Post by TheUrbanRoo »

dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by dnweava »

UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:26 pm This looks really cool

https://twitter.com/kemetcoleman/status ... MbHTJuvSCw
I think it looks bad in person, looks like old Christmas decorations hanging from the ceiling of a kindergarten classroom.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dnweava wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:47 pm

I think it looks bad in person, looks like old Christmas decorations hanging from the ceiling of a kindergarten classroom.
An example that not all public spaces need art? IMHO the structure was the art in this space
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Forgot to mention that airline training has been ongoing. Not sure when Noah's United started but I know at least some there have been.

TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

*shrugs*
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:54 pm

An example that not all public spaces need art? IMHO the structure was the art in this space
Everybody has their own opinions but it wasn't that architecturally relevant after the value engineering. I haven't been inside but from what I've seen outside and in pics I think it was a good piece there. My only addition would have been not all the same height.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The problem with KC art is that we rarely update it. So you end up with the monstrosity that is Sprint center.

This looks nice but it won't in a few years. Budget to have something different/
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:10 am The problem with KC art is that we rarely update it. So you end up with the monstrosity that is Sprint center.

This looks nice but it won't in a few years. Budget to have something different/
This.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:22 am I don’t know full details, I just know that tech ops is coming, not to mention I have seen them around a lot lately. Supposedly United is supposed to get 20+ main lines a day and there’s talks of becoming a line station for UA, although honestly I don’t know, But the things I am saying I have been hearing from other people for the past few months so I don’t know what’s true and what’s not but if I keep hearing the same things over and over and over again I’m going to assume something
Mayor in Chicago yesterday meeting with United. Discussion was jobs and new flights.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:10 am The problem with KC art is that we rarely update it. So you end up with the monstrosity that is Sprint center.

Definitely agree with regards to Sprint Center "fountains", yikes. I think Nick Cave is awesome and will reserve judgement on the terminal headhouse piece until I see it. I'm actually very excited to see the execution of all of the public art components of the terminal; it looked like they picked some real winners on paper for sure.

To some degree the budget question goes back to my question about how the "1% for Art" is determined. We are getting $5.65M worth of art for this supposed $1.5B airport terminal. And no mention of any ongoing budget for maintenance or replacement.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

rxlexi wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:47 am

Definitely agree with regards to Sprint Center "fountains", yikes. I think Nick Cave is awesome and will reserve judgement on the terminal headhouse piece until I see it. I'm actually very excited to see the execution of all of the public art components of the terminal; it looked like they picked some real winners on paper for sure.

To some degree the budget question goes back to my question about how the "1% for Art" is determined. We are getting $5.65M worth of art for this supposed $1.5B airport terminal. And no mention of any ongoing budget for maintenance or replacement.
Could be that the 5.65 is just the initial cost, and the rest of the 1% goes to upkeep of it in the future.

I can attest that a good majority of the pieces in the new terminal are fantastic. B concourse has to be some of my favorite though, between the Sax Birds and a few wall pieces hung up, it’ll help to give KC a sense of place for sure.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:14 pm
Could be that the 5.65 is just the initial cost, and the rest of the 1% goes to upkeep of it in the future.

I can attest that a good majority of the pieces in the new terminal are fantastic. B concourse has to be some of my favorite though, between the Sax Birds and a few wall pieces hung up, it’ll help to give KC a sense of place for sure.
The sculpture hanging over the escalators down to baggage pickup is really cool and easily my favorite piece in person. It looks like a flying dragon, it's just really cool and looks way better in person than in the renders.

The floor art is all cool.

The wall art is good but mostly forgettable. I wish they were bigger and more prominent.

The "clouds" on the connecting hall ceiling are ugly. looks like a bunch of dangling seat belts just waiting to collect dust. I thought the multicolored ceiling looked better before they installed the "seat belts" as I will call them.

The sax birds are lazy, just some saxes up in the air. They are going to be easily missed as they are small and up in a tall ceiling in a busy area where you won't be looking up.

The head house ceiling art seemed like a good concept that just didn't land with me. I think the shapes they chose should have had some local theme or just a theme in general, not just random stuff like stars, squares, and turtles...

I haven't seen the "fountain" sculpture that will be in the retail node A yet, but I'm hoping it turns out cool.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Public art often doesn't "land" (heh) on initial viewing. See also just about everything we've installed (shuttlecocks, Bird Lives, "communication", prayer boxes, etc, etc, etc). People grow to love this stuff over time (except Flying Kansas Citians, which will always suck).
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

dnweava wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:24 pm
The head house ceiling art seemed like a good concept that just didn't land with me. I think the shapes they chose should have had some local theme or just a theme in general, not just random stuff like stars, squares, and turtles...

I haven't seen the "fountain" sculpture that will be in the retail node A yet, but I'm hoping it turns out cool.
IIRC the head house art shapes do indeed have local connections - I'd have to try to find the article I read stating such but I if I can I'll share the link.

I have extremely high hopes for the Villareal "light fountain". The concept renders looked great; hoping it's an instant hit and helps soften the blow of losing a "real" fountain in the main terminal.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Just saw this in the Star. Crazy story

The $62 million Husch Blackwell has been ordered to pay is equivalent to the fee Burns & McDonnell would have received had it won the airport contract.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 54162.html
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

That article really buried the lede. The whole time I'm like this doesn't sound so bad until the end lol
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Does any city really "rotate" it's big art displays? I feel like I've seen the same art in the same cities all the time?

Wall art yes I agree that should rotate frequently.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

dev49 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:32 pm Just saw this in the Star. Crazy story

The $62 million Husch Blackwell has been ordered to pay is equivalent to the fee Burns & McDonnell would have received had it won the airport contract.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 54162.html
Good. Burns Mac deserves it. That's what happens when you break the rules and commit crimes. Husch Blackwell is WELL known to be one of the worst firms in the state when it comes to playing fair and living within the rules. They're who enabled all the wild things going on in Clay County with the county administrators just before the pandemic. They should never receive a single penny of taxpayer funds.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I was reading it and the whole time was like it really sounds like the city got fucked here as well.

I guess we waived conflict, but there's enough smoke there to interest a public corruption investigator.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:59 pm I was reading it and the whole time was like it really sounds like the city got fucked here as well.

I guess we waived conflict, but there's enough smoke there to interest a public corruption investigator.
Can you summarize the public corruption component?