OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:43 pm Prices have gone up significantly though.
Uber is trying to lure drivers back with weekly bonuses and higher surge pricing. They’re still lacking the amount of drivers needed
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Last couple times I used Uber in last couple weeks it shows assigned driver assigned to another fare. You can watch them drop off current rider before heading your way. Never saw that until recently (Midtown/Downtown).
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

earthling wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:18 pm Last couple times I used Uber in last couple weeks it shows assigned driver assigned to another fare. You can watch them drop off current rider before heading your way. Never saw that until recently (Midtown/Downtown).
In Austin, about 80% of my rides are me getting pinged while I’m currently driving someone else. This is infuriating for both parties, as drivers don’t get full info on distance, rough route, or time, and passengers have to wait longer than reasonable
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

chrizow wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:58 am
im2kull wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:55 pm
chrizow wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:47 pm terminal C should be preserved as a jail for anyone still saying we do not need a new airport.

flew out of KCI last week and was stuck in the longest security line i've ever had there. it was 3 lines, each at least 100 deep. airport staff called out for anyone whose plane was boarding to head to the front of the line - cue at least 40% of those in line trying to cram to the front. it was a shitshow. we almost missed our flight.
I flew out twice last week and arrived 15 minutes prior to boarding each time. Maybe 7 people in each security line. Made it to the secured area five minutes before boarding began. Not sure what your problem is TBH. I have NEVER had a problem getting from the curb to the gate quickly at MCI, EVER.
I don't have a problem--MCI has a problem, which resulted in me and my wife being in a security line as long and slow as the worst lines I have experienced at DIA, CDG, ORD, and other much larger and busier airports.

To be fair, it is true this was an unusual experience - I have flown out of MCI dozens of times and have experienced ridiculously long lines at check-in or security maybe 12 times. But I have had an abysmal airport experience 100% of those times b/c MCI is a complete joke. It is, without question, the worst airport I have ever visited, of 40+ airports total - and it's my hometown airport.
Complaining about Southwest being slow while thousands of Southwest flights are being grounded daily is a little rich.. or ignorant.. or both. Just my .02c.

If you're flying SW you also have to account for the fact that 90% of their PAX are families and leisure travel folks who likely rarely fly. Those security lines will always be slower simply because of that.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

In case there is any doubt, everyone should read some Yelp reviews. You can go to Trip Advisor and find the same thing. It doesn't matter what airline is involved, most flying into or out of KCI and are motivated enough to write a review find it subpar. There are a few decent reviews but the bad outweigh the good by a huge margin and many of the reviews are scathing. A lot of 1* reviews.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/kansas-city-in ... 5?start=10

I actually found the overall view of KCI (which I realize is indeed a shit show)from outsiders a little embarrassing. I hope these people know help is on its way. In terms of Yelp reviews, of the airports I checked, only LAX comes close to KCI but for very different reasons.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

A lot of those bad reviews are complete jokes.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

im2kull wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:15 am A lot of those bad reviews are complete jokes.
Why? They are real people providing information regarding their experience. The reviews of KCI are almost unanimously scathing. No other airport other than LAX gets similar reviews. It's not a conspiracy against KCI, it is actually indicative of the condition of the airport whether you agree or not with the review. Perception is everything.

There are people, yourself included, for whatever reason don't mind KCI's inefficiencies because they have developed a routine that allows them to arrive late and spend minimal time in the airport. The problem with that mindset is 1. that's not what the vast majority of people do so their experience is going to be a lot different than yours and 2. if everyone actually did that, it would be chaos and even more dysfunctional than it already is.
Last edited by Highlander on Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:32 am The airport is miserable. It can’t handle Uber at all, it can’t handle more than one flight at a time at bag claim.

I can’t believe people still defend it.
There's a dedicated two lane transit/taxi drop off lane.

What it can't support is vehicles just sitting in the loop. That's not going to change with the new terminal.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

im2kull wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:52 pm
If you're flying SW you also have to account for the fact that 90% of their PAX are families and leisure travel folks who likely rarely fly. Those security lines will always be slower simply because of that.
You're backwards.

In 2019 business travel was 30% of SW trips
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/22/southwe ... virus.html

80% of domestic passengers are leisure trips in total.
So there were more business travelers with them than the average.

And with fewer flights daily across their network security lines would have less people in them. They're about 80% of 2019
https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus/passenger-throughput

What happened is the airlines stuck everyone on fewer flights so there's a greater percentage of people all at the same time than you would have seen a couple years ago.

