Whataburger

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Whataburger

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Their blanket marketing it because of Mahomes. That's what fueled the fire on all this.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The gentle mocking I’ve heard, and it’s been very gentle, is people complaining about traffic and then sitting in traffic for hours for a shit hamburger. I’m okay with that lol

Most of the backlash has be the backlash against the backlash if you know what I mean. People trying to name a big deal about nothing.

Go enjoy your shit hamburger. I walked across the street and it took five minutes.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:31 am The gentle mocking I’ve heard, and it’s been very gentle, is people complaining about traffic and then sitting in traffic for hours for a shit hamburger. I’m okay with that lol

Most of the backlash has be the backlash against the backlash if you know what I mean. People trying to name a big deal about nothing.

Go enjoy your shit hamburger. I walked across the street and it took five minutes.
I had it yesterday and thought it was really good. And it wasn’t small where I had to order multiple like at McDonald’s either.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Goonies wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:57 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:05 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:31 am The gentle mocking I’ve heard, and it’s been very gentle, is people complaining about traffic and then sitting in traffic for hours for a shit hamburger. I’m okay with that lol

I had it yesterday and thought it was really good. And it wasn’t small where I had to order multiple like at McDonald’s either.
How long did you have to wait in line?
Only 45 mins in the standing line for the restaurant. If you waited for the drive-thru it was like 4 hours lol. People didn’t realize you could walk in and get it faster.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

This is pathetic.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:51 pm This is pathetic.

Absolutely. Getting overly excited about a fast food chain is probably the definition of provincial. Whataburger is an improvement over McDonalds and Burger King but that's not saying much.

If you really want to find out what Whataburger is like and don't want to wait in line, head to Paul's Drive In on Blue Ridge in SE KC. The burgers are very similar (although Paul's is a bit better).
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It's due to the Mahomes hype.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

earthling wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:20 am It's due to the Mahomes hype.
Yep
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Highlander wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:16 am

Absolutely. Getting overly excited about a fast food chain is probably the definition of provincial. Whataburger is an improvement over McDonalds and Burger King but that's not saying much.

If you really want to find out what Whataburger is like and don't want to wait in line, head to Paul's Drive In on Blue Ridge in SE KC. The burgers are very similar (although Paul's is a bit better).
Every single city in the United States of America acts like this when a popular food chain comes into their town. I'm tired of this narrative trying to make KC people seem like they're a bunch of morons for doing this when it happens literally everywhere.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Know if it was Mejier.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:07 pm

Every single city in the United States of America acts like this when a popular food chain comes into their town. I'm tired of this narrative trying to make KC people seem like they're a bunch of morons for doing this when it happens literally everywhere.
It doesn't happen literally everywhere. I have seen it happen before in smaller towns but have never experienced this in any of the larger cities I have lived in (Denver and Houston). Not over fast food at least. I'll chalk it up to Mahomes's endorsement but I can't believe people would line up for hours for a slightly better than average fast food burger.
Last edited by Highlander on Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I’ve seen it happen in other cities. Sure it’s a bit dumb but certainly not KC specific. I don’t understand why people are making a big deal out of this. Honestly says more about us that people are worried about it making us look like hicks, than people queueing in the first place.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Highlander wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:19 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:07 pm

It doesn't happen literally everywhere. I have seen it happen before in smaller towns but have never experienced this in any of the larger cities I have lived in (Denver and Houston). Not over fast food at least. I'll chalk it up to Mahomes's endorsement but I can't believe people would line up for hours for a slightly better than average fast food burger.
It literally just happened last year with Denver getting In-N-Out.

In fact Denver was the main city I thought about when I first heard about other cities doing this. Loool.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

New Yorkers lined up for Chick-Fil-A.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I was unfamiliar with this phenomenon until Jack in the Box came (back?) to town years ago, and my boss was excited because apparently they had it in St. Louis where he was from, so persuaded a group of us to go. It was insane how busy it was. I had heard about places like Chick-fil-A attracting people camping outside in anticipation of the opening, but they at least have a sort of cult following for whatever reason (probably as much their politics as their food, which is kinda sad), but Jack in the Box? Whataburger at least has the Mahomes hype train, so I guess it makes some sense. I'm not really embarrassed so much as perplexed why anyone would wait 4 hours for ANYTHING. I'm not waiting in line for four hours for bluestem (RIP) and it was phenomenal, so the idea of doing it for a fast food burger is just... like, what?

Of the chain burgers I can get in Texas and not KC, I'd have rather it been In-n-Out anyway.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Del Taco.
Also Jack in the Box has changed some of its hours at some its stores like OP one today opened at 6pm.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

When I was in college in the '80s, my St. Louis friends were always talking about going to Jack-in-the-Box. So, it was a thing even back then.

I have never been excited enough about any restaurant, concert, or movie to camp outside awaiting an opening, or ticket sales.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Same. Or phone, or video game, or... well, anything. Ever.

So I guess it's not embarrassing for KC in particular--people do this kind of insanity everywhere, for all kinds of dumb reasons--just humanity, or maybe capitalism, in general.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

yep happens in most places, especially if they are getting something they never had before and was limited to an exclusive market. People try stuff when they travel and like it, and the locals where it is from originally build the hype/myth of the place. In & Out is a great example. When they expanded into Dallas there were lines at first, same as Denver. The Shake Shack phenomenon is another. People lined up around the block when they opened their Vegas location on the strip, at the time one of a handful of expansion outlets to the West.

So it happens for sure, just the way people are wired. There is always that FOMO factor and people who really like it. Makes for a good mix but the hype will go away once more stores open around town.

I'm just happy that chains are looking at KC as an expansion market. That means they like the prospects of our Metro to support it. Plus some chains like Jack & The Box were here before then left, and are now back. Usually means the company is doing well and they see our market as a good place for them to make money as we have some prosperity going on. Never hurts to be included, even if it is fast food that will end up making us even fatter than we are :) LOL
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I read Wienerschnitzel is looking to come back to Kansas City. They used to have restaurants in Missouri when I was a kid, then left. It was called Der Wienerschnitzel then.

The founder is from Grandview, MO.

I think this used to be one of their restaurants at Linwood and Broadway. I think they had one on Prospect too.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0675314 ... 384!8i8192

https://www.restaurantnews.com/john-gal ... sses-away/

https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/