Restoration of City Control Over KCPD

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Restoration of City Control Over KCPD

Post by Cratedigger »

Also, there's a push by state lawmakers to bring St. Louis police back under state control

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local ... 3e6885cdc9
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Stacey Graves named KCPD chief
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:31 pm Also, there's a push by state lawmakers to bring St. Louis police back under state control

Another republican from the suburbs trying to tell a city how to run itself. Since state control of KCPD has worked so well can't wait to see how it works out in STL.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:02 am
Cratedigger wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:31 pm Also, there's a push by state lawmakers to bring St. Louis police back under state control

Another republican from the suburbs trying to tell a city how to run itself. Since state control of KCPD has worked so well can't wait to see how it works out in STL.
STL was under state control a number of years ago. Some people debate it was better under state control than local and others say the opposite (that it’s better now). The problem St. Louis has is having a Circuit Attorney that doesn’t do her job of getting the hardcore criminals locked up and charged. When she tries to, she fails at it to where judges throw charges out or the State AG is complaining about it. Kim Gardner may have been re-elected but she hasn’t earned any more support since then. She may have lost support.

So the dilemma isn’t if the SLMPD should be back under state control (which wouldn’t change anything), it’s what to do with Kim Gardner and officer’s reluctance to want to do their job to the best they can knowing there’s a high chance the people they arrest will be let back out.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:53 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:02 am

STL was under state control a number of years ago. Some people debate it was better under state control than local and others say the opposite (that it’s better now). The problem St. Louis has is having a Circuit Attorney that doesn’t do her job of getting the hardcore criminals locked up and charged. When she tries to, she fails at it to where judges throw charges out or the State AG is complaining about it. Kim Gardner may have been re-elected but she hasn’t earned any more support since then. She may have lost support.

So the dilemma isn’t if the SLMPD should be back under state control (which wouldn’t change anything), it’s what to do with Kim Gardner and officer’s reluctance to want to do their job to the best they can knowing there’s a high chance the people they arrest will be let back out.
She is elected by the people she serves. If they don't like her, she won't be re-elected. How has the prosecutor's budget been funded? How is the jail budget funding? What is the HS drop out rate? The justice system is complex and nuanced animial. Crime and sentences are a function of many different aspects. Just because more people go to jail doesn't necessarially mean crime goes down. Having KCMO allocate a quarter of its budget to policing with minimal transparency and accountability is not going to help fund the prosecutors I know that.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:39 pm Stacey Graves named KCPD chief
I saw this and I'm not sure I have an opinion one way or another as I do not know much, if anything about her. I am interested in that it is a woman in this leadership role and looking to see what her perspective is to leadership and vision. I hope she is an outstanding choice and she does wonderful things.

KCPD has been on kind of a roller coaster of dysfunctional leadership as of recent. Hope she breaks that trend
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Four Former KC Mayors Talk Shop at Plaza Library Event
James: “I firmly believe in local control of the police department. I said when I was on the police board if they ever try to go to Jefferson City and pass the legislation…that allowed police officers to live outside the city that I’d basically burn their houses down.

“You should not have a badge and a gun in our city if you don’t think enough of it to actually live there.
https://cityscenekc.com/four-former-kc- ... ary-event/

I agree with James on this.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Jefferson City controlling anything in this city bothers me a lot more than where cops sleep. I find it pretty distasteful that they want to come play cowboy here and scramble off to Lee's Summit at night, but it's small potatoes compared to the state - especially this state, which is unquestionably one of the worst state governments in the country - having a thing to do with our policing.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

chingon wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:02 pm Jefferson City controlling anything in this city bothers me a lot more than where cops sleep. I find it pretty distasteful that they want to come play cowboy here and scramble off to Lee's Summit at night, but it's small potatoes compared to the state - especially this state, which is unquestionably one of the worst state governments in the country - having a thing to do with our policing.
I’ve always found the residency requirement for any city position to be a little strange, I can understand a little more for cops, but you’re telling me the information desk employee needs to have city residency? If you expand your offering to the entire metro, you’d likely get better products
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:39 pm
chingon wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:02 pm Jefferson City controlling anything in this city bothers me a lot more than where cops sleep. I find it pretty distasteful that they want to come play cowboy here and scramble off to Lee's Summit at night, but it's small potatoes compared to the state - especially this state, which is unquestionably one of the worst state governments in the country - having a thing to do with our policing.
I’ve always found the residency requirement for any city position to be a little strange, I can understand a little more for cops, but you’re telling me the information desk employee needs to have city residency? If you expand your offering to the entire metro, you’d likely get better products
This is especially true for a more specialized profession like engineering.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

kboish wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:25 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:39 pm
This is especially true for a more specialized profession like engineering.
I have a couple buddies in my national guard unit up in Nebraska who live like 30 miles outside of Omaha and they’re on the Fire Department there. It seems they have no problem filling their positions, considering the don’t have a residency requirement. Something the city should consider with some roles.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Is the State of MO historically less corrupt than the City of KCMo?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/la ... Oy7RiNQte8

Lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the state of Missouri's control over the KCPD filed. Hope it makes some headway. Pendergast was a long time ago.

As an aside, I notice a lot of the people on facebook commenting on retaining state control are ardent Trump supporters who believe in passing control and autonomy down to the lower levels of government - unless they don't agree with the particular government entity that is in control. At that point, control needs to be passed back up to someone that agrees with them.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^^ To be fair, Democratic initiatives on policing haven’t improved crime rates in our cities either. I think a good compromise would be a trial return to local control. If crime rates fall, it becomes permanent. I’m just not sure our mayor and council would make the crime situation in our city any better.
MidKC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by MidKC »

The constitutionality of it wouldn’t depend on whether or not the city is good at it though.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

MidKC wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:00 pm The constitutionality of it wouldn’t depend on whether or not the city is good at it though.
Law has been so politicized anymore, I don't know if it matters anymore in this country.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Some of the highest crime rates are in so-called red states. It's not just as easy as what party is in control. New York State and New York City have among the lowest crime rates in the country, and lower than many so-called "red" states.

More often it has more to do with the poverty rate, how many students are failing in schools, drug traffic, and state gun policy. Even policing practices can make a difference.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

FangKC wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:33 am Some of the highest crime rates are in so-called red states. It's not just as easy as what party is in control. New York State and New York City have among the lowest crime rates in the country, and lower than many so-called "red" states.

More often it has more to do with the poverty rate, how many students are failing in schools, drug traffic, and state gun policy. Even policing practices can make a difference.
Most crime, and especially the vast majority of murders, are in urban areas. Democrats just haven’t found a way to solve that for the amount of money that goes to it and Republicans are fine to just sit in the suburbs and let it happen as long as it doesn’t affect their communities. I just don’t think changes in who’s in charge of the police is going to change much.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

FangKC wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:33 am Some of the highest crime rates are in so-called red states. It's not just as easy as what party is in control. New York State and New York City have among the lowest crime rates in the country, and lower than many so-called "red" states.

Break down the demographics is much larger than politics. Soci-Economics play a huge part.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

The argument for local control should have little to do with crime rate. Police should be accountable to the people that they police, not one man living halfway across the state.