We flew to Oregon in July and every seat was full both directions
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Not gonna lie, the giant concrete parking garage we’ve built is a stunning first impression to our shiny new airport. Commanding.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

MidtownCat wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:53 pm Not gonna lie, the giant concrete parking garage we’ve built is a stunning first impression to our shiny new airport. Commanding.
The glass facade will be put on once they are done erecting it.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:54 pm
earthling wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:18 pm Last couple times I used Uber in last couple weeks it shows assigned driver assigned to another fare. You can watch them drop off current rider before heading your way. Never saw that until recently (Midtown/Downtown).
In Austin, about 80% of my rides are me getting pinged while I’m currently driving someone else. This is infuriating for both parties, as drivers don’t get full info on distance, rough route, or time, and passengers have to wait longer than reasonable

Yes this is horrible for the next passenger. On Tuesday I was waiting for my driver to finish a drop off (10 minute remaining wait time) and one dropped off right in front of me. I cancelled and was able to book the new driver so it worked out ~ but wth?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

TrolliKC wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:35 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:54 pm

Yes this is horrible for the next passenger. On Tuesday I was waiting for my driver to finish a drop off (10 minute remaining wait time) and one dropped off right in front of me. I cancelled and was able to book the new driver so it worked out ~ but wth?
It works mostly off of routing, not current location, so if a driver is driving to your exact location, they’re more likely to get pinged, even over someone who might be closer or already at your destination. Not the best system to say the least. I’m hoping the Airport at least has their Rideshare/Taxi rank setup so it’ll be easier for people to get rides, and with it being consolidated I think that’ll contribute to shorter wait times overall
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

normalthings wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:32 pm
MidtownCat wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:53 pm Not gonna lie, the giant concrete parking garage we’ve built is a stunning first impression to our shiny new airport. Commanding.
The glass facade will be put on once they are done erecting it.
Hahaha. Yeah. What a ridiculous arrival experience.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

The first major structure you see at most airports is a massive parking structure. :roll:

KC screws up plenty of stuff, but cmon. This is SOP for modern airports, for better or worse.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

horizons82 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:13 am The first major structure you see at most airports is a massive parking structure. :roll:

KC screws up plenty of stuff, but cmon. This is SOP for modern airports, for better or worse.
I think it’s more so the fact that it’s a full two stories above the terminal. It makes the arrivals area feel like a canyon. I still argue that the expense of going subterranean for a couple stories would’ve helped to not make the garage feel as imposing
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:48 am I think it’s more so the fact that it’s a full two stories above the terminal. It makes the arrivals area feel like a canyon. I still argue that the expense of going subterranean for a couple stories would’ve helped to not make the garage feel as imposing
The cost of going below grade is significant. There’s not a world where you VE the roof heights/forms of the terminal but still budget for sub-grade parking.

I get what you’re saying about a canyon effect in the departures roadway, but that also occurs at plenty of other facilities. It seems silly to single out this as a KC blunder when it occurs all over the country.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

horizons82 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:02 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:48 am I think it’s more so the fact that it’s a full two stories above the terminal. It makes the arrivals area feel like a canyon. I still argue that the expense of going subterranean for a couple stories would’ve helped to not make the garage feel as imposing
The cost of going below grade is significant. There’s not a world where you VE the roof heights/forms of the terminal but still budget for sub-grade parking.

I get what you’re saying about a canyon effect in the departures roadway, but that also occurs at plenty of other facilities. It seems silly to single out this as a KC blunder when it occurs all over the country.
The pronunciation of the canyon effect is significantly more profound with this terminal, due to edgemoore attempting to appease the “parking close to gates” crowd. A similar design can be seen in Austin’s current airport, however they’re first garage is offset further back and slightly shorter. I feel like they just brought it in a little too close
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:07 pm
horizons82 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:02 am

The pronunciation of the canyon effect is significantly more profound with this terminal, due to edgemoore attempting to appease the “parking close to gates” crowd. A similar design can be seen in Austin’s current airport, however they’re first garage is offset further back and slightly shorter. I feel like they just brought it in a little too close
The parking garage can't "back" away from the terminal. Current location is as close as you can get to utilities to current terminals and the ATC facility.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Doesn’t directly pertain to new terminal but I was dropping off some people to AUS for a flight earlier and noticed a BA 787-8 at one of the gates as I was pulling away from the terminal. I’m hoping that this new terminal gives us some increased odds of receiving at least one transatlantic route, I’ve been hearing many people rave about this route here in Austin, but this was the first I’d seen of an aircraft here. It would be an incredibly welcome sight in KC