OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by normalthings »

Some interesting change orders approved in Feb and March. from the monthly update:
  • Addition of an International Baggage Recheck area adjacent to the International Arrivals Hall that will allow passengers who have cleared Customs to recheck baggage for a connecting domestic flight (use of Owner Contingency);
  • Design of additional lounge or retail shell space on the north end of Concourse A (use of Project Contingency);
  • Construction of additional shell space for future retail or amenity uses adjacent to the gate areas at the north end of Concourse A;
Last edited by normalthings on Thu May 05, 2022 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

New lounge in addition to the Delta Sky Club?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

freedog wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:09 pm New lounge in addition to the Delta Sky Club?
Delta lounge is in Concourse B. This change order is for Con A
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:05 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:56 pm This whole project has been underwhelming from a public wow factor and giving the public some insight into what is coming. The excuse has been design/build but the best we have gotten 10 months from opening is a picture fade from initial basic rendering to a current construction photo. Just overall very poor.

At minimum they would have released some design documents which some of us on here have found only scouring permit documents.

I mean even look inside the current terminal. You are hard pressed to even see ads for a new terminal coming.
I mean they upload progress photos weekly if not more. Monthly walk through video. What average travelers care about they provide
As an average traveler I disagree. Most want to see what's coming. It's just poor. It's fine to be okay with that. I'm sure it was a budget thing
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

normalthings wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:12 pm
freedog wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:09 pm New lounge in addition to the Delta Sky Club?
Which airlines are in Concourse A? This might explain why AA demurred when I pressed them on the lack of an Admirals Club at the new airport. They had one for decades.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

herrfrank wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:41 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:12 pm
Which airlines are in Concourse A? This might explain why AA demurred when I pressed them on the lack of an Admirals Club at the new airport. They had one for decades.
AA was mentioned. Assume some smaller players will also be there
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The monthly update has a map that shows 40 airplanes parked at the terminal. Looks like a gate may have been added at the international area of Concourse A. Airport expansion already happening?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:56 pm This whole project has been underwhelming from a public wow factor and giving the public some insight into what is coming. The excuse has been design/build but the best we have gotten 10 months from opening is a picture fade from initial basic rendering to a current construction photo. Just overall very poor.

At minimum they would have released some design documents which some of us on here have found only scouring permit documents.

I mean even look inside the current terminal. You are hard pressed to even see ads for a new terminal coming.
This process has definitely been better than some of the other airport projects I’ve followed around the country. I’d say they’ve done an average to slightly above average job in comparison
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Which would those be?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

41 has had pretty extensive coverage of the progress.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm saying the material provided on what's coming and what to expect to see in the new terminal has been poor from the project team. The comment about what the outside ground will look like was yet another example of that.

Having some intern walk around and video the construction and post it on Twitter with random cutshots is pretty basic stuff I'd equate to a tiny project
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:27 am Which would those be?
Boston, Charlotte, Denver, Newark, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Seattle. The only projects that have really done as well with pr it would seem are the LaGuardia project, Orlando, Salt Lake and maybe SFO.

I follow all these projects regularly on multiple outlets (YouTube, FB, Twitter, their websites themselves) and outside of initial renderings most only post periodic update videos or occasional pictures & Time-lapses. Some of the projects did infinitely better with initial renderings though I.E. a full video fly through of new terminal buildings and video renderings of fully built out facilities. If anything that is really all that our project failed to demonstrate.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We are 10 months from opening and all we really know about the terminal is bathroom stall doors open out and jetways are glass.

Compare this to another pubic project the streetcar extension. Much better public data coming out of that project and much smaller budget
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:45 am We are 10 months from opening and all we really know about the terminal is bathroom stall doors open out and jetways are glass.

Compare this to another pubic project the streetcar extension. Much better public data coming out of that project and much smaller budget
I’m not saying they’re doing exceptionally well overall with branding or publicity, merely stating that they’re above par for the course for US airport projects. What all do you truly want? Justin with the aviation department does pretty well at answering any questions people have of the project, and the weekly photo updates and monthly video updates do pretty well to fill in on most of the public inquires. What more do you need from them?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Feel I've stated what I think they missed on already many times. Complete renderings, what the final product will look like, layout maps, final tenant list, lounge data, flythroughs, where will Ubers pick up, operational details, etc. Stuff that can excite the public to what is coming and what to expect. No doubt they have been good with little snippets of construction progress. No complaints there.

Justin is definitely good at being attentive.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Would tend to agree with Powercat re: operational details and flythrough renderings. Maybe I'm still sore about value engineering away the undulating roof and fountain...

I commented on the exterior approach/landscaping. Don't think we've seen anything documenting that outside of the original handful of garage renderings, and even then nothing specific to the landscaping; it very well could have been placeholder stuff in the images. I admit it's of negligible importance to the average traveler, but it would be nice to know for those interested, and it will be a component of the first impressions of the new terminal building for all users.

I do think BuildKCI has done a great job with ongoing construction updates as well as info re: the public art component. I'm really excited to see the finished product including the art and vendors - think those involved have (tentatively) knocked it out of the park there.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:59 am

Having some intern walk around and video the construction and post it on Twitter with random cutshots is pretty basic stuff I'd equate to a tiny project
Its a FTE marketing
Last edited by normalthings on Thu May 05, 2022 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:42 am Complete renderings,
what the final product will look like,
Every area has been shown in rendering. Gate lounge, connector, head house, bag claim, good court, etc
KCPowercat wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:42 am

layout maps,

final tenant list,

Doubt they know who the exact tenants are. A layout map was published though

KCPowercat wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:42 am
where will Ubers pick up,
Was said that parking garage floor 1
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The only rendering was during the bid. You are telling us during a design build project that didn't change? It was also very basic as renderings go.

The layout was uncovered by us here in permit attachments. Mot to the public on the buildkci site which that site is a perfect illustration to my point.

We don't know the tenants yet? No way that's accurate. A council meeting 18 months ago went over the names but nothing final ever provided. Chic fila was booted after that meeting for example.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:58 am The only rendering was during the bid. You are telling us during a design build project that didn't change? It was also very basic as renderings go.

The layout was uncovered by us here in permit attachments. Mot to the public on the buildkci site which that site is a perfect illustration to my point.

We don't know the tenants yet? No way that's accurate. A council meeting 18 months ago went over the names but nothing final ever provided. Chic fila was booted after that meeting for example.
What do you mean? The concessions renderings/layout were uploaded last year. This is one of the documents with them. I am saying I doubt they have a 100% locked in tenants but they at least have this. It was also last summer/fall that this stuff was discussed.

https://www.buildkci.com/wp-content/upl ... tation.pdf

https://www.buildkci.com/wp-content/upl ... tation.pdf