was hired in august 2017, he made a commitment to the BOPC that he would stay in this position no more than five years. As per his commitment, he plans to retire sometime in 2022. He will announce that date well in advance to ensure a smooth transition for the police department.

KMBC reached out to the mayor's office and was told that the mayor will not discuss personnel matters with the press.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Update on the search for the new KC Police Chief
The Board of Police Commissioners is holding a public forum on Saturday with the shortlisted finalists for the job.

As yet, we don’t know who has applied, because the board hasn’t released any of their names.

The police department has been led by Joe Mabin on an interim basis since the retirement of Rick Smith in April. Mabin says he’s not interested in becoming the permanent chief.

If you’d like to see who is being considered and even ask them a question, head on over to the Mohart Center, 3200 Wayne Ave. The forum is this Saturday at 10 a.m.
https://flatlandkc.org/news-issues/nick ... intendent/