Move to a new server

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Move to a new server

Post by bahua »

Apologies for the unannounced downtime.

I just updated the forum software to the latest version, and copied the backups to the new server where kcrag will live for the foreseeable future.

You may experience some missing content, as the name propagation pixies make their way around the internet. The data in the forum, in its new home, is dated from about 4:30pm CDT, 10/3/2019.

I also want to add SSL through Letsencrypt, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

You are reading this on the NEW server.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Move to a new server

Post by DaveKCMO »

bahua wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:10 pm You are reading this on the NEW server.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:22 pm
bahua wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:10 pm You are reading this on the NEW server.
That made me laugh this morning. Thanks.

And thank you for all you do Bahua. Let us know how we can help.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Bahua, a question that perhaps you can answer. Remember before the rag when the forum was on KCSkycrapers? At that time there was another side to the site for uploading images. Just wondering, were those all lost somewhere along the way?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Hah... I was wondering why it seemed like I'd traveled back in time a little bit when I got on the site just now. (Also explains why I had to log in again.)
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

missingkc wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:03 am Bahua, a question that perhaps you can answer. Remember before the rag when the forum was on KCSkycrapers? At that time there was another side to the site for uploading images. Just wondering, were those all lost somewhere along the way?
Sorry I missed this until now.

KCPowercat operated the KCS site, and maintained a number of additional features, including a searchable and sortable database of the city's tallest buildings, which is what first attracted me to the site in the first place, back in 2003. But over time, the forum's influence overwhelmed the rest. KCP asked me to take it over for him, as he never liked the hassle of managing the forum, and preferred the other site features, so I happily obliged. In 2006 I registered kcrag dot com, and moved the forum there. But life happens. KCP's stewardship of the site's other features languished, and now even the original KCS site is gone, and the domain name appears to be glomming around godaddy's disgusting slimy hands now. If you'd like to see some of those features again, I recommend asking KCP about it. He probably has them on a zip disk somewhere.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

zip. disk.

I see you.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

For what it's worth, which is probably about nothing, I picked up kcskyscrapers.com in spring of 2018 or something after noticing it was available. So it's in my slimy hands, but registered to keep my deets out of the whois, because I don't want random internet terrorists who got mad that I said a thing online burning my house down.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Ah, cool! Well maybe KCP would be willing/able to restore some old features.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Has anyone else found themselves needing to log back in every visit since the move? I click "Remember me" each time and it never does.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Try clearing out cookies. See 'Delete cookies' at the bottom of this page. If that doesn't work, clear rag related cookies manually in your browser.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

scooterj wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:30 am Has anyone else found themselves needing to log back in every visit since the move? I click "Remember me" each time and it never does.
That was definitely the case for me before the move to https, but now my logins persist on all my devices. Though also, if it does idle me out, my browser will dutifully store my credentials, now that it's https, and verfied https. So the worst I ever have to do is hit "login" on a filled form.