OFFICIAL - Wallstreet Tower (formerly US Bank Tower)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL - Wallstreet Tower (formerly US Bank Tower)

Post by herrfrank »

I would wager that Gillum's contractors cut corners on what was specified as a continual weld, resulting in slow leak conditions along the welded edge of the containment for the coolant. While this was probably initially disguisable with bituthene or some other rubberized material, it will always revert to its leaking state. Further, as Weese's design indicates, the system was intended to self-regulate under slight pressure (heat/ hydro), which would exacerbate the failures of any gaps in the weld. Clever if perfectly executed. But the built environment is not perfect.

1. Weese showing off -- fancy-pants new fire retardant method to make his structure look more sleek
2. Hired Gillum, low bidder extraordinaire
3. The columns leak
4. Rich bank has been remediating this, but sells it to a developer as housing, with those obvious income limitations
5. The system suffers continual slow failures and deferred maintenance
6. Fails fire inspection
7. ?

what a cluster. sorry to the homeowners
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Ugh. I'd hate to see that special assessment.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

herrfrank wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:40 am Just noted Jack Gillum did the mechanicals. Bad news. His license to practice engineering in Missouri was permanently revoked after the 1981 Hyatt Regency Skywalks collapse.

The HOA needs to hire someone sound, like Skidmore, Owings & Merrill to assess the as-built conditions of this system versus the original plans. Considering what we learned about the Skywalks, the whole system, especially the expansion piping in the truss level across the five "coolant" beams needs to be closely inspected/ remediated.
ARUP would be the leader in this space I would think
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This and prior issues with condos in Florida make me think this needs assistance maybe even at the national level to help these buildings be more safe. Hate to "bail out" bad HOA management but this is bigger than just letting these individual buildings figure it out
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

herrfrank wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:40 am Just noted Jack Gillum did the mechanicals. Bad news. His license to practice engineering in Missouri was permanently revoked after the 1981 Hyatt Regency Skywalks collapse.

The HOA needs to hire someone sound, like Skidmore, Owings & Merrill to assess the as-built conditions of this system versus the original plans. Considering what we learned about the Skywalks, the whole system, especially the expansion piping in the truss level across the five "coolant" beams needs to be closely inspected/ remediated.
Excellent point herrfrank. Digging into this more raises more questions than answers. Namely:

1. A reputable local engineering firm consulted in 2012 and 2019 to detail the column fire protection system condition and make recommendations for repair. It doesn't look like any of the recommendations have been completed, and that no repairs have begun. WHY? It also seems as if no maintenance has occurred since original construction. :shock: The chemical analyses is interesting. Regardless, there's no reason for this problem to have been documented since 2012 without any action taken. HOA and building management fail.

2. In those reports it also notes the presence of a "pan" or obstruction in one support column, with varying observed levels of fluid in each column. That shouldn't occur if the columns are interconnected by piping without restrictions as shown in the system diagrams. The Jack Gillum point you made may be more relevant than ever.

3. Looking at the most recent "scheduled" fire inspection report for this building (2018, if the date is correct), and it looks like the fire department didn't traditionally look at the columns, or their condition. Just sprinklers and the usual expected devices within the building.

If the HOA and building management knew and haven't fixed it or covered up the problem.. then wow. Just wow.
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:03 pm This and prior issues with condos in Florida make me think this needs assistance maybe even at the national level to help these buildings be more safe. Hate to "bail out" bad HOA management but this is bigger than just letting these individual buildings figure it out
Agreed. The issue is compliance and enforcement. It appears that many condos run afoul of the state law, but there is no real push by authorities to make those condos and HOAs comply with the law. Perfect example here with WST this likely violates RSMo 448.
shinatoo wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:35 am How about a 3-year amnesty from any special assessment if you buy a condo in an existing building? That way you would have the confidence to purchase knowing you wouldn't get slammed by a big bill those first few years, which are typically the hardest on your budget.
MO state law appears to state that all new owners should be advised of any potential problems, assessments, etc that could impact the building for the current and next two years.
Last edited by im2kull on Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'm not familiar with the ownership changes with this building, but they might have a cause of action claim which is why they're making it so public. Have someone kick in a little malpractice insurance money.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:41 am Ugh. I'd hate to see that special assessment.
Especially just 4 years after the last round(s) for elevator modernization/parking garage upgrades.
ThorsteinVeblen
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ThorsteinVeblen »

