Four Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Four Light

Post by KC_Ari »

kboish wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:16 am What are the heights of 2 & 3?
I'm just getting them from Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... ,_Missouri

One Light - 265'
Two Light - 270'
Three Light - 301'
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Only way four light hits 400+ is if it’s a residential and hotel combo with a grand ballroom on the top floor of the hotel section.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:45 am Only way four light hits 400+ is if it’s a residential and hotel combo with a grand ballroom on the top floor of the hotel section.
In my humble opinion, including a hotel component would be a great way to offer some condos in this building. Have the hotel provide some special amenities for condo owners.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:22 am
DColeKC wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:45 am Only way four light hits 400+ is if it’s a residential and hotel combo with a grand ballroom on the top floor of the hotel section.
In my humble opinion, including a hotel component would be a great way to offer some condos in this building. Have the hotel provide some special amenities for condo owners.
That would be nice. We need more condos, etc. in the urban core to keep residents instead of cycling a renter population.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Condos would be great. I just always hear they’re far more difficult to get financed. How long has it been since a new condo building hi-rise went up in downtown KC?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:23 pm Condos would be great. I just always hear they’re far more difficult to get financed. How long has it been since a new condo building hi-rise went up in downtown KC?
Last time one was proposed was in the late 2000s (I think). Actually built from the ground-up, likely not since San Francisco Tower at Crown Center in 1976. Three Light had condos planned, but were scrapped (likely to help with financing).

Other condos have opened since 1976, but purpose-built new high-rises, not for 47 years.

Condos can be difficult to finance. In a market like Downtown KC, I think it's a waiting game to see who pulls the trigger first. I have no doubts that they'd be successful, but the amenity package needs to set it apart from other offerings to do well. Cordish has proven they can excel at this as-is. Throw in a hotel component for additional amenities and you got yourself a winner.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

So DoleKC has seen the renderings and has ties to Cordish and 430' seems to really surprise him yet im2kull has given a precise height and seems confident. So do you both think this is a legit possibility?

Hasn't the plan for four light always included a hotel component?

430' would be a really good height for that location, I really hope to see a rendering soon.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

GRID wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:03 pm So DoleKC has seen the renderings and has ties to Cordish and 430' seems to really surprise him yet im2kull has given a precise height and seems confident. So do you both think this is a legit possibility?

430' would be a really good height for that location, I really hope to see a rendering soon.
Im2Kull is a troll (with numerous quality jokes and one-liners). I take the 430' post as one of these jokes.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

langosta wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:02 am
GRID wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:03 pm So DoleKC has seen the renderings and has ties to Cordish and 430' seems to really surprise him yet im2kull has given a precise height and seems confident. So do you both think this is a legit possibility?

Im2Kull is a troll (with numerous quality jokes and one-liners). I take the 430' post as one of these jokes.
Thank you for the compliment. I do have great insight on a number of things, and a few quality jokes, but this was purely a ploy to elicit a knee-jerk reaction from DCole, wherein he would offer more insight about the height he has observed as an insider to rebuke my claim (which was strategically calculated at a number high enough, but low enough to tell all). Needless to say we now know with total confidence that there's no way a landmark high-rise will be built. Looks more like 32-34 stories max and 335'.

Unfortunately. I was really hoping for a landmark tower to be built.

Or, something tall for a change.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

im2kull wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:13 am

Thank you for the compliment. I do have great insight on a number of things, and a few quality jokes, but this was purely a ploy to elicit a knee-jerk reaction from DCole, wherein he would offer more insight about the height he has observed as an insider to rebuke my claim (which was strategically calculated at a number high enough, but low enough to tell all). Needless to say we now know with total confidence that there's no way a landmark high-rise will be built. Looks more like 32-34 stories max and 335'.

I’m familiar with your tactics!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

FWIW, amenities are great but they also increase the monthly maintenance on a condo. I have owned two condos downtown and neither had amenities (one had a shared roof deck). I liked this because, as I said, it kept the dues down. But I also understand some folks want lots of staff and amenities. Have also lived in doorman buildings and it is GREAT.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:01 pm
im2kull wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:13 am

I’m familiar with your tactics!
Was your response with regards to height with that in mind, or is it an honest response?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

In no way should you put any confidence in his posts. I don't think one thing has ever been true
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

smh wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:12 pm FWIW, amenities are great but they also increase the monthly maintenance on a condo. I have owned two condos downtown and neither had amenities (one had a shared roof deck). I liked this because, as I said, it kept the dues down. But I also understand some folks want lots of staff and amenities. Have also lived in doorman buildings and it is GREAT.
Totally agree here. Low monthly maintenance and minimal "amenities" are a draw for me when considering a condo. Right now shopping for something in Chicago due relocation for my wife's job. Looking at small conversion buildings.

Plan to move back to KC at some point in life. My hope would be for a much better market for condos and townhomes to exist in Midtown and Downtown. Gym, coworking space, communal kitchen, party area, spa, blah blah blah. I can shop for those services ala carte if I want or need them. I'd rather choose my own adventure that way and curate the communities I'm part of than having the building I buy in try to manufacture a complete package.

Obviously there's a big market of people who like these "luxury" branded amenities/communities and if there was any theoretical condo component to 4L it would lean a certain way and price point. But I feel like with new construction in general whether for rent or purchase there is amenity bloat these days.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:23 pm Condos would be great. I just always hear they’re far more difficult to get financed. How long has it been since a new condo building hi-rise went up in downtown KC?
As a person who works for a major KC bank in the mortgage division I can confirm condo financing is very tricky. You have to thread a needle of guidelines to get it underwritten & in todays rate environment it’s even more strict.

That said though it would be great for downtown to have more owner occupied properties where possible
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Almost wonder if encouraging the creation of more owner-occupied units is something Council should be thinking about.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

smh wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:47 am Almost wonder if encouraging the creation of more owner-occupied units is something Council should be thinking about.
That could drastically slow down progress. I've always been told that a certain amount of the condo units must be sold before construction can even begin. Not sure if that's accurate.

Having some condo options would be fantastic. I do wonder how much one would cost in a new luxury hi-rise though? Probably $750,000 and up for a 2 bed, 2 bath looking at the market. Not sure we have many people who want to be downtown that can afford that?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Ones now around that price get snatched up quick when they actually hit the market. Lot more demand than supply at this point. I searched for years.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Same here. I quite literally eyed a specific building waiting for a unit to open up.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:57 am Ones now around that price get snatched up quick when they actually hit the market. Lot more demand than supply at this point. I searched for years.
I did to several years ago. I was suckered in by the price before realizing the HOA fees are insane which basically double your mortgage payment. The buildings I looked at didn't have great amenities either.