1650 Broadway

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: 1650 Broadway

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Isn't that exactly the land that started this thread?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:20 pm Isn't that exactly the land that started this thread?
The land purchased by CBC is not the same as the 1650 Broadway site.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Project removed from the developer's website.

KC GIS lots show one of the 2 lots are owned by EPC/CBC JV now.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

A partnership that includes EPC Real Estate Group LLC and local builder Dan Carr has gotten the go-ahead from the Federal Aviation Administration to develop a skyscraper of up to 350 feet, or about 30 stories, just west of the Kauffman Center, EPC President Mike McKeen said.
McKeen said EPC and Carr envision a two-phase project. The first phase would involve a tower with hundreds of apartments above a hotel and retail space on the site's northern portion.

The skyscraper at 16th and Broadway could house anywhere from 250 to 400 apartments, depending on its permitted height and final unit sizes. The hotel underneath would be a high-end concept with a heavy focus on food, beverage and entertainment components, McKeen said. Structured parking construction would be included in the project's first phase, sized to support the tower's final square footage.

From there, a second-phase project could include new offices in a shorter building sized based on tenant interest on the site's southern portion.
McKeen said his partnership soon plans to demolish other vacant structures on its properties, including a building at 1650 Broadway that formerly housed Concentra Urgent Care. A pre-demolition inspection was scheduled this week, the city's development database shows.
EPC and Carr have enlisted Hoefer Welker as architect for the high-rise, which would be clad in exterior glazing and architectural metal panels, according to the FAA materials. Kimley-Horn would be civil engineer.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ition.html

Details on this development
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Bring it on. Too bad the FAA takes their time. Once they get the height nailed down, we’d probably see plans submitted.
The agency now continues to study whether to permit a project that would peak above 500 feet, or about 40 stories, on much of the block bounded north to south by Interstate 670 and 17th Street, and west to east by Washington Street and Broadway.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

My old neighborhood. I'll be watching this one.There used to be apartments in that area I had friends from Ben Franklin Elementery that lived there. Hope they don't take the mexican restaurant just north of 17th street.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

A 40-story apartment and hotel tower on Broadway across from the Kauffman Center?

That’s what a development group has in mind for the first phase of a big proposal that eventually could include a second high-rise building.

But first, the developers–GDC Financial, B16 Capital and EPC Real Estate Group–have to persuade the Federal Aviation Authority to allow them to stretch their proposed tower taller.

The FAA recently okayed building up to 320 feet on the site.

“We’re still trying to get up to 500 feet ideally,” said Dan Carr, a principal at US Federal Properties and EPC.

“We want to build 40 stories or something like that. The city manager (Brian Platt) wants more height there.”
He added his group has a letter of intent from a hotelier that’s not currently in the market. The project also would include 18,000 square-feet of retail, mostly for restaurants, as well as garage space for tenants and visitors.

As for a potential second high-rise, it could either be an office building or multi-family, depending on market demand.

While design work already is underway, the timing of construction depends on lining up financing for the development.

EPC also recently developed a 33-unit apartment project at 17th and Madison on the Westside, and is involved with proposals for a 246-unit apartment deal at Third and Grand in the River Market, and a 300-unit development at 7421 Broadway in Waldo.

The high-rise development proposal on Broadway is the second tall development proposed for downtown in recent weeks. Lux Living is exploring a project at 14th and Wyandotte that would include a 20-story apartment building and 10-story hotel.
https://cityscenekc.com/developers-look ... an-center/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

such a weird location. Whatever, looks cool
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

It’s clear the design is still a work in progress. Good to see nonetheless. The basic look of the renderings made me not like the design all that much, but I realized it’ll look better in real life.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

As always, I'd like more detail on what's happening at the ground floor (the only floor that matters, haha). I feel like we're seeing a lot of driveways around the buildings, somewhat cutting them off from Broadway. This is a real opportunity to create additional street life opposite the PAC. I hope this design is improved to really promote walkability and not behave like the office buildings south of Crown Center on Grand.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Very underwhelming. Hopefully the design is a work in progress placeholder. It looks like it's a dusted off design from a decade ago or earlier.
Also, very un-urban. No active street frontage. Looks more Corporate Woods than Crossroads. It's one gigantic car drop off / garage entrance fronting the curb.
Please do better.

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

smh wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:59 am As always, I'd like more detail on what's happening at the ground floor (the only floor that matters, haha). I feel like we're seeing a lot of driveways around the buildings, somewhat cutting them off from Broadway. This is a real opportunity to create additional street life opposite the PAC. I hope this design is improved to really promote walkability and not behave like the office buildings south of Crown Center on Grand.
The site is literally surrounded by highways and overpasses. I'd guess the only real pedestrian connection would be between the building and the PAC across the street and the Crossroads. I'm sure they will gear towards that connection. I just don't see this being a place for retail connection or there being a lot of people trudging up the hill there into downtown. I could be wrong.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Big Overland Park vibes

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Critical_Mass wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:16 am Big Overland Park vibes

A spot on comparison photo, nice.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Might be an unpopular opinion but give that better storefront activation and I would love to see that downtown.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Overland Park vibes indeed. Looks like a suburban campus type project. The buildings need to square up and front Broadway, too much circle drive and setback. Profoundly anti-urban.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Think we're being overly critical given where this is. It's never going to be amazing urban space there. Hence "weird location" comment.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:11 am
smh wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:59 am As always, I'd like more detail on what's happening at the ground floor (the only floor that matters, haha). I feel like we're seeing a lot of driveways around the buildings, somewhat cutting them off from Broadway. This is a real opportunity to create additional street life opposite the PAC. I hope this design is improved to really promote walkability and not behave like the office buildings south of Crown Center on Grand.
The site is literally surrounded by highways and overpasses. I'd guess the only real pedestrian connection would be between the building and the PAC across the street and the Crossroads. I'm sure they will gear towards that connection. I just don't see this being a place for retail connection or there being a lot of people trudging up the hill there into downtown. I could be wrong.
I hear you, but the site fronts Broadway which needs street activation. Keep in mind too that street activation doesn't always mean retailers, it can mean all kinds of things--what you're trying to avoid is a blank wall or just driveways/parking lots that create an unpleasant walking environment. Plus with additional projects happening along Broadway we can expect pedestrian traffic to increase--if you give people a pleasant walking environment. As is, I agree with Critical Mass that we're getting strong Dallas/OP vibes.

I think it says something when all of the quotes from a developer are about how tall they want their project to be rather than any discussion of how it interacts with the world around it.

Does this site reach down to 17th? I can't recall, but as we talk about whether people walk along here I can personally say I've walked dozens of times to Los Tules and then up Broadway or 17th on my way home.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:26 am Think we're being overly critical given where this is. It's never going to be amazing urban space there. Hence "weird location" comment.
Respectfully disagree. I don't think this site necessarily needs to front the street in exactly the same way as 1400 Wyandotte, because you're right the environments are different. But minimizing blank walls, offering some sort of street facing activation, reducing obvious parking areas etc along Broadway is reasonable. Broadway will never be better if we just cast it off as a "weird area". It doesn't have to be weird! It can be good!

EDIT: Will also just add, this project seems alright. Just need some clarification on what's happening along the base is all.