OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by dnweava »

Multiple BBQ places, 4+ coffee shops, multiple food halls... We are going to have a ton of options for food/drink but I'm skeptical we will have enough traffic to keep all of them in business.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dnweava wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:33 pm Multiple BBQ places, 4+ coffee shops, multiple food halls... We are going to have a ton of options for food/drink but I'm skeptical we will have enough traffic to keep all of them in business.
I think the opposite. Doesn’t seem like as much retail as at other new terminal in Indianapolis, New Orleans, etc
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Love the local options as someone who lives here and is familiar with what they are. Something unique about kci

Just hope those who are traveling here are satisfied without options they recognize
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:19 pm Love the local options as someone who lives here and is familiar with what they are. Something unique about kci

Just hope those who are traveling here are satisfied without options they recognize
IND has a big local/non chain name presence. When they published sales numbers a few years ago iirc the chains outsold locals still.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:13 pm
dnweava wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:33 pm Multiple BBQ places, 4+ coffee shops, multiple food halls... We are going to have a ton of options for food/drink but I'm skeptical we will have enough traffic to keep all of them in business.
I think the opposite. Doesn’t seem like as much retail as at other new terminal in Indianapolis, New Orleans, etc
Do you have square footages or # or outlets or just a feeling? MSY had 1 million more passengers in 2019 than KCI. IND had a million less.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:42 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:13 pm
Do you have square footages or # or outlets or just a feeling? MSY had 1 million more passengers in 2019 than KCI. IND had a million less.
IND has around 63,000sqft retail according to the latest report I found. I don’t think that number includes the large food court area “town center” that many of the restaurants are centered around

I know they had been trying to expand offerings.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't know why a report wouldn't list all the retail but okay. I don't have MSY or MCI numbers to compare that.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:59 pm I don't know why a report wouldn't list all the retail but okay. I don't have MSY or MCI numbers to compare that.
I’m saying I believe that’s for the retail space but not the open “town center” they surround.

Ie. Retail rentable vs open food court seating and circulation space

Last edited by normalthings on Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I see. Still only one number does nothing to help compare.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:03 pm I see. Still only one number does nothing to help compare.
That photo of their airport always amazes me (and looks great in person). NoLa also looks fantastic
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

These photos come from @ZachisHere on Twitter. It’s looking good. Link to Twitter thread, with more photos, some videos, and thoughts, is linked here: https://twitter.com/zachishere/status/1 ... 4400430081
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

When are they gonna announce the official opening date?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:47 am When are they gonna announce the official opening date?
I believe a recent progress report had March 3rd as “opening day”, but we’ll see. They might have a “soft opening” towards the end of February as operations are switched over.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

How many people walking and looking at their phones are going to run into those beams? :)
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:14 am How many people walking and looking at their phones are going to run into those beams? :)
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

So how does an airport opening work? We go to bed one night and when we wake up the old terminals are inactive and the new one is in working order? Or will they phase this by airlines?
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

I see in the pic Gate B63. I thought there were to be something on the order of 30something gates total. What gives?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:49 pm We go to bed one night and when we wake up the old terminals are inactive and the new one is in working order??
Exactly yes
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

SingleMalt12 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:00 pm I see in the pic Gate B63. I thought there were to be something on the order of 30something gates total. What gives?
Was wondering the same when I saw it
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Makes us feel bigger is the only reason can think to number gates that high