OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by WoodDraw »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:39 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:13 pm I heard on radio one of the reasons the garage is so full is because people are parking just go inside and see the new terminal.
I did this on a Sunday. Paid $1 in the new garage for a sub-30m visit. Why is that only $1?
I wonder if it's a (misguided?) attempt to avoid pissing people off?

I think it's something that needs to be discouraged. If you have a free cellphone lot but a one dollar garage, it's just a nominal fee. I'd hike that, but I'm not a traffic engineer.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:39 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:13 pm I heard on radio one of the reasons the garage is so full is because people are parking just go inside and see the new terminal.
I did this on a Sunday. Paid $1 in the new garage for a sub-30m visit. Why is that only $1?
I don't have a problem with this. We should account for pickup short term parking.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I don't buy the people are just going to see the new terminal thing. I think people are dropping off people and wanting to say goodbye or picking up people and wanting to say hello and help with luggage. Mostly the latter

It's too convenient lol. I think knock up the the 1 hour to $5 and it'll help, it'll force the people that don't care out.

Or dynamically price it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:08 pm I don't buy the people are just going to see the new terminal thing. I think people are dropping off people and wanting to say goodbye or picking up people and wanting to say hello and help with luggage. Mostly the latter

It's too convenient lol. I think knock up the the 1 hour to $5 and it'll help, it'll force the people that don't care out.

Or dynamically price it.
I agree there are people doing this and some people do need help in/out of the airport so I don't blame them or think they will change that behavior based on the price and seems unnecessarily cruel to extort them. The garage should (is?) built big enough for that activity. Again we are talking a couple days in one week in year one.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:54 am
WoodDraw wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:08 pm I don't buy the people are just going to see the new terminal thing. I think people are dropping off people and wanting to say goodbye or picking up people and wanting to say hello and help with luggage. Mostly the latter

Or dynamically price it.
I agree there are people doing this and some people do need help in/out of the airport so I don't blame them or think they will change that behavior based on the price and seems unnecessarily cruel to extort them. The garage should (is?) built big enough for that activity. Again we are talking a couple days in one week in year one.
I dunno. I pay $3 extra to take an Uber. Is that extortionate?

I think it's a harsh word. We're just trying to figure out pricing
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:36 am
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:54 am

Or dynamically price it.
I dunno. I pay $3 extra to take an Uber. Is that extortionate?

I think it's a harsh word. We're just trying to figure out pricing
The uber surcharge seems a much different thing. Agree figure out pricing but I don't think raising the ultra short team price is going to change anything usage wise. A lot of those people do that because of the flier needing that assistance.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Just solve the whole problem by building a new high-end hotel on site with another parking garage underneath.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

We need a new airport!
KC is the way to be!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:33 am Just solve the whole problem by building a new high-end hotel on site with another parking garage underneath.
Great idea. That Marriott is rough.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:11 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:33 am Just solve the whole problem by building a new high-end hotel on site with another parking garage underneath.
Would like to see a hotel on the approach side of the garage. It would be nice to block the garage from view when driving up to the airport.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I took the bus from East Village today and arrived very early so I could grab some lunch and test the working situation. No parking or curb drama!

First of all, security was amazing. Such an airy space, unlike any other. Don't laugh, but I'm a Clear member and it worked flawlessly here. Lunch at Brown & Loe was okay, but they did have a local wine on the menu (not to my liking, but zero airports get this right despite fawning over local beers made with important ingredients). Grabbed a drink at The Tasting Room before my Delta flight. I'm returning on Southwest tomorrow, so I'll report on boarding and arrivals after that.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

A year or so ago, I happened to sit next to a Delta pilot on an MCI-DTW flight whose job it was to go to various cities and evaluate the crew hotels for noise, cleanliness, etc. From what he said, the Marriott did not get high marks, to put it mildly.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What a job that is.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:11 pm I took the bus from East Village today and arrived very early so I could grab some lunch and test the working situation. No parking or curb drama!

First of all, security was amazing. Such an airy space, unlike any other. Don't laugh, but I'm a Clear member and it worked flawlessly here. Lunch at Brown & Loe was okay, but they did have a local wine on the menu (not to my liking, but zero airports get this right despite fawning over local beers made with important ingredients). Grabbed a drink at The Tasting Room before my Delta flight. I'm returning on Southwest tomorrow, so I'll report on boarding and arrivals after that.
How busy were the bars and restaurants?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Sani wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:46 pm
A year or so ago, I happened to sit next to a Delta pilot on an MCI-DTW flight whose job it was to go to various cities and evaluate the crew hotels for noise, cleanliness, etc. From what he said, the Marriott did not get high marks, to put it mildly.
I’ve seen delta pilots at the downtown hotels in 2017-start of Covid. Assume they stay down there still
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Seems like they need competition to get them to refresh and update their airport hotel. Are there any better hotels on the other side of I-29? The new Hilton Garden Inn?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

langosta wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:56 pm

I’ve seen delta pilots at the downtown hotels in 2017-start of Covid. Assume they stay down there still
Yeah, I haven't known any airline to use airport hotels for their employees. They have typically put them downtown. Maybe if it's for pure rest they keep a couple slots open.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Looks like Google Maps has been updated with the new roadways.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

First few days all I heard was rave reviews. Since then, the grumbling has been getting louder & louder from the nimby's over "muh airport SUCKS!" now. I'm getting worried this is gonna start to spread like the plague. And yes, it's all because of the damn pickup situation.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

The more you engage with a type of post. The more you will see them. I do not engage and so I do not see those.