Southmoreland

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Southmoreland

Post by earthling »

Maybe time for Southmoreland to have its own thread, which includes Nelson Museum and KC Art Institute.

Ragazza moved to 43rd/Main and has become a hotspot centerpiece of neighborhood. The upper floor of building is being converted to apts.

Tree Haus Cafe (THC) is opening this summer a couple doors down. CBD infused coffee house...
https://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/ ... 0af04.html

YUM bakery opened about a year ago around corner from the Segway Tour and Laundromat. Roasterie Cafe also arrived maybe 2 years ago.

The Phoenix Herb company moved from Ragazza building to near old Thriftway and the Thriftway spot has some activity.

MET Ensemble Theatre moved to the Warwick Theatre within the last year.

KC Art Institute has a new student housing building under construction.
https://www.kcur.org/post/kansas-city-a ... -state-art

According to Google Maps, Mill Creek Park and the American Century stretch of buildings are part of Southmoreland boundaries. Is that the case?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Southmoreland

Post by beautyfromashes »

I’d love for the Southmoreland streetcar stop to be called ‘Museums’ with the Kemper and Nelson being in walking distance. I’d also like a wealthy donor to buy the white building (old H&R Block) on Main and turn it into a modern advertising museum with the Bernstein Rein collection as the centerpiece. Let me dream.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Or a rotating selection of the Nelson's photography collection?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:02 pm I’d love for the Southmoreland streetcar stop to be called ‘Museums’ with the Kemper and Nelson being in walking distance. I’d also like a wealthy donor to buy the white building (old H&R Block) on Main and turn it into a modern advertising museum with the Bernstein Rein collection as the centerpiece. Let me dream.
The existing MAX stop at 45th is called "Art Museums" and that streetcar stop will retain the name. 43rd might be called "Southmoreland".
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:11 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:02 pm I’d love for the Southmoreland streetcar stop to be called ‘Museums’ with the Kemper and Nelson being in walking distance. I’d also like a wealthy donor to buy the white building (old H&R Block) on Main and turn it into a modern advertising museum with the Bernstein Rein collection as the centerpiece. Let me dream.
The existing MAX stop at 45th is called "Art Museums" and that streetcar stop will retain the name. 43rd might be called "Southmoreland".
I’ve never noticed it call Art Museums. That’s cool! Does it show that on the maps too? I always thought it was just by street crossing. Please don’t call 43rd Southmoreland. Those people already want to claim all of Midtown. It will just go to their head. Call it ‘Art Institute’.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The old Thriftway near Westport/Main will become an international market (w/liquor)...
https://cityscenekc.com/new-grocery-sto ... extension/

There are many from India in Southmoreland and along Armour and Gilham so makes sense. Have seen cricket players behind Office Depot in SML, back lot. Am surprised there aren't more Indian restaurants in Midtown.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Indian restaurants in Midtown. Yes, please.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Saw an LC's Express next to the old Thriftway. Had no idea one of those new "concepts" was going there.
ehartkc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ehartkc »

Another pockmark in the urban core. Active demolition underway at 32 E 46th St. Guess the culprit..

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... ttachments
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

That's too bad. I worked on a plan to put new lofts in there a few years back. The space was kind of cool and the views from the roof of the Plaza are perfect. Hopefully something of good quality gets built there and on the adjacent lot. (I know the neighbors are not making that easy as they don't want to lose their views!)
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm not surprised that building is being demolished and combined with the vacant lots to the north for development. I'm sorry to see Price Mgmt. attached to it though.
Last edited by FangKC on Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Weren't their big plans for that site just a few years ago? Midrise apartments, I think.

Here it is: https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... plaza.html
ehartkc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ehartkc »

Different developer. Looks like it was sold to Price in 2018.

This building could have easily been incorporated into a larger development scheme with the lots to the north. We really shouldn't be tearing down any buildings in Kansas City unless they are beyond saving. Our urban core has suffered far too much.

Land value tax!!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I'm surprised this one flew under the radar. I guess 31st and Main was a good distraction and the new condos South of the Plaza distracted us further. It's a shame to lose what looked like a fine building. The lot will likely remain in its current form for several years. I'm astounded by how the area to the north and northwest of the Plaza is dotted with so many vacant lots.

