Poll: #1 development goal for urban KC

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.

Most important development characteristic for urban KC?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:52 pm

Walkability
44%
Affordability
No votes
Density
51%
Mixed Use
5%
Visual Design
No votes

Total votes: 41

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Poll: #1 development goal for urban KC

Post by flyingember »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:48 pm Can you even have density without walkability naturally increasing though? I don't think I could name a place that's dense yet unwalkable.

Even if the streetscape is total trash, you'll still have everything a shorter walking distance away.
I think it really depends on how you define "walkable"

Because a fit 20-something college student has different expectations than someone in a wheelchair.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

flyingember wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:14 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:39 pm Density without walkability is worthless.
density and walkability without affordability you might as well not build dense or walkable.

There's also an entirely missing category, accessible (public spaces)
Almost every new project built is not affordable for everyone. It's expensive to build new, so tenants usually pay premium rents until the building ages. That is the history of urban life. Most affordable housing is in old houses and apartment buildings. The only new housing that is affordable is heavily-subsidized.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

FangKC wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:35 pm The only new housing that is affordable is heavily-subsidized.
Yes, an many new voices I hear are calling for all new tax subsidized residential buildings to have an affordable component. Personally, I think reduced regulation and easier approvals will increase supply and cut pricing. I am surprised that affordability hasn’t received one vote yet. I thought it would be a leader in the poll.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think the definition of walkable often comes down to whether people are willing to walk there. If you walk 10 blocks on maintained sidewalks past a variety of storefronts, office and residential entrances-- a lot of visual interest, and there are shade trees with surface landscaping, then that's probably a place people will walk some distance without complaint.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0864845 ... 6656?hl=en

If you walk 10 blocks on cracked sidewalks past surface parking lots and hostile, block-long parking garage facades, then most people probably won't walk there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1019008 ... 384!8i8192

When I lived on Quality Hill, I often walked from 10th and Washington to the former public library at 12th and McGee. I had a couple of routes I followed that was more aesthetically pleasant than the other routes at that time (pre-P&L). I rarely diverged from those routes.

When I lived in NYC, I regularly walked 10-15 blocks to go somewhere. I never noticed because almost every route was well-maintained and had enough visual interest to distract me from the fact I was walking. If I had to walk the same distance down Metcalf Avenue, I would drive a car.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I feel like even in walkable communities, if there is abundant parking people will still drive from point A to point B instead of walking.

For example, if I parked across from Harpos in Columbia, MO and wanted to go to Flat Branch (a local restaurant) after, I could either walk or drive. If it's gameday, you know I"m walking. However, on an average day, look at all the parking lots inducing demand for me to drive my lazy self over there and eliminating my need to walk back.