OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

langosta wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:40 pm The more you engage with a type of post. The more you will see them. I do not engage and so I do not see those.
Unfortunately it wasn't from online. It was from some family members of mine, who initially were excited about the new airport. My cousin was telling me about it on the phone, then one of my parents today now.

Could care less about the trolls online. But this is a real trend now if I'm hearing it in person...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Doesn't sound like much of a trend
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Who cares? The terminal is already built and open. They can grumble all they want, it doesn't matter.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

phuqueue wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:23 am Who cares? The terminal is already built and open. They can grumble all they want, it doesn't matter.
Exactly, we’re not going to close it and go back to the old terminals, no matter how much people writing into the star want to. These folks will get over it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm sure it's the same in every city but this is the same glidepath as every public project I've ever watched in KC.

Stage 1 - complain about the new idea when it comes out
Stage 2 - Acceptance before it's open
Stage 3 - short term excitement pumped by media reports
Stage 4 - small nugget turned into "told you so back in stage 1"
Stage 5 - everybody ends up liking the change

See Sprint Center, Streetcar, P&L. Soon coming to downtown baseball and streetcar extension.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:00 am I'm sure it's the same in every city but this is the same glidepath as every public project I've ever watched in KC.

Stage 1 - complain about the new idea when it comes out
Stage 2 - Acceptance before it's open
Stage 3 - short term excitement pumped by media reports
Stage 4 - small nugget turned into "told you so back in stage 1"
Stage 5 - everybody ends up liking the change

See Sprint Center, Streetcar, P&L. Soon coming to downtown baseball and streetcar extension.
Good list of stages; that was DIA in a nutshell. The baggage system didn't work well when the airport first opened leading to the same sort of criticism and second guessing (that and the distance from the city compared to Stapleton). Now the airport is a point of pride with the city.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Highlander wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:30 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:11 pm I took the bus from East Village today and arrived very early so I could grab some lunch and test the working situation. No parking or curb drama!

First of all, security was amazing. Such an airy space, unlike any other. Don't laugh, but I'm a Clear member and it worked flawlessly here. Lunch at Brown & Loe was okay, but they did have a local wine on the menu (not to my liking, but zero airports get this right despite fawning over local beers made with important ingredients). Grabbed a drink at The Tasting Room before my Delta flight. I'm returning on Southwest tomorrow, so I'll report on boarding and arrivals after that.
How busy were the bars and restaurants?
Not very. Decidedly less busy than most airports I've been to. Probably a factor of not being a focus or hub for anyone?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We now have the amenity capacity to be right there for an airline to utilize. Good place to be as a local flier.
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

So what the hell do they want? Move to the former two terminals till the new one is torn down and replaces with the old one?

Good grief. To those who would complain if they were hung with a new rope, grow up. This is your airport. It's nicer than the old one even if you do have to walk more than a few feet to your gate and it has larger cleaner bathrooms.
Like it, don't like it. Whatever. Get on the plane & when you get to your destination go to McDonalds & enjoy.
Aint nothin you can do about KCI now.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's just the whatever gov't entity "screwed up again" contingent.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Arrival last night was flawless. Pickup at the arrivals curb was quick, since the husband knew what to do (he circled instead of using the cell phone lot, but at least didn't try to park at the curb). The walk to the curb does feel quite a bit longer, so that's perhaps contributing to the congestion as people haven't figured out how long it will take someone to actually get out of the terminal.

Regardless, it's kinda nice to have some built-in steps after a 3-hour flight. I skipped the moving walkway. The art in that space is really worth savoring.

Forgot to mention I did a speed test on the Wi-Fi while waiting for my departure at Brown & Loe. Very impressive.

LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Just returned from a business trip last night and the airport looked great. Agreed on the art installations really make the airport look nice. Especially the "water fountain" in the center of terminal A

I'd say my only concern now is the flooring. Because of the light coloring, you can already see the scuff marks . Unfortunately, I think it'll just look worse over time.

Other than that I'd say it's a great improvement over what we had.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

People keep mentioning the flooring. How did they mess that up? That should be on whoever chose the flooring type. They should be forced to replace it with something fit for an airport.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't think they "messed it up", why does it always rise to that level? It just takes being cleaned, I see scuff marks in a lot of airport baggage claims? I'd prefer the lighter floor to dark that would hide scuff marks better.

In addition to adding traffic monitors/ticketers I do think a crossing guard would be good to help cars vs. peds take turns. If you are a good driver and are respectful to peds, you can be there a bit.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I also heard about "the dirty floor" from a relative ho flew out of there last week
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:38 pm I don't think they "messed it up", why does it always rise to that level? It just takes being cleaned, I see scuff marks in a lot of airport baggage claims? I'd prefer the lighter floor to dark that would hide scuff marks better.

In addition to adding traffic monitors/ticketers I do think a crossing guard would be good to help cars vs. peds take turns. If you are a good driver and are respectful to peds, you can be there a bit.
If it can't be properly maintained and looks like shit the majority of the time, the flooring type was messed up. I don't think KCI has the maintenance crew of Qatar or Singapore airports. They seem to be struggling to keep the bathrooms stocked. So something easy to maintain would be a better option.

A new floor is probably not going to happen and I hope they figure out how to maintain what they installed, but it doesn't seem like they chose the best flooring if it's as noticeable as people say. Maybe it's hyperbole though, who knows.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:38 pm I don't think they "messed it up", why does it always rise to that level? It just takes being cleaned, I see scuff marks in a lot of airport baggage claims? I'd prefer the lighter floor to dark that would hide scuff marks better.

I know it sounds stupid, but having someone in a uniform just scares people into doing the right thing too.

I was at the downtown STL Amtrak station and they had someone out there whose job, as far as I could tell, was to just scream at cars. And it worked!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:55 pm

If it can't be properly maintained and looks like shit the majority of the time, the flooring type was messed up. I don't think KCI has the maintenance crew of Qatar or Singapore airports. They seem to be struggling to keep the bathrooms stocked. So something easy to maintain would be a better option.

A new floor is probably not going to happen and I hope they figure out how to maintain what they installed, but it doesn't seem like they chose the best flooring if it's as noticeable as people say. Maybe it's hyperbole though, who knows.
It's been open 18 days and Grid has now declared the flooring a failure and calling for it's replacement. Come on my man!

I mentioned it in my detailed walkaround, you can definitely notice it, that is far from the floor being messed up. Uneven floor? Messed up.

Bathrooms aren't stocked? Where?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:56 pm

I know it sounds stupid, but having someone in a uniform just scares people into doing the right thing too.

I was at the downtown STL Amtrak station and they had someone out there whose job, as far as I could tell, was to just scream at cars. And it worked!
Agreed. Needs to happen. KCI is being too nice already. Give me a whistle and a vest, I'll do it for free
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

I flew in earlier this week too.

Nearly everything was great, but the two things they could do to improve are increasing the maintenance staff for floor and bathrooms (I flew from DTW and every-time I've been there I've seen one of those ridden floor cleaners.) and adding either a person or crosswalk buttons for arrivals. There was a clear slowdown due to all of the people crossing the street.