Four Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Four Light

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I still think the superior spot is the theatre lot. But by all means, build both sites at the same time...
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Maybe they are switching sites to keep from having too much construction on Truman, if they will keep the entrance ramp. They could just be waiting for the South Loop Cap to be finished to break ground on what has been said to be the tallest and most grand of the light towers. I'm still crossing my fingers for a 24 hour 7-11 on the Truman and Main corner!
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

It’s over a year until groundbreaking.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:31 pm Their is an article in the business journal about this
Doesn’t say anything official about a site switch that I can see
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I bet they still do the theatre site but dang with the 670 cap & 4L going on right there at the same time, that's gonna be a helluva lot of construction in that one spot.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

plus the southwest and southeast corners of Truman and Main.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I think people are over reading it a bit. I think it's just hr block giving up their right to build.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

With this building surely on the horizon, and the South Loop Park plans becoming clearer, I think lining Truman in retail space in 4 Light would be extremely beneficial and successful. I could see 4 Light and the Park being built at the same time, so capitalizing off the highway being hidden, park visitors, and residents who can enjoy their balconies without having their ears blasted by the highway will be an all around win.

For the stuff south of the highway, that's a different story. It will be difficult to fully line that part of Truman with retail space since the site characteristics are a bit different than 2-4 Light.

Excited to see what type of design Cordish rolls with here since this has always been the eyed site of their tallest building.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Hope its not the same solution as the Loew's across the intersection. An "L" shaped building with same height wings like Loews viewed from the convex side can look like a Borg cube. Blocky with no gracefulness.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

moderne wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:52 pm Hope its not the same solution as the Loew's across the intersection. An "L" shaped building with same height wings like Loews viewed from the convex side can look like a Borg cube. Blocky with no gracefulness.
The last rendering I saw had the east/west portion one level while the north/south portion was much taller. Was a fantastic design.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:02 pm
moderne wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:52 pm Hope its not the same solution as the Loew's across the intersection. An "L" shaped building with same height wings like Loews viewed from the convex side can look like a Borg cube. Blocky with no gracefulness.
The last rendering I saw had the east/west portion one level while the north/south portion was much taller. Was a fantastic design.
Love it
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Having the main tower articulated on the west side of the block would be great. Would give a different profile from Two and 3 and look better with the some of the lower parts of KC Place visible in the distance, not just the very upper portion. Not too long ago 14th and Baltimore was as forlorn as any place in the loop. It can become spectacular.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:44 pm With this building surely on the horizon, and the South Loop Park plans becoming clearer, I think lining Truman in retail space in 4 Light would be extremely beneficial and successful. I could see 4 Light and the Park being built at the same time, so capitalizing off the highway being hidden, park visitors, and residents who can enjoy their balconies without having their ears blasted by the highway will be an all around win.

For the stuff south of the highway, that's a different story. It will be difficult to fully line that part of Truman with retail space since the site characteristics are a bit different than 2-4 Light.

Excited to see what type of design Cordish rolls with here since this has always been the eyed site of their tallest building.
This is awesome to hear. That would help break up the "wall". Although it seems like the actual skyline of KC from a distance is never going to really change because buildings taller than 25 stories simply do not go up in KC.

This would actually be a perfect spot for something taller. It's kind of sad that you can see the bottom few floors of One KC place from the south when that building is literally in the middle of downtown. So something in the range of 35-38 stories for the taller section would be ideal even if the shorter section were shorter than Three Light.

Can you give a basic hint to the proposed height of the two sections?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

GRID wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:49 pm Can you give a basic hint to the proposed height of the two sections?
430'
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

im2kull wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:29 pm
GRID wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:49 pm Can you give a basic hint to the proposed height of the two sections?
430'
I’d be absolutely shocked if that were the case. What a difference compared to the others.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Any shot 4L and the building south of Truman come up around the same time?
Last edited by TheUrbanRoo on Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

What is 430' comparable to downtown? 1201 McGee?
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

missingkc wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:38 pm What is 430' comparable to downtown? 1201 McGee?
A little taller than the old Commerce Tower.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Thanks.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

What are the heights of 2 & 3?