"RideKC Next" transit system redesign

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

"RideKC Next" transit system redesign

Post by DaveKCMO »

Tell us what to do!

http://ridekcnext.org

We're asking the community to weigh in on a few key questions that will guide consultants (Jarrett Walker!) on a redesign of the bus network and connecting mobility services.

Please take the survey at the above link and share with your networks!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: "RideKC Next" transit system redesign

Post by KCPowercat »

Let's get a mini metro style game with KC data and I'll fix it all.

I know this isn't the focus but the thought of redesigning our bus system drives home the "rail drives development that bus lines won't" idea.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:52 pm I know this isn't the focus but the thought of redesigning our bus system drives home the "rail drives development that bus lines won't" idea.
That's not the focus at all, at least until we have regional funding.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Understood but just made me think that.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Just curious, I don’t live in KC anymore so I don’t really feel like I should input to much. What’s the likelihood though of convincing the hotels downtown to pay for a free circulator bus that only stops at the airport and downtown. I’ve travelled all over for fun, and I can tell you that ease of getting from the airport to the center is a huge predictor of whether I end up going somewhere on vacation. Also when is KC going to get a proper downtown hostel. All of these are incredibly important factors to get young people to visit
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Riverite wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:03 am Also when is KC going to get a proper downtown hostel.
https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/honeycomb-hostel.html
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Looks cool, always better if it’s more accessible to downtown though
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

It says 3.1km from the nearest attraction, that will take someone about 32 minutes if they are walking fast, that is not accessible to many things outside of buses. And speaking from someone who travels a lot, I will always avoid buses if I can help it because they aren’t fixed, and you can easily end up far from your destination if you aren’t careful
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Riverite wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:17 am It says 3.1km from the nearest attraction, that will take someone about 32 minutes if they are walking fast, that is not accessible to many things outside of buses. And speaking from someone who travels a lot, I will always avoid buses if I can help it because they aren’t fixed, and you can easily end up far from your destination if you aren’t careful
Thi

If you're visiting based only on staying in hostel but your concern it's away from any attraction and you're coming without a car and won't use the bus, you don't own a bike, walking isn't cool and you won't share a ride you might as well not come to KC
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Yeah so I walk about 20 km a day because I live in a walking city. Just because you can walk a distance doesn’t make it walkable or enjoyable. Congratulations you just alienated almost any young tourist from the coasts, guess what we aren’t New York we are going to have to make it easier for people to come, because trey won’t otherwise. This is what gets people to visit, make it more tourist friendly. Im not saying it’s a bad hostel, it just strays from What generally makes hostels functional, a lot of which is location. I’m sorry if this is upsetting, but a better area would’ve been east of grand or 18th and vine.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

flyingember wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:11 am
Riverite wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:03 am Also when is KC going to get a proper downtown hostel.
Modern hostels are great. Is time for KC to get a decent one.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:41 pm Tell us what to do!

We're asking the community to weigh in on a few key questions that will guide consultants (Jarrett Walker!) on a redesign of the bus network and connecting mobility services.

I voted for more frequency with fewer lines over broader coverage in low density areas. Develop higher traffic lines that have regular frequency and then span out over time as demand builds up.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

earthling wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:35 am
flyingember wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:11 am
Modern hostels are great. Is time for KC to get a decent one.
Agreed. Seems like there are also some cool opportunities in Midtown for a unique location. They would make staying in KC a much different experience than the typical DT hotel. Although, I'm sure the NIMBYS will never let it happen.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

earthling wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:37 am

I voted for more frequency with fewer lines over broader coverage in low density areas. Develop higher traffic lines that have regular frequency and then span out over time as demand builds up.
+1
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:39 am
earthling wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:37 am

+1
Thanks for taking it! Please share the survey with your networks. The more people that answer these values question up front will provide more backing if significant changes are needed when the plan is released later this year.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^"Everyone, please vote as I did or don't vote at all!" :)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Survey ends July 31! http://ridekcnext.org
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:20 pm Survey ends July 31! http://ridekcnext.org
Survey was extended and closes late this evening (Monday, Aug. 12)!
kcmiz
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kcmiz »

What’s the status of Jarrett Walker’s company’s redesign of the bus network?

Free bus service is noble. But a free bus ride is pretty worthless if it takes most people 1hr+ each way to get where they need to go.

The network desperately needs a redesign and increased frequency in high traffic routes to be of any real value to riders.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

kcmiz wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:48 pm What’s the status of Jarrett Walker’s company’s redesign of the bus network?

Free bus service is noble. But a free bus ride is pretty worthless if it takes most people 1hr+ each way to get where they need to go.

The network desperately needs a redesign and increased frequency in high traffic routes to be of any real value to riders.
Improvements would be ideal but for those who can work from laptop a one hour commute isn't as big of a deal. And the buses have free Wifi. Can work or surf web, etc. while on bus and no driving hassles. I've been taking the bus to work off/on since the 90s in KC. Yes it would be faster to drive but once adjusted, taking bus is less hassle in the end. Though yeah, it will be more convenient for those who live in city core and along routes that have more frequency.

With Uber, Zipcar, scooters and free bus, these will allow many to go carless once getting into that mode or 2 adult households just needing one car. No car payments, auto insurance, gas fills, auto repairs, driving hassles, etc. Taking Uber and using Zipcar once in a while you may come out spending less overall.

To me owning a car is a luxury, not a necessity. Free bus will reduce car use even more.