OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by dev49 »

missingkc wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:13 pm Interesting comment by Pete Fullerton, assistant director of properties and commercial development with the City of Kansas City, Missouri Aviation Department. Fullerton, joined by panelists Tina Chace, executive director of Platte County Economic Development Council, and Jade Liska, deputy director of planning and engineering division with the City of Kansas City, Missouri Aviation Department, discussed the new Kansas City International Airport (KCI) terminal facility and its impact on Platte County commercial real estate development at a CREW KC’s luncheon last week.
In response to a question about plans for transportation options between downtown and the airport, Fullerton said to keep an eye on electric vehicle flights, known as eVTOL (electric vertical takeoff and landing) or air taxis.

“I have no doubt in my mind, just my little crystal ball, that by 2026, and the World Cup, we’ll be doing air taxis,” he said.
If by air taxi he means rich VIPs taking helicopters from the airport to the stadium/wherever, then sure. Although I’m guessing the downtown airport will handle a lot of private planes, but they only have so much room.

It will be interesting to see what teams get scheduled here. Hopefully a pod with counties that will have a lot of fans.
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/when-will- ... os1&page=1

It does seem like there is considerable momentum behind the air taxi concept. A World Cup seems like the perfect event to utilize the technology, especially in KC.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Sure

*shrugs*
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

New terminal will be able to smoke 216 pork butts at once
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:02 am New terminal will be able to smoke 216 pork butts at once
The real numbers we wanted to know :lol:
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

https://twitter.com/ericvdunn/status/15 ... gpqXxtPALQ

A silly thing I know but our current airport situation is actually sad.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It's not silly and it's embarrassing. I hope we're not paying these people anything or are suing for breach of contract because the service has been abysmal for over a year now.

I was at the place outside delta and they were offering cold sandwiches which I don't think they had one poor person asked for one.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The saddest part of all is that there are people out there who wanted to keep this. That's just mind-boggling.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

UMKC Roo wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:43 pm The saddest part of all is that there are people out there who wanted to keep this. That's just mind-boggling.
Yeap, it really is mindboogling, they are probably the same people who think a downtown baseball stadium is a bad idea because there will be no parking
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

In the defense of the current terminals, Mark VanLoh during his tenure did little if anything to truly maintain or improve the current design. He was determined to sell a new terminal, and he absolutely did (given in a sleazy way) but at least we’re getting an improvement now!

Had the current design been given a fair shake at a retrofit, I’d imagine we could’ve made them quite functional, even pleasant. Too many wanted the new terminal though, so it was bound to happen.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:53 am In the defense of the current terminals, Mark VanLoh during his tenure did little if anything to truly maintain or improve the current design. He was determined to sell a new terminal, and he absolutely did (given in a sleazy way) but at least we’re getting an improvement now!

Had the current design been given a fair shake at a retrofit, I’d imagine we could’ve made them quite functional, even pleasant. Too many wanted the new terminal though, so it was bound to happen.
No doubt, we let the existing terminals go to the point they became even more unpleasant than they had to be. But I do not agree with the second statement. Every retrofit option I saw left KC with a less than optimal but still costly solution to the problem.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I’m a little surprised about the complaints on KCI right now. It’s dying. Why are we surprised it’s dying? Businesses in the building know they only have a few months. They’re not going to spend money. Upkeep is a waste. They’re moving on to other businesses and ways to make money. There’s no lease renewals. Employees might know they only have a certain amount of time. And building maintenance is going to do the absolute bare minimum to inch by for a few months. So, if there’s a plumbing problem, bandaid it or put a sign up for a few months. Let it die.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:24 pm I’m a little surprised about the complaints on KCI right now. It’s dying. Why are we surprised it’s dying? Businesses in the building know they only have a few months. They’re not going to spend money. Upkeep is a waste. They’re moving on to other businesses and ways to make money. There’s no lease renewals. Employees might know they only have a certain amount of time. And building maintenance is going to do the absolute bare minimum to inch by for a few months. So, if there’s a plumbing problem, bandaid it or put a sign up for a few months. Let it die.
I believe KCI concessions are under a single vendor who leases various brands. They are contracted to do their job until 2023 and should be. All staff who want to will get rehired by the new terminal vendor
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Let's not romanticize what KCI was even back 10 years ago. It was still horrible.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:58 pm Let's not romanticize what KCI was even back 10 years ago. It was still horrible.
You’re not wrong, but it was at least somewhat operational
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:47 pm I believe KCI concessions are under a single vendor who leases various brands. They are contracted to do their job until 2023 and should be. All staff who want to will get rehired by the new terminal vendor
I know people should technically do their job to the very end. But, it's hard to not expect some degradation of work when pink slips have already been handed out and you're "working your last two weeks".
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:02 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:47 pm All staff who want to will get rehired by the new terminal vendor
I know people should technically do their job to the very end. But, it's hard to not expect some degradation of work when pink slips have already been handed out and you're "working your last two weeks".
See my original post. IIRC going from around 300-400staff in old to 1200 staff in new terminal
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Yea, I think the biggest issue is with the hours of the concessions. I don't know for sure but they definitely seem to have paired back opening times across both terminals. They definitely seem to be running an absolute skeleton crew.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

alejandro46 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:42 pm Yea, I think the biggest issue is with the hours of the concessions. I don't know for sure but they definitely seem to have paired back opening times across both terminals. They definitely seem to be running an absolute skeleton crew.
I know anicdotal things are bs, but from the workers I've talked to they said that the company that employs them kept saying they couldn't hire any new people after covid. It's complete BS.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Wonder if there is any chance the extra lounge space could be these smaller amex escape lounges?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/centurion ... -columbus/