Lived at WST from 2014 - 2017 and have been renting my unit there ever since. I remember the engineering study and a potential need to do some work at some point in the future, study said the columns were fine, would need maintenance like all things that get old, and the fluid levels would need to managed, really a non-event. It appears a renter brought the complaint based on some stuff they read about between 2012 - 2019, not sure if they're a structural engineer or have engineering experience with structures like this. KMBC interview just made him come off as your run of the mill complainer/drama artist, the fire department is not concerned, and it appears like the board is already addressing it.....he can always move out. I feel bad for the HOA group, the ones I've met work full time jobs and do this because they care about the building. I would be annoyed after working a 12hr day and coming home to this dude let alone a KMBC news team. The two past assessments we did were absolutely necessary and honestly not that much money. The amount of money I spent doing a basic basement remodel at my house dwarfed both special assessments. HOAs are still low compared to a smaller condo we own in Chicago. TBH, the fire chief seems annoyed by the whole thing...

Kansas City Fire Deputy Chief James Dean eventually agreed to an interview with KMBC 9 Investigates after months of requests for information from the department.

“I believe residents are safe in the building,” Dean said.

He says responding fire crews now have specific instructions if there’s a fire at Wallstreet Tower or near those columns.

“They would make sure that they would put appropriate measures in place. For example, they may put a hose line to make sure they protect those columns.”

A fire department spokesman also said the building’s other fire protection systems, including fire alarms, are working properly.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

ThorsteinVeblen wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:34 am Lived at WST ...
Thanks for the insight. People are sometimes too quick to jump to conclusions, based on very little real evidence.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Everyone wants to be the next San Francisco Millennium Tower
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

ThorsteinVeblen wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:34 am Lived at WST from 2014 - 2017 and have been renting my unit there ever since. I remember the engineering study and a potential need to do some work at some point in the future, study said the columns were fine, would need maintenance like all things that get old, and the fluid levels would need to managed, really a non-event. It appears a renter brought the complaint based on some stuff they read about between 2012 - 2019, not sure if they're a structural engineer or have engineering experience with structures like this. KMBC interview just made him come off as your run of the mill complainer/drama artist, the fire department is not concerned, and it appears like the board is already addressing it.....he can always move out. I feel bad for the HOA group, the ones I've met work full time jobs and do this because they care about the building. I would be annoyed after working a 12hr day and coming home to this dude let alone a KMBC news team. The two past assessments we did were absolutely necessary and honestly not that much money. The amount of money I spent doing a basic basement remodel at my house dwarfed both special assessments. HOAs are still low compared to a smaller condo we own in Chicago. TBH, the fire chief seems annoyed by the whole thing...

Kansas City Fire Deputy Chief James Dean eventually agreed to an interview with KMBC 9 Investigates after months of requests for information from the department.

“I believe residents are safe in the building,” Dean said.

He says responding fire crews now have specific instructions if there’s a fire at Wallstreet Tower or near those columns.

“They would make sure that they would put appropriate measures in place. For example, they may put a hose line to make sure they protect those columns.”

A fire department spokesman also said the building’s other fire protection systems, including fire alarms, are working properly.
So there isn't a problem? I find it hard to believe the news would push a story and the FD do interviews if there wasn't some major issues in play here? What has the board said about it? I found it interesting that they refused to give a public statement or be interviewed.
ThorsteinVeblen
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ThorsteinVeblen »

There is no problem right now. Per the last post we've known about the issues for sometime and the city has been aware too but since there was a complaint filed they had to act. The city came out, we failed inspection, but not because the columns are unsafe per the fire department and city. It was related to the equipment not being in its original state that it was designed to be (not a big issue, and known by HOA, city, and FD). The HOA then submitted documents showing the city what has been done over the last several years, per the study I mentioned, and what is already being done to address it. We're now compliant with the city and not in violation. I'm a big supporter of local news but KMBC has a tendency to over do it on local issues, this is one of those times, and people have genuine concerns given what happened in FL.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sucks for owners who are trying to sell for the media to do that story in that manner then. Irresponsible.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

