OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:00 pm People tend to see what they want to see. In my times at kci I rarely hear a negative comment nor any confused disappointed people
You are very correct, I was looking for reactions and very few reacted negatively, but you could tell those that did were locals. I think k the vast majority of even locals like the new terminal.

And like WoodDraw said, even that doesn't necessarily mean they dislike the new terminal but maybe are just not used to the longer walks.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Ironic thing was at the end of the old terminals people were walking a lot within the secured area depending on the gates, it was just laterally and it wasn't wide open space which maybe people are taken aback now when they see that hallway.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:24 pm Ironic thing was at the end of the old terminals people were walking a lot within the secured area depending on the gates, it was just laterally and it wasn't wide open space which maybe people are taken aback now when they see that hallway.
If you had just walked from B60 and turn the corner there and see that long hallway, I can see why people might be slightly annoyed when they were used to the old terminal. The moving walkways were not all working either. Again, I think most people see the greater good of the new terminal.

On a positive note, there was nobody parked at arrivals and this was during evening.

And I must admit my concerns about the rental car shuttle buses prior to the new terminal opening have been unfounded. We have used KCI now 4-5 times and each time the rental car buses were flawless and almost no wait on either end. The fact that they drop off at the arrivals level is not a big deal either.

We have actually had more issues with BWI lately (overcrowded or long waits for buses). It looks like the economy parking buses still have long lines though. They need larger buses.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The economy blue bus is better service too. I hate parking economy and typically Uber but I always see a blue bus there waiting to load people.

Still hope we can get s new economy lot with APM connecting it and rental car
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yeah I think we all agree. I'm sure not everyone looks at people blocking traffic and the people doing nothing about it and screams internally like me.

We all have our issues we care about 😂

I was just saying that the more I use it, I think it's aging well.

Apm is set up to succeed and it'll be a great airport. Just give me a whistle to scream at cars.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

APM would be really nice for the RCF, but I would think that would create a lot more walking for those using economy parking because you would not have near as many stops. Probably still worth it though. We have driven up to JFK a couple of times and parked in long term parking and it can be a hike to the people mover compared to lots served by buses we use at BWI and IAD.

I always parked in economy when I lived in KC and didn't really have a problem, but they would get crowded easily. Just never seen little buses like that used for major airport shuttles. Even the full size RCF buses at KCI get pretty crowded.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The concept also envisions a new economy lot vs the one we have now
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

moderne wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:02 pm I am older than them and cannot see how someone forties could have good memories of the old terminals. TBH, I do have good memories in the late seventies and early eighties of the terminals. Back before people that flew thought flip flops and jorts were flying attire.
before ultra discount airlines like Spirit?
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Flying changed to basically being buses with wings sometime in the late 90's earlier 2000's. The discount airlines and such catering to people wanting/needing to fly cheap. Also didn't help that every major carrier started to merge and the consumer was left with little choices. Once the board rooms took over the airlines it all went to shit. No one cared about the passengers just the money they spent & the bottom line. Amenities were stripped away and models were created to nickel and dime us all for maximum profits. The whole industry did it. And again, with no alternatives like high speed trains or even non-stop train service between long destinations the airline industry was the king of travel and basically could do whatever they felt like to the consumer.

The best thing we can say about the airline industry is it's safety record and the fact we take it serious. That's a major plus but anything geared toward improving passenger experience is just a pipe dream now.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:25 pm I love our new terminal and agree with you all, basically never see or hear anyone complaining about it while there. My only complaint and it's pathetic, is the "art" in the main lobby as you walk in for departures. It just looks so basic and underwhelming. I get it though, budgets.
that art wasn't cheap. They spent $5.6 million on art. we didn't get our money's worth IMO

It looks like they spent $200 at dollar tree on the main lobby ceiling...
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:37 pm The concept also envisions a new economy lot vs the one we have now
Are any of the proposals available for the public to see? I'd love to know exactly what they're proposing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm going off memory alone but it was a line exiting the north side turning to the east to that empty lot then back north to the RCF
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Interesting, so kind of like Tampa, they would build a new economy garage between the old Terminal C and the CONRAC. Garages are pricey, of course. What would they do with all the land currently taken up by the three economy lots?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd guess the economy lots would still just be surface although that area is much smaller than the current A/C combined economy lots.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The image is so compressed I can’t read it
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:45 pm The image is so compressed I can’t read it
Low quality city video stream from 4 years ago, nothing wrong with the image.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:45 pm The image is so compressed I can’t read it
Stations are airport terminal, new economy lot, and rental car facility. the other box is for the maintenance facility.

I can say that traditional airport APM was looked at as well as LRT/Streetcar. No real study was apparently completed
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

langosta wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:09 am Stations are airport terminal, new economy lot, and rental car facility. the other box is for the maintenance facility.

I can say that traditional airport APM was looked at as well as LRT/Streetcar. No real study was apparently completed
The APM to the economy lot/garage and rental car center and the proposal for mass transit from KCI to downtown are two separate projects, correct? Or are they looking at somehow combining them into one, where there's like a free-fare zone for the airport locations or something?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sani wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:31 am
langosta wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:09 am Stations are airport terminal, new economy lot, and rental car facility. the other box is for the maintenance facility.

The APM to the economy lot/garage and rental car center and the proposal for mass transit from KCI to downtown are two separate projects, correct? Or are they looking at somehow combining them into one, where there's like a free-fare zone for the airport locations or something?
Going off memory again I think the APM thing predates anything else but they even talked about building it in a way that could be retrofitted to accommodate a future bigger project?