Royals at TD Ameritrade

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Royals at TD Ameritrade

Post by eomaha.com »

25,454 watched the Royals beat the Tigers at TD Ameritrade before the opening of the College World Series last week.

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Royals at TD Ameritrade

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Probably one of the highest attended games of the year
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:16 am Probably one of the highest attended games of the year
Biggest "home" crowd since Opening Day
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

They should do this one game every year
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

That's awesome, thanks for sharing.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

TrolliKC wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:47 am They should do this one game every year
Prying home dates away from professional sports owners is near-impossible. It's probably a miracle this happened at all.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

WSPanic wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:22 am
TrolliKC wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:47 am They should do this one game every year
Prying home dates away from professional sports owners is near-impossible. It's probably a miracle this happened at all.
Well, the Tampa Bay Rays got permission from MLB to explore splitting the season between Tampa and Montreal, and Montreal split games w/San Juan before they left. I think MLB will do just about anything to shore up attendance, which is pretty bleak for many teams this year.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I also think this will be how MLB stadiums will be built in the future. 25-30k seats with decent views all over the park especially in the smaller markets. It looks nicer when a stadium is almost full at 25k capacity vs a 35k-45k seat stadium. The costs might be large enough that maybe the owners will start building them out of pocket. Tampa and Miami need stadiums like TD Ameritrade
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:58 am I also think this will be how MLB stadiums will be built in the future. 25-30k seats with decent views all over the park especially in the smaller markets. It looks nicer when a stadium is almost full at 25k capacity vs a 35k-45k seat stadium. The costs might be large enough that maybe the owners will start building them out of pocket. Tampa and Miami need stadiums like TD Ameritrade
Yes, with more suites. Scarcity drives higher prices and season ticket sales, and the major revenue for teams is from TV and suites. But I think 25k is too small even for minor markets. 30-35k is more likely.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kcjak wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:31 am
Well, the Tampa Bay Rays got permission from MLB to explore splitting the season between Tampa and Montreal, and Montreal split games w/San Juan before they left. I think MLB will do just about anything to shore up attendance, which is pretty bleak for many teams this year.
Yeah - I heard. That's not what this was. David Glass is not looking to give up any home game revenues.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

WSPanic wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:58 pm
kcjak wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:31 am

Yeah - I heard. That's not what this was. David Glass is not looking to give up any home game revenues.
Yeah - that's exactly what this was. Not splitting a season between two cities like Tampa/Montreal or KC/Omaha Sizzlers, but the opportunity to get more people in Omaha and elsewhere excited about the Royals and either watching a game on tv or attending a game in KC. Does anyone think they won't be looking to make this an annual event since it was a success and home attendance was slumping?

It won't be a thing for teams like the Yankees or Cubs but for teams with attendance averaging below 25K it is worth exploring for at least a game every season.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I think its a great idea but i think the only reason why they did this was because of the College World Series kickoff. I don't see the Tigers playing a game in Grand Rapids anytime soon or Brewers playing in Madison
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

TD Ameritrade is kind of uniquely suited to host something like this. What other stadiums (stadia?) other than that one are over 10K and can fit a baseball field. I'm not sure you can wedge a baseball field into a Soccer-specific stadium like CMP.

I don't even think Doubleday Field in Cooperstown seats 10K.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Tampa is not a situation we want the royals in.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WSPanic wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:53 pm TD Ameritrade is kind of uniquely suited to host something like this. What other stadiums (stadia?) other than that one are over 10K and can fit a baseball field. I'm not sure you can wedge a baseball field into a Soccer-specific stadium like CMP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... y_capacity

Ignore the little league one that seats "40,000" and there's over 30 above 10,000 that could be candidates. I didn't look at all of them but the other leagues also have stadiums.
gsmith601
Pad site
Pad site

Post by gsmith601 »

The Pirates or Phillies now play in Williamsport every year. This is more similar to that.

MLB is also exploring holding the draft in Omaha every year to coincide with the CWS.

Greg
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

WSPanic wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:53 pm TD Ameritrade is kind of uniquely suited to host something like this. What other stadiums (stadia?) other than that one are over 10K and can fit a baseball field. I'm not sure you can wedge a baseball field into a Soccer-specific stadium like CMP.

There are tons of AA, AAA, NCAA, and Spring training stadiums that can host over 10k. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... y_capacity

I count 43 baseball specific stadiums in the US with 10,000+ setas excluding MLB, Omaha, and Williamsport, plus a ton of others in the 7,500-10,000 range that can push over 10k with grass and temp seating.

San Juan and Buffalo have the largest, SJ even hosted the expos for half a season before they became the nationals.

Even Hammons Field down in Springfield, MO can with 7,500 seats can host over 10,000 with grass seating and has hosted Cardinals exhibition games before with attendances over 10k.

Plus the stadium in Monterrey Mexico is 22,000+ seats and I could see MLB interested in that market for games too.