OFFICIAL - Wallstreet Tower (formerly US Bank Tower)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - Wallstreet Tower (formerly US Bank Tower)

Post by DColeKC »

im2kull wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:53 pm It looks like the Clubhouse Experience is another Covid casualty. Can anyone confirm? It was only open for what, two months?
Yes. Been gone for awhile and probably wouldn’t have survived without Covid either.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

yup, this concept seemed dead on arrival. it was open a while longer than a couple months though. probably had what 6 months before covid really hit? they took a swing at a summer or fall 2020 reopen too iirc.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://cityscenekc.com/larks-landing-d ... franchise/

Glad to see something will be going into this space! Another eatertainment venue like Clubhouse. Founded by the guy who started Altitude Trampoline Parks. Based on their website they really seem to be emphasizing the families with children market.

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^This sort of thing, even though it's a chain, gives residents something else to do. Should make that area a little bit busier.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

This is like peak 3rd place and I’m here for it.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I checked out the Lark's website and it doesn't appear that they actually have any active locations at this time, yet it's mentioned in the article that they plan to try to hit 30-40 annually, and can probably get the KC location up "by end of summer". Not super inspiring, but fingers crossed,

That is such a weird and unique space below Wall Street Tower, would love to see it successfully activated.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

That's pretty cool we were in Lark's first 6 chosen locations. I wonder if they're all going into downtowns.
https://larksentertainment.com/locations/
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:35 pm That's pretty cool we were in Lark's first 6 chosen locations. I wonder if they're all going into downtowns.
https://larksentertainment.com/locations/
They aren't. The Dallas one is up in McKinney 35 miles from downtown Dallas
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

This is great news! It was such a bummer that Clubhouse didn't survive. The chef was certainly talented, just bad timing with the pandemic?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:17 pm This is great news! It was such a bummer that Clubhouse didn't survive. The chef was certainly talented, just bad timing with the pandemic?
Bad timing + arguments over ownership of the actual space (Apparently there's a problem regarding doorways that were deeded separately to a different owner from the rest of the lower level, etc) + HOA fees that add a lot to the monthly cost for the space.

Also, I noticed that there's a 311 case for a "Dangerous Building" issue at this address. Do you have any information? I can't read the details.
Last edited by im2kull on Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Failed fire inspection. Looks like management is not maintaining the anti-freeze solution in the stilt columns that hold the building up. The solution is to keep fire heat from melting the steel and causing collapse.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

moderne wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:24 am Failed fire inspection. Looks like management is not maintaining the anti-freeze solution in the stilt columns that hold the building up. The solution is to keep fire heat from melting the steel and causing collapse.
Good call. Looks like a lot of issues going on behind the scenes. Anyone have more insight?

https://www.kmbc.com/article/kansas-cit ... n/43337436
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

im2kull wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:55 pm
moderne wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:24 am Failed fire inspection. Looks like management is not maintaining the anti-freeze solution in the stilt columns that hold the building up. The solution is to keep fire heat from melting the steel and causing collapse.
Good call. Looks like a lot of issues going on behind the scenes. Anyone have more insight?

https://www.kmbc.com/article/kansas-cit ... n/43337436
Doesn't sound overly worrisome, but I wouldn't want to be selling a condo there right now. Sounds like a special assessment is coming their way and they have an obligation to disclose.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I knew someone who lived there, they had a LOT of special assessments already. Definitely sounds like another one coming.Agreed on not wanting to sell there for a good price.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Example #1 of many why I'd never buy a condo.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:58 pm Example #1 of many why I'd never buy a condo.
Kansas City needs new construction condos!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I’m probably on an island of one, but I wouldn’t be against something that broadens the base of special assessments if they're for the structure of a historical building.

Didn’t we do that with western auto when they got like a billion dollar one?

It would have to be very tightly controlled obviously. But buying a condo and then saying they haven’t been pumping in antifreeze is rough. Can’t imagine that’s going to be cheap.

Not sure I want this dude on my board either though lol
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

How about a 3-year amnesty from any special assessment if you buy a condo in an existing building? That way you would have the confidence to purchase knowing you wouldn't get slammed by a big bill those first few years, which are typically the hardest on your budget.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

You gotta wonder if Harry Weese was on one of his "sprees" when his office signed off on this unusually complex system (see page 4 in the attachment, for the 2500+ word description of the fire retardation methods for the structural steel support beams).

https://www.aisc.org/globalassets/moder ... 974v01.pdf
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Just noted Jack Gillum did the mechanicals. Bad news. His license to practice engineering in Missouri was permanently revoked after the 1981 Hyatt Regency Skywalks collapse.

The HOA needs to hire someone sound, like Skidmore, Owings & Merrill to assess the as-built conditions of this system versus the original plans. Considering what we learned about the Skywalks, the whole system, especially the expansion piping in the truss level across the five "coolant" beams needs to be closely inspected/ remediated.