ThorsteinVeblen wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:15 am There is no problem right now. Per the last post we've known about the issues for sometime and the city has been aware too but since there was a complaint filed they had to act.The city came out, we failed inspection, but not because the columns are unsafe per the fire department and city. It was related to the equipment not being in its original state that it was designed to be (not a big issue, and known by HOA, city, and FD). The HOA then submitted documents showing the city what has been done over the last several years, per the study I mentioned, and what is already being done to address it. We're now compliant with the city and not in violation.
Anytime something isn't "In its original state" or fails an inspection it's a pretty big deal in the fire protection world. You either have a functional FP system, or you do not. To not is a serious life-safety hazard. It seemed strange that the building could be "compliant" and not in violation as your HOA claims, so I called the Fire Department and spoke about this. Unfortunately, it appears you have been misinformed. The building is not compliant and the violation remains.

I'd be pissed if I bought a unit in the building. The HOA knew there was a legitimate problem for years. It looks like the city manager had to get involved and that the city ordered the building 30 days to comply with an emergency order to create a plan of action in Dec/Jan. It sounds like that hasn't been shared with the condo owners. Given this, KMBC may have actually taken it pretty easy on the HOA. They could have absolutely slammed them. Instead, it looks like they're just trying to help get this problem fixed.
Last edited by im2kull on Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:03 pm This and prior issues with condos in Florida make me think this needs assistance maybe even at the national level to help these buildings be more safe. Hate to "bail out" bad HOA management but this is bigger than just letting these individual buildings figure it out
Yes it does. Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrizmAo17Os
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

This is an interesting situation. It really makes me wonder if in the coming years, will many condo HOAs will self terminate and sell their buildings to a developer rather than pay to bring their properties up to safety standards?

Something to continue to watch as HOA boards who weren’t proactive with regular maintenance begin needing to survive with special assessments. At the same time, Fannie and Freddie are (understandably) making it more difficult for condo associations & co-ops to get loans

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/02/homes/u ... dex.html

https://archive.ph/2023.04.18-004514/h ... -sellers/
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:03 am This is an interesting situation. It really makes me wonder if in the coming years, will many condo HOAs will self terminate and sell their buildings to a developer rather than pay to bring their properties up to safety standards?
Something to continue to watch as HOA boards who weren’t proactive with regular maintenance begin needing to survive with special assessments. At the same time, Fannie and Freddie are (understandably) making it more difficult for condo associations & co-ops to get loans
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/02/homes/u ... ndex.html
https://archive.ph/2023.04.18-004514/h ... -sellers/
This is a similar reaction to the financial crisis that caused the creation of the outdated Dodd Frank regs. A 10 unit condo in KC has little in common with a 100 unit building in Miami or Vegas. Or Surfside.
"Critics also object to the one-size-fits-all form that applies to all buildings with five or more attached units without distinctions for the type, location, or age of a building"
The law already provides for full disclosure, at least in KS and MO.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

The garage collapse in NYC brought this building to mind as well. The Wallstreet Tower garage (1120 Grand) was built in 1974, has (or had) 525 spaces, and opened with the building. It's dated and has had several problems over the years. There was a large assessment a few years ago to take care of some repairs, but seeing the HOAs poor response to the recent public news about the ongoing fire protection violation certainly makes you wonder if there's more to the garage situation.

The collapse in NYC also makes you wonder if any garages in KC could be at risk? This one would be at the top of my list. There were apparently four open violations in the NYC garage. Does KC inspect parking garages regularly? Does this one have any open violations?

Quick look online, but this looks pretty terrible.
https://webrai.mycivicapps.com/kansasci ... _id=693788

https://apnews.com/article/new-york-par ... edbaa4a71e

https://goo.gl/maps/Bh4mhK7KX19udeYJA
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^Barney Allis Plaza, the closed garage at 8th and Grand, the closed garage at 13th and Wyandotte, and any of the older Plaza garages are of concern for me
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder about the garage at the former Trinity Lutheran Hospital.