Four Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Four Light

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:24 pm Update: 4L is being designed now with plans to announce more information this year, including ground breaking target date.

My only worry is this pending recession I'm hearing about.
Are they designing for the theatre spot?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Guess I should have said my only worry is how the recession will impact construction. You can make the argument that building commercially is advantageous during a recession.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Makes sense to get the design advanced to have some flexibility. Cordish has always waited for their current project (in this case 3l) to lease and stabilize to a point they’re happy with before moving forward. Don’t expect anything different here.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:53 pm We already have 3L pushed off because of economy. Now 4L too? Yeah, let's get this thing built as quickly as possible.
3L being delayed had nothing to do with the economy. It was delayed because of the city council, then scaled down because of the delay they caused.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

One Rangers Way by Cordish was announced for Texas. This project isn't a high-rise but the design is great imho.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/money/cons ... a733ae50ec

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

They should build something like this on the old Hilton Inn site at 7th and Washington.

https://kchistory.org/image/hilton-inn ... ffset%5D=1

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1080365 ... a=!3m1!1e3
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

This will be a battle I am sure of it. Doesn't matter what the agreement calls for
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

normalthings wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:23 pm This will be a battle I am sure of it. Doesn't matter what the agreement calls for
Well since the Midland affordable housing project hasn't begun construction yet, maybe Cordish can time that to help 4L's optics
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

freedog wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:59 am
normalthings wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:23 pm This will be a battle I am sure of it. Doesn't matter what the agreement calls for
Well since the Midland affordable housing project hasn't begun construction yet, maybe Cordish can time that to help 4L's optics
Considering that is 3Light's affordable component. Maybe not.....
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

normalthings wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:49 pm
freedog wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:59 am
Considering that is 3Light's affordable component. Maybe not.....
Fair. Just to be able to say, “Oh we’re not just a luxury developer- look at what we’re working on now!” As the 4L discussion is happening.

You’re right though, seems like everything downtown is a battle. Would this be any different?
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

DColeKC wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:15 pm One Rangers Way by Cordish was announced for Texas. This project isn't a high-rise but the design is great imho.

Love this design, would be a great fit for downtown, especially given the hills we have that give certain blocks higher elevations over the next. Would be a neat fit.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

No thank you to that car-centric, pedestrian-hostile Texas design, especially not downtown
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

phuqueue wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:28 pm No thank you to that car-centric, pedestrian-hostile Texas design, especially not downtown
Concur, this isn't appealing. Whatever is made needs to be wrapped around the theatre and include some store facing the park too ideally.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

It would look cool perched up by Lincoln High School but not so much in the loop.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:47 am
DColeKC wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:15 pm One Rangers Way by Cordish was announced for Texas. This project isn't a high-rise but the design is great imho.

Love this design, would be a great fit for downtown, especially given the hills we have that give certain blocks higher elevations over the next. Would be a neat fit.
Agreed, those setbacks are excessive. KCMO really needsto reduce/ eliminate setback requirements, parking minimums and height limitations or flip it to make required maximum setbacks, minimum heights or maximum parking allowed psf.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yeah I don’t get what’s attractive about that. Those setbacks are brutal and at best it looks like a hotel with the circle drive.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Heard some rumors on where this is at in the process. I'd say late summer/early fall there will be some sort of announcement on the intentions here.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

So when does election season start for the council? This winter? Primaries in Feb, final election in April? I got to think that will play heavily in the timing of things.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:41 pm Yeah I don’t get what’s attractive about that. Those setbacks are brutal and at best it looks like a hotel with the circle drive.
Some people want to feel like they live in a high end hotel.

Regardless, this design is very specific to the overall project in Texas Live so I wouldn’t expect anything like this in KC.

4L will be nothing like this. I dropped the link to show some diversity in their projects across the country.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:07 am So when does election season start for the council? This winter? Primaries in Feb, final election in April? I got to think that will play heavily in the timing of things.
It's started -- as defined by candidates filing, raising money, having public events.