Four Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Four Light

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:54 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:12 pm What about that parking lot with the theatre on Main St.?
Future 4 or 5 light location. Still planned to be a residential and hotel combo.
whats the timeline?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:00 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:12 pm What about that parking lot with the theatre on Main St.?
Future 4 or 5 light location. Still planned to be a residential and hotel combo.
whats the timeline?
Not sure with Nick leaving. It’s hard to tell who locally is leading the residential development side now. Last I was in a discussion they were bullish and expected to be up to 6 by 2030.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

That would be amazing the Power and Light will be very densely populated by then.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

daGOAT wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:37 pm That would be amazing the Power and Light will be very densely populated by then.
I love that we're adding residential all over, but I really want there to start being a more concerted effort to get more retail downtown. I wish there were more stores you could go to. Some more shopping, anything like that. I know the Plaza is hoarding it all and so it's tough.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Convince everyone to stop ordering everything online for delivery to their doorstep.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:02 am Convince everyone to stop ordering everything online for delivery to their doorstep.
Exactly.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

chicken and the egg right now downtown. I shop in store as much as possible. There is a lot I can't get in a store downtown or even the urban core. I can't do what you are saying until there are stores.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:40 am chicken and the egg right now downtown. I shop in store as much as possible. There is a lot I can't get in a store downtown or even the urban core. I can't do what you are saying until there are stores.
But retailers can't take the risk hoping there are more people like you who. They're going to look at national trends. I also hate buying clothing online and would much prefer to hit up a store. Not to mention we Americans are so price aware and a retail location will never be able to beat online prices.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:46 pm

whats the timeline?
Not sure with Nick leaving. It’s hard to tell who locally is leading the residential development side now. Last I was in a discussion they were bullish and expected to be up to 6 by 2030.
They are going to have to announce the 4th tower this year if they want to hit 6 by 2030.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:28 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:46 pm

They are going to have to announce the 4th tower this year if they want to hit 6 by 2030.
If I could pick anywhere, I'd put 4L in the planned empty theatre lot, 5L adjacent to that on top of the retail, and 6L next to the T-Mobile Center where they've planned that office building that's never coming
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

whats the timeline?
Heard they are hoping to start next year
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:07 pm

whats the timeline?
Heard they are hoping to start next year
Construction? Or start the “we’re gonna discuss it” phase?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Construction
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Does a 2023 groundbreaking factor in the terribly drawn-out incentive process in KC? Cuz let's be real Three Light could be topped off by now if the city didn't randomly throw in an "hey you gotta incorporate affordable housing" and that was with our last council, which was marginally more acceptable in incentive usage. Though I will admit it does seem like the current council has gotten a little better at encouraging and aiding development.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

daGOAT wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:49 pm Does a 2023 groundbreaking factor in the terribly drawn-out incentive process in KC? Cuz let's be real Three Light could be topped off by now if the city didn't randomly throw in an "hey you gotta incorporate affordable housing" and that was with our last council, which was marginally more acceptable in incentive usage. Though I will admit it does seem like the current council has gotten a little better at encouraging and aiding development.
IIRC, they fleshed out the incentive agreements for future projects back in 2018
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Thats a relief. Is there a cap on the number of projects the agreement applies to?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

daGOAT wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:00 pm Thats a relief. Is there a cap on the number of projects the agreement applies to?
5 or 6 towers
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

daGOAT wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:49 pm Does a 2023 groundbreaking factor in the terribly drawn-out incentive process in KC? Cuz let's be real Three Light could be topped off by now if the city didn't randomly throw in an "hey you gotta incorporate affordable housing" and that was with our last council, which was marginally more acceptable in incentive usage. Though I will admit it does seem like the current council has gotten a little better at encouraging and aiding development.
IIRC they wanted to start in summer 2020 but Covid delayed them starting it for a full year
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

They were originally going to break ground in 2018 before Two Light was finished but the City Council demanded affordable housing despite a contractual obligation to subsidize the parking garages for four towers in the original agreement between the City of Kansas City, MO and Cordish Co. It was a ballsy move that could have soured a relationship, but they seem bullish on the city so now we're getting a full renovated Midland Building. Really KC is lucky to have the commitment of Cordish Co.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

daGOAT wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:25 am They were originally going to break ground in 2018 before Two Light was finished but the City Council demanded affordable housing despite a contractual obligation to subsidize the parking garages for four towers in the original agreement between the City of Kansas City, MO and Cordish Co. It was a ballsy move that could have soured a relationship, but they seem bullish on the city so now we're getting a full renovated Midland Building. Really KC is lucky to have the commitment of Cordish Co.
Maybe they get back on track now with groundbreaking the next tower right when one of them is done?