OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by KCPowercat »

75 feet from road to plane is what TWA advertised. So 25 feet? 30?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:42 pm 75 feet from road to plane is what TWA advertised. So 25 feet? 30?
Ok, so the new terminal is a little bit wider but should have more traffic since it’s half the size of the current terminal.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:17 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:42 pm 75 feet from road to plane is what TWA advertised. So 25 feet? 30?
Ok, so the new terminal is a little bit wider but should have more traffic since it’s half the size of the current terminal.
Let’s say it’s 70’ wide today (close to the actual dimension of 72’). 50-50 inside outside ratio. 100% of inside security circulation and seating happens within ‘35. In the new terminal. 2 x 33’ is just for seating and 33’ for circulation.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah nobody uses pre security now. There is no way to compare the two
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Anyway, sorry for the train off the tracks. It’s really hard to tell exactly what the flow will be like. I just have some concerns because I’ve been to airports where the walking areas are WAY too narrow where you have to stop to let traffic through. Austin comes to mind. It always seems this happens at the T where people start splitting out to gates. Would have liked to have seen the concourse wider especially at those points then getting narrower at the end of the gates.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Think every airport has rush times where it feels like that but not sure it's effective design to build for it 100%. I also think we're projecting what we've felt in a hub city of an old airport terminal to this terminal.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:23 am Think every airport has rush times where it feels like that but not sure it's effective design to build for it 100%. I also think we're projecting what we've felt in a hub city of an old airport terminal to this terminal.
Just a once in a lifetime build and want it to be amazing. Also, I don't really trust the airlines to not cut corners that greatly benefit the customer experience but don't affect the bottom line on seats sold.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

and unfortunately they are the ones leasing and signing off on the budget.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

This is what happens when you provide a lowly $1.5B budget. Maybe spending $3 billion dollars would have been enough to make the terminal wide, instead of narrow? A $2.5M change..

Perhaps even a nice $50-75K fountain could have been included?
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

I measured the width of the concourses at RSW, which opened 17 years ago. They are 90 feet wide, so 10 feet narrower than the new KCI, and I haven't found the corridors too narrow or the seating areas too small. Nor have i seen anyone else complaining about them. This entire "controversy" is going to be a nothingburger once the terminal finally opens.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

And only this thread
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Sani wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:44 pm I measured the width of the concourses at RSW, which opened 17 years ago. They are 90 feet wide, so 10 feet narrower than the new KCI, and I haven't found the corridors too narrow or the seating areas too small. Nor have i seen anyone else complaining about them. This entire "controversy" is going to be a nothingburger once the terminal finally opens.
Yeah the entire thing is stupid on all aspects of the airport because it’s just people blowing hot air until they go inside and realize it’s not bad
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Food court style airports can be a little messy too if they try to feed everyone directly into one. The renderings don't really show that though.

Occam's razor is that the designers aren't idiots and designed a functioning airport. I'm just excited to see it instead of trying to extrapolate from random Twitter photos.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I hope you all are right. Less than a year to see in person.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I just flew out of Dallas Love for the first time in a long time. What fucking disaster that airport is, at least on a busy day like today. One of the worst airport experiences I have seen a long time and it's a smaller airport. I really hope the new KCI functions better because it sure looks like it's set up in a very similar way.

Also, it looks to have about the same size headhouse and gate concourses (very low budget feeling) and they were very congested, especially the headhouse.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Looks like Dallas Love has almost twice the flights as KCI, so the new KCI should be fine I guess for the flights they handle. The new KCI will have almost twice as many gates.

I am a bit concerned about the size of the Headhouse though as KCI traffic grows.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:29 pm Looks like Dallas Love has almost twice the flights as KCI, so the new KCI should be fine I guess for the flights they handle. The new KCI will have almost twice as many gates.

I am a bit concerned about the size of the Headhouse though as KCI traffic grows.
Head house is designed to be expanded as needed and also takes into account technology advancement
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:03 am
GRID wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:29 pm Looks like Dallas Love has almost twice the flights as KCI, so the new KCI should be fine I guess for the flights they handle. The new KCI will have almost twice as many gates.

Head house is designed to be expanded as needed and also takes into account technology advancement
That's good. I'm sure KCI will be fine considering the lower volumes. At least the new terminal gives the airport a fresh start and KCI can simply grow as needed rather than trying to make do with a broken airport. You would just never hear the end of it from those that hated replacing the old terminals if the new terminal bogs down during busy times like Dallas Love does. And Love Field seems to have most of the modern tech I see in newer airports (all the self serve kiosks etc).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Easy enough to point those people to how horrible the current terminal was during any sort of semblance of busy. Those people will never be happy why worry about it?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Maybe I’m easily impressed, but Love Field is one of my favorite airports. I can get to my gate extremely quickly and 90% of the time TSA is less than 10 minutes. Holidays are the exception, but even then the line is the same as the avg DFW wait. I haven’t been too bothered by congestion even during thanksgiving.

Maybe it’s just different priorities. I want many cheap, direct flights and I want to get to my gate quickly. Love field hits both of those & I hope the airport in KC does too