OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by GRID »

It's mostly the local news social media sites. I don't normally follow them, but actually looked them all up to look at the new KCI footage. I know local news commenters are the worst of the worst on social media but I had to engage with a few of them lol.

I have noticed that generally people are a little more open minded to the new terminal from people I personally know that were once against it. But many still think its going to fail and that KCI doesn't need to be a "mall". Even though the new KCI is hardly the mall type place that many major airports are.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

I'm no longer a member, but am happy to hear the Clear will be an option on opening day.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've never had clear make my security any quicker than my travel partner through precheck.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

It saved my ass in ORD once. But that's why I'm no longer paying for it. ;)
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Security is rarely an issue at any airport anymore, but I try to avoid flying out early in the mornings when airports are generally busiest. If KCI has dedicated TSA pre and clear, then that alone will be really nice. The ones now at KCI are hard to find or may not exist for some airlines.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:31 pm The number of times I've thought about what I'm eating while at an airport is a grand total of zero
You’d be in the minority.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:17 am
TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:31 pm The number of times I've thought about what I'm eating while at an airport is a grand total of zero
The one area I'm slightly concerned about is young kids. Something dumb and basic might be helpful because kids are dumb and basic.

On the rest, I'm with thelastg. I don't think I could name an airport restaurant. I'm not concerned about this, although I reserve the right to change my mind once I see it.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:08 am
The one area I'm slightly concerned about is young kids. Something dumb and basic might be helpful because kids are dumb and basic.

On the rest, I'm with thelastg. I don't think I could name an airport restaurant. I'm not concerned about this, although I reserve the right to change my mind once I see it.
For sure on the kids thing. Slap a McDonald’s in there and you’re set. Kids can be picky but parents should pack snacks and plan for this.

I do agree I don’t put a lot of thought into where I’m going to eat and generally avoid a meal before flying unless it’s during a layover.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Has anyone heard any talk of how the switch over to the new terminal will occur? This came up in conversation the other day and everyone was curious about the logistics of something like this.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:43 am
WoodDraw wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:08 am

For sure on the kids thing. Slap a McDonald’s in there and you’re set. Kids can be picky but parents should pack snacks and plan for this.

I do agree I don’t put a lot of thought into where I’m going to eat and generally avoid a meal before flying unless it’s during a layover.
For sure McDonald's but even like a basic Applebee's style chain. If they didn't fuck over KC they might be there. But just some basic chain that everyone knows that you can sit a couple kids at a table.

It's more of a concern if we start getting any connecting traffic. I know it's limited space and I don't blame them at all for going local.

I think you're right that most parents will plan for this and avoid airport prices. Regular travelers don't care. Locals should be familiar with the options.

I'm not too worried.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

August construction report is out.

https://www.buildkci.com/wp-content/upl ... 8.2022.pdf

Can anyone shed some light on this North Concourse lounge? Page 22.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

trexel94 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:18 pm August construction report is out.

https://www.buildkci.com/wp-content/upl ... 8.2022.pdf

Can anyone shed some light on this North Concourse lounge? Page 22.
This was found in the Edgemoor updates. Expansion of lounge and hold room at Concourse A
cardium
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cardium »

Connector artist posted an update of the first cloud installation:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ci2sQIGOcnX/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

smh wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:23 am Has anyone heard any talk of how the switch over to the new terminal will occur? This came up in conversation the other day and everyone was curious about the logistics of something like this.
Overnight change all at once is what I remember reading
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

cardium wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:40 am Connector artist posted an update of the first cloud installation:

Very cool
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

cardium wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:40 am Connector artist posted an update of the first cloud installation:

Love it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:54 am
smh wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:23 am Has anyone heard any talk of how the switch over to the new terminal will occur? This came up in conversation the other day and everyone was curious about the logistics of something like this.
Don't the planes just pull up to a different building? The terminal is changing, not the airport location or runways. I don't want to oversimplify, but it certainly won't be like Denver's opening. Theoretically they could revert to the old terminals if there's a major problem (security, baggage handling).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah doesn't seem like a hard thing.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:19 pm
Don't the planes just pull up to a different building? The terminal is changing, not the airport location or runways. I don't want to oversimplify, but it certainly won't be like Denver's opening. Theoretically they could revert to the old terminals if there's a major problem (security, baggage handling).
This is an interesting question, but I have to think the answer is no. They have to secure the terminal.

My assumption is there will be security there but no tsa or customs.

They'll secure the new terminal far in advance too. Like you can't just leave a screw gun accidentally sitting by gate bxx.

My assumption was always that they'll keep the other terminal secured for like a day extra for arrivals if everything gets fucked up.

But I don't think they'll be letting new people there
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:19 pm
They could let the last flights of the day prior to the first day of departures deplane at the new terminal. But I wouldn’t be that surprised if they just tow the planes over from old to new overnight. A pain logistically, but it’s a one time thing.