Downtown Zoning

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Downtown Zoning

Post by KCLover »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:12 am I’m not sure what could change? Realistically anyway.
How about cutting the concerts off at 10 PM and starting them earlier?

I've attended a few of the big-name concerts in the Live Block and they will advertise the show starting at 7-8 PM, but the headliner comes on at 10-11 PM. I know it's a marketing ploy to have everyone standing around listening to headliner acts and buying drinks for 3 hours, but I think you could cut that between time down and appease everyone.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:12 am I’m not sure what could change? Realistically anyway.
Do something new like "Acoustic at 9pm" and make it be a theme of the location where it's not about raw noise, it's about quality music late in the evening knowing it's an open air venue.

Have two headliners, an upbeat one at 7pm always comes first.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCLover wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:24 pm
How about cutting the concerts off at 10 PM and starting them earlier?

I've attended a few of the big-name concerts in the Live Block and they will advertise the show starting at 7-8 PM, but the headliner comes on at 10-11 PM. I know it's a marketing ploy to have everyone standing around listening to headliner acts and buying drinks for 3 hours, but I think you could cut that between time down and appease everyone.
That would cause a massive negative impact to the downtown bars and restaurants. While I was there, we did make a few proactive changes when One Light opened up. National acts end by 10:45pm on weekdays and 11pm on weekends with a rare exception. Local bands end by midnight and are at a vastly reduced volume compared to national acts. Local bands used to go all the way to 2:00am. Almost all traditional concerts follow a similar format.
Doors:6:00pm
Show:7:00pm
Headliner between 9:00pm and 9:30pm..

Also, national acts don't want to play until after dark if they're the headliner, that's the biggest reason they don't start until after 9pm in the summer months.

All this and other reasons are why I say it's hard to make realistic changes that won't dramatically impact the tenants in a negative way. Especially considering most downtown residents don't mind the noise and enjoy living so close to the action.

Before I left, they made some expensive improvements and even looked at going further but the price tag was sky high.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'm just curious where everyone thinks these events should be? Where should noise be allowed after 10pm in the downtown area?

My rental agreement isn't even this strict about noise.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:57 pm I'm just curious where everyone thinks these events should be? Where should noise be allowed after 10pm in the downtown area?
The current location is the best place - it is an entertainment district after all. I personally don't have a problem with outdoor events being hosted before 12am (weeks) or 1/2 am on weekends.

Right now, anyone looking for modern highrise living is forced to choose between 1 and 2 Light (which are in the Live's line of fire). I would imagine that 3 & 4 Light coming online will allow any noise-sensitive residents that same lifestyle experience albeit quieter.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:57 pm I'm just curious where everyone thinks these events should be? Where should noise be allowed after 10pm in the downtown area?

I don't think anyone here is demanding changes
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:53 pm

I don't think anyone here is demanding changes
True, I believe most folks are fine with it. However if anyone came up with a great idea I’d pass it along.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Lol
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:11 pmLol
Google the videos of this shit. It's a treat.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:06 pm Boom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_disco
These are all the rage! Walking by the one at Boulavardia was a strange site.