Four Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Four Light

Post by FangKC »

A tower can house apartments on a small footprint. One only needs to look at the Chambers Building (now Chambers Lofts) on the SW corner of 12th and Walnut. It's a 12-story building (11 over retail). There's not any reason a building on that footprint couldn't be even taller -- say 20-stories.

Just for example, I've copied the P&L Building and placed it over that retail building. It's just a tad-bit wider than the retail building, and if you narrowed that access alley between it and the President Hotel, it would fit.

Chambers Lofts

Aerial:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0997493 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Streetview:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0999945 ... 384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0999467 ... 384!8i8192

The Waltower Building on the NE corner of 9th and Walnut is another example.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1329+ ... -94.584248

The Union Carbide Building on Baltimore is another.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1329 ... -94.584248
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The P&L development agreement seems to require where the fourth residential building goes
In the event that the Developer provides the City with a written notice concerning the approximately 300 unit new residential or combination residential/hotel building and parking structure to be located on Block 138 (collectively the “Fourth Residential Building”)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Would love to see something like this for the future phases of Cordish's developments. Would really break from the design on 1-3 Light, Loews, and 1400 Baltimore.

AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Why does everyone hate the glass design so much? I've seen the argument that they want some difference in the buildings, but we have so many old shitty brick buildings sitting around it makes the glass look nice. Also, glass kinda represents "new, flashy, energetic". The absolute worst ones are the brick ones. Cannot stand those brick ones.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:15 pm Why does everyone hate the glass design so much? I've seen the argument that they want some difference in the buildings, but we have so many old shitty brick buildings sitting around it makes the glass look nice. Also, glass kinda represents "new, flashy, energetic". The absolute worst ones are the brick ones. Cannot stand those brick ones.
It’s about breaking up the wall or using a different color for the glass. It creates a more interesting skyline
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:15 pm ..we have so many old shitty brick buildings sitting around it makes the glass look nice.
::gasp:: no you didn’t!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:15 pm Why does everyone hate the glass design so much? I've seen the argument that they want some difference in the buildings, but we have so many old shitty brick buildings sitting around it makes the glass look nice. Also, glass kinda represents "new, flashy, energetic". The absolute worst ones are the brick ones. Cannot stand those brick ones.
variety. I like glass buildings but I also like having buildings that don't all look the same. These "outlined" glass buildings (posted above) evolve throughout the day as light angle and intensity changes.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I can't imagine them going drastically different on any of the light buildings but do look for them to do something completely different across the highway.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:08 pm I can't imagine them going drastically different on any of the light buildings but do look for them to do something completely different across the highway.
Are they going to wait till the cap is put in place before building across the highway?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:21 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:08 pm I can't imagine them going drastically different on any of the light buildings but do look for them to do something completely different across the highway.
Are they going to wait till the cap is put in place before building across the highway?
No, leasing rates and demand alone will drive that project.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

maybe they should go and get approvals now so that when they start 3 years late its really on-time
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

normalthings wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:04 pm Would love to see something like this for the future phases of Cordish's developments. Would really break from the design on 1-3 Light, Loews, and 1400 Baltimore.

That looks great, I’d personally like to see something like the new beckford in NYC. I’m loving the movement to incorporate more masonry again.

https://cdn-img-feed.streeteasy.com/nyc ... 213735.jpg
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

would love to see some more modern designed building regardless of glass, stone & glass mix, etc. Just varying heights, designs, etc.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Is the 4 Light announcement still happening soon?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:12 pm Is the 4 Light announcement still happening soon?
Nothing planned I know of.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:43 am
normalthings wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:12 pm Is the 4 Light announcement still happening soon?
Disappointing that they said it was coming then
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:10 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:43 am
Disappointing that they said it was coming then
Under promise, over deliver should be more common.

Look at the side of the Blackstone. The sign says "Coming 2005" in March 2019.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.103488, ... 384!8i8192
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Has Cordish ever started construction early on a project? I know they always leak things saying coming soon, but it feels like they always wait until their previous project hits a certain occupancy level.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Yeah. I was under the impression they would be announcing their next project if not at the 3 light ground breaking than at least prior to end of year
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I wonder if they're waiting on the cap to move forward with 4 Light plans. And by the cap, I mean the infrastructure bill basically since they're trying to get funds from it.