OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by im2kull »

earthling wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:36 pm A barn wooden plank ceiling apparently? Brooklyn loaded with the raw ceiling look, not sure how that corresponds to cow townish. This is one of the better raw ceilings that I've seen and they're covering it up with awkward flooring that is typically seen in a barn.

Where's the insulation?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

It'll be on the roof on top of the corrugated decking
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

im2kull wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:19 am
earthling wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:36 pm A barn wooden plank ceiling apparently? Brooklyn loaded with the raw ceiling look, not sure how that corresponds to cow townish. This is one of the better raw ceilings that I've seen and they're covering it up with awkward flooring that is typically seen in a barn.

Where's the insulation?

On top of the decking
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The compulsion to find the most inconsequential shit to whine about is starting to get embarrassing.
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

Flying out of KCI today (in the Delta/Southwest terminal) and I cannot wait for the new airport to open. There are currently ONE dining option open outside of security, a Starbucks. The dining options inside security are abysmal.

Sorry for the rant, I’m actually just amazed at how bad things are. The new airport will be a gigantic improvement for locals and out of towners alike!
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

grecobs wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:21 pm Flying out of KCI today (in the Delta/Southwest terminal) and I cannot wait for the new airport to open. There are currently ONE dining option open outside of security, a Starbucks. The dining options inside security are abysmal.

Sorry for the rant, I’m actually just amazed at how bad things are. The new airport will be a gigantic improvement for locals and out of towners alike!
There was quite literally a steady leak right above one of the gate areas when I flew out on a rainy day a couple weeks ago. This new airport can't come soon enough. Hitting a delay while flying out is like an evening in county.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

mean wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:37 am The compulsion to find the most inconsequential shit to whine about is starting to get embarrassing.
Came here to say this ^^^
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

grecobs wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:21 pm Flying out of KCI today (in the Delta/Southwest terminal) and I cannot wait for the new airport to open. There are currently ONE dining option open outside of security, a Starbucks. The dining options inside security are abysmal.

I flew Delta recently and the bar outside security had their kitchen closed and was only offering cold premade sandwiches.

Inside security the bar was running off qr codes only and had limited seating so you couldn't just order a drink or a sandwich, you had to wait for a qr code to open up. Even then the menu was limited and the pizza bread I got was gross and barely edible.

They blamed it on having trouble hiring but it's clear to me that they've given up on the current terminal.

It's not good at all. Even with the new terminal opening, kci should be demanding some level of service from their contractors with things returning to pre pandemic traffic.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The concessions form at KCI is not continuing at the new terminal and is generally struggling at facilities across the US.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:45 pm The concessions form at KCI is not continuing at the new terminal and is generally struggling at facilities across the US.
I mean fine, but within the next few weeks I'll have been in a dozen airports within the past two months and they've all been running fine?

Seems like there should be some contractual obligation to actually staff and operate places 🤷‍♂️
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

normalthings wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:45 pm The concessions form at KCI is not continuing at the new terminal and is generally struggling at facilities across the US.
Hmm, toldya we should have gone the Portland route and managed the concessions directly...
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Isn’t it actually amazing that people wanted to keep that giant piece of shit airport at first
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:55 pm Isn’t it actually amazing that people wanted to keep that giant piece of shit airport at first
At least the old terminals weren't narrow— oh, wait...
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

As the airport nears completion and we see more and more pictures of the finalized product, it seems like it'll end up being a bit nicer looking than the renderings (in my view). The wood and stone tones throughout the terminal, larger windows and natural light zones will help with the atmosphere a bit. The colors are really what makes me feel that the overall design is meant to bring a calm vibe to the sometimes-hectic airplane travel experience. There are certain things that can be done to play with a person's psychology and one of the things I learned from an interior designer friend of mine is that using a calm color pallet helps bring a calm sense to the mix. Other things like scent and natural light also help.

For example, Brightline in Florida has a nice citrus smell in all three of their stations, but the colors inside are a bit harsh. The citrus smells "wakes you up" in a way. But like the new KC airport and other newer airports, natural light helps brighten someone's mood.

At the KC airport, and it's unlikely they'd do it, but two boxes are already checked with warmer colors (thanks to the stone and wood) and the natural light. Now, maybe having a citrus scent should be considered to complete it a bit. Not sure though. Overall, I think it's coming out very nice. I'll miss the circle airport terminals since they're fun (in my view) and is where my first true flight originated from. When demolition starts on the other terminals, I'm going to ask for a small piece as a keepsake.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Sani wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:36 pm
Hmm, toldya we should have gone the Portland route and managed the concessions directly...
No!
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

normalthings wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:19 pm
Sani wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:36 pm
No!
But whyyyyy? I would like street prices!
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

One thing I don't think I've seen discussed yet is the surrounding exterior and landscape planning for the terminal. What are the plans here? How extensive will updated landscaping be, what types of plantings/design/lighting, will it extend to the new roundabouts, or even out Cookingham Drive towards I-29?

At a minimum, extensive, attractive native landscaping around the terminal and entry drive could go a long way toward adding beauty to the garage-dominated approach...
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

rxlexi wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:41 pm One thing I don't think I've seen discussed yet is the surrounding exterior and landscape planning for the terminal. What are the plans here? How extensive will updated landscaping be, what types of plantings/design/lighting, will it extend to the new roundabouts, or even out Cookingham Drive towards I-29?

At a minimum, extensive, attractive native landscaping around the terminal and entry drive could go a long way toward adding beauty to the garage-dominated approach...
I think it was posted here a while ago. Nothing too exciting, trees plants, etc. not extensive outside the direct project and roadways leading to it
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This whole project has been underwhelming from a public wow factor and giving the public some insight into what is coming. The excuse has been design/build but the best we have gotten 10 months from opening is a picture fade from initial basic rendering to a current construction photo. Just overall very poor.

At minimum they would have released some design documents which some of us on here have found only scouring permit documents.

I mean even look inside the current terminal. You are hard pressed to even see ads for a new terminal coming.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:56 pm This whole project has been underwhelming from a public wow factor and giving the public some insight into what is coming. The excuse has been design/build but the best we have gotten 10 months from opening is a picture fade from initial basic rendering to a current construction photo. Just overall very poor.

At minimum they would have released some design documents which some of us on here have found only scouring permit documents.

I mean even look inside the current terminal. You are hard pressed to even see ads for a new terminal coming.
I mean they upload progress photos weekly if not more. Monthly walk through video. What average travelers care about they provide