OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by normalthings »

dnweava wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:30 pm Image

Also going to be a salad wraps, Dunkin Donuts, smoothie king, thou mayest, the bite, cinnabon, guys deli, Auntie Annes, and several other locations that I'm not sure about yet.
40 gate positions. Also shows where expansion can take place.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Where can the expansion take place?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:32 am ^Where can the expansion take place?
Zoom into that photo. There is a dotted outlinr
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Concourse A can be expanded to the south once Terminal B is demolished. It looks like Concourse B could also be expanded to the south if the ARFF station were relocated, but I have no idea if that's even under consideration over the long term. Concourse B could presumably be expanded to the north to line up with the northern end of Concourse A as well.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Sani wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:53 am Concourse A can be expanded to the south once Terminal B is demolished. It looks like Concourse B could also be expanded to the south if the ARFF station were relocated, but I have no idea if that's even under consideration over the long term. Concourse B could presumably be expanded to the north to line up with the northern end of Concourse A as well.
Only what is shown dotted has ever been said to be future expansion areas
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just booked flights for the week prior to planned opening. I expect the current terminals to be pretty rough that week. Still trying to book a flight out on like the 1st then back on like the 5th.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:04 am
Sani wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:53 am Concourse A can be expanded to the south once Terminal B is demolished. It looks like Concourse B could also be expanded to the south if the ARFF station were relocated, but I have no idea if that's even under consideration over the long term. Concourse B could presumably be expanded to the north to line up with the northern end of Concourse A as well.
Am I missing the pic you are referencing?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

No it’s right there…. At least on my screen. Posted by the other user
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

which post?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:20 am Just booked flights for the week prior to planned opening. I expect the current terminals to be pretty rough that week. Still trying to book a flight out on like the 1st then back on like the 5th.
Last few times I've flown the service has been rough already. I wouldn't expect it to improve.

The new terminal really can't come fast enough
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Also going to be a salad wraps, Dunkin Donuts, smoothie king, thou mayest, the bite, cinnabon, guys deli, Auntie Annes, and several other locations that I'm not sure about yet.
This one KCPowerCat
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:53 pm

This one KCPowerCat
Am I taking crazy pills I don't see one dotted line on that picture.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:38 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:20 am Just booked flights for the week prior to planned opening. I expect the current terminals to be pretty rough that week. Still trying to book a flight out on like the 1st then back on like the 5th.
Last few times I've flown the service has been rough already. I wouldn't expect it to improve.

Agreed it's been rough so I can't imagine what it will be like a week out. Like the last night of a restaurant, just whatever is left in the fridge is what we are serving.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:56 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:53 pm

This one KCPowerCat
Am I taking crazy pills I don't see one dotted line on that picture.
I couldn't either but thought I must just be missing something. /shrug
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Pretty sure it's this. Concourse A. Left of Center in the original image.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ahhhhhhh, thank you. I see it now. Sorry for bad eyes!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:57 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:38 pm

Agreed it's been rough so I can't imagine what it will be like a week out. Like the last night of a restaurant, just whatever is left in the fridge is what we are serving.
I flew (delta) and tried to eat or drink they weren’t serving hot food outside of security and inside there was a line that was too long because they were enforcing QR code bills.

Haven’t tried it since but I have the feeling they’ve given up.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

normalthings wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:04 am
Right, the others I mentioned are from the architectural consultant known as "thoughts pulled from Sani's ass".

I am kind of surprised that the terminal wasn't built with more expansion in mind. If you look at IND, for example, it's easy to see how the two concourses could be expanded to the south (A) and west (B) by extending the "fingers" that are closest to the terminal. Or if you look at RSW's terminal built in 2005, it was designed from the beginning to eventually be expanded to 65 gates as needed.

Other than a few gates added to the south end of Concourse A, what's the plan if we need to add, say, 10-15 more gates in the future? Is there one?
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

I think this design could add 7 more gates to the end of Concourse A but beyond that KCI is probably looking at a second terminal. To be fair that's an 18% increase on the current 38 gates. I'm sure once this project is done there will be another long term plan made at some point but I think a second copy of this terminal on the other side with some automated tram connectors would work pretty well. As it is runway 1R/19L is kind of a "long" taxi to get to the new terminal so a second terminal on that side could help that runway be more useful.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

shaffe wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:37 pm I think this design could add 7 more gates to the end of Concourse A but beyond that KCI is probably looking at a second terminal. To be fair that's an 18% increase on the current 38 gates. I'm sure once this project is done there will be another long term plan made at some point but I think a second copy of this terminal on the other side with some automated tram connectors would work pretty well. As it is runway 1R/19L is kind of a "long" taxi to get to the new terminal so a second terminal on that side could help that runway be more useful.
If they have to build a whole new terminal and connect them with people movers in the next 20 years, then this design was a huge fail. Honestly, I think the best thing the new airport has going for it is how utterly terrible the last one was here at the end. The bar was set so low and it seems people are excited just because it’s not what we have currently. It looks functional but fairly mediocre.