You have this site at 46th and Walnut, the infamous "tower" site at 45th and Main, the grassy field at 44th and Main, the huge grassy lot at 46th and Jefferson, a thin grassy strip at 46th Terrace and Broadway, and the triangle at 47th and Madison. These are so close to the Plaza that they could hold some great housing on them that actually makes the area more vibrant. Instead, they've become the neighborhood dog park, which NIMBYs would oppose losing because "more people bad".

Our state's premier urban shopping district surrounded by buildings occupied by people who don't want change and further bordered by vacant lots as a result of speculation. Pitiful.

In an area with so much vacant land, I think the city should honestly deny demolition on any property unless it is a public safety hazard (example: it's getting ready to collapse). If a building is structurally sound, demolition should be denied. If you intend to demolish a building, make sure you have building plans in hand to replace what you demolish. It's a simple ask for the most part. Demolishing and holding for speculation is ridiculous.

I've tried to see what's up from the perspective of Doug Price but I just can't anymore. Each demolition and slow to no movement on viable development plans is not the way to give yourself a nice image. Especially after the 31st and Main stunt, I just can't see a positive image forming at all. I'd be embarrassed to do anything at this point and would be working to sell off at least some land that has become the center of controversy.

Here's what was previously planned here: https://pulsedevgroup.com/detail.php?s=the-artisan

And here are photos from today...
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Big sad.

Based on his comments about 31st and Main, he probably won't want to do anything with this parcel too until the streetcar starts running in 2025. Just going to "see how it's going to be"
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:50 pm I'm surprised this one flew under the radar. I guess 31st and Main was a good distraction and the new condos South of the Plaza distracted us further. It's a shame to lose what looked like a fine building. The lot will likely remain in its current form for several years. I'm astounded by how the area to the north and northwest of the Plaza is dotted with so many vacant lots.

You have this site at 46th and Walnut, the infamous "tower" site at 45th and Main, the grassy field at 44th and Main, the huge grassy lot at 46th and Jefferson, a thin grassy strip at 46th Terrace and Broadway, and the triangle at 47th and Madison. These are so close to the Plaza that they could hold some great housing on them that actually makes the area more vibrant. Instead, they've become the neighborhood dog park, which NIMBYs would oppose losing because "more people bad".

Our state's premier urban shopping district surrounded by buildings occupied by people who don't want change and further bordered by vacant lots as a result of speculation. Pitiful.

In an area with so much vacant land, I think the city should honestly deny demolition on any property unless it is a public safety hazard (example: it's getting ready to collapse). If a building is structurally sound, demolition should be denied. If you intend to demolish a building, make sure you have building plans in hand to replace what you demolish. It's a simple ask for the most part. Demolishing and holding for speculation is ridiculous.

I've tried to see what's up from the perspective of Doug Price but I just can't anymore. Each demolition and slow to no movement on viable development plans is not the way to give yourself a nice image. Especially after the 31st and Main stunt, I just can't see a positive image forming at all. I'd be embarrassed to do anything at this point and would be working to sell off at least some land that has become the center of controversy.

Here's what was previously planned here: https://pulsedevgroup.com/detail.php?s=the-artisan

And here are photos from today...
I'm not sure denying a demolition permit on a citywide basis like this has ever been done anywhere, but legally it does seem somewhat questionable, or at least asking for a lawsuit. Not that I disagree with you at all here.

A vacant land tax of some kind would also be a good solution too or some kind of 'density bonus' to prevent just thowing up a cheap disposable or temporary house or trailer.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

What the hell is up with that giant open lot across Main from the American Century towers? They tore down the hotel and now it's just vacant. So many large vacant lots in the Plaza area now. I hope the streetcar gets Main Street developed in that area.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:02 pm What the hell is up with that giant open lot across Main from the American Century towers? They tore down the hotel and now it's just vacant. So many large vacant lots in the Plaza area now. I hope the streetcar gets Main Street developed in that area.
Rate shift + inflation + hard to get incentives for that type of project.
cityscenekc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cityscenekc »

kcmiz
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kcmiz »

This building was a dump. It was used by homeless who started fires and the basement flooded at one point. Good riddance. It would have been torn down eventually.

Hopefully Doug Price doesn’t sit on it. Best case he sells it to another developer like Copaken Brooks and they build 10-12+ stories. Price’s residential buildings are ugly. No offense to him. He just builds uninspiring beige boxes with suburban vibes. Here’s hoping he flips the lot.