OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by FangKC »

They want an Orange Julius and Sunglass Hut in it. 8)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Well the original conceptual drawings showed a more architecturally interesting roof and the indoor fountain. Other things have seems to be done barebones like no skywalk from the garage, the garage itself is basic.

Kind of hard to get airlines to buy off on all this stuff when. It's not a hub for them.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:07 pm Well the original conceptual drawings showed a more architecturally interesting roof and the indoor fountain. Other things have seems to be done barebones like no skywalk from the garage, the garage itself is basic.

Kind of hard to get airlines to buy off on all this stuff when. It's not a hub for them.
This is basically it. We got fun renderings of roofs and fountains and as soon as they were selected they cut them all.

But it was always southwest setting the budget.

Honestly, I didn’t expect a delta lounge.

It’s up to the city now to increase demand. It’s a nice airport.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:56 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:07 pm Well the original conceptual drawings showed a more architecturally interesting roof and the indoor fountain. Other things have seems to be done barebones like no skywalk from the garage, the garage itself is basic.

This is basically it. We got fun renderings of roofs and fountains and as soon as they were selected they cut them all.

But it was always southwest setting the budget.

Honestly, I didn’t expect a delta lounge.

It’s up to the city now to increase demand. It’s a nice airport.
I'd give all that up if we could've built the airport close to downtown like Reagan is in DC. Then we could've easily sent a streetcar to it.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Honestly the location gives the I-29 corridor the opportunity to densify, then the justification for LRT to KCI becomes a little more palatable.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:31 pm I'd give all that up if we could've built the airport close to downtown like Reagan is in DC. Then we could've easily sent a streetcar to it.
Why? KCI is not that far from the city and it could have been a major airport if they had replaced the terminal decades ago. Who knows, it still could become a major airport in the decades to come. An airport at the downtown location would never have a chance.

DCA is nice, but DC technically has three major airports. Their are no international flights out of DCA and domestic flights are heavily regulated by distance. DCA has only recently started flying to further away destinations like the west coast and they still can't get that many flights there.

BWI is much busier because they have the capacity to be busier. Dulles is where most international flights go, but they still have a lot of domestic too.

KC will only have one airport the best place for that airport is probably still right where it's at today.

The city should implement high quality BRT to KCI something like the the Flatiron Flyer between Denver and Boulder.

High quality coach buses that run every 30-60 minutes from Downtown to KCI with a couple of quick stops (where buses don't even leave the interstate) along I-29.
Like this example:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9062838 ... 384!8i8192

While that could be upgraded to rail in the future, I don't see the point. I would much prefer to take a coach bus from downtown to KCI than take a train. It would be faster, more comfortable and likely drop you off much closer to the terminal.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:34 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:31 pm I'd give all that up if we could've built the airport close to downtown like Reagan is in DC. Then we could've easily sent a streetcar to it.
Why?
Because when I was in DC for school I liked the idea I could get on the metro and be at the airport in like 10 minutes. It just made things alot easier, and especially for KC because I don't think you will see them build a long rail line to the airport like they have in DC because it's too far away. If it's nearby downtown I could see them dropping some rail down realistically pretty soon. Now, I have doubts.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

GRID wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:34 pm
Why? KCI is not that far from the city and it could have been a major airport if they had replaced the terminal decades ago. Who knows, it still could become a major airport in the decades to come. An airport at the downtown location would never have a chance.

DCA is nice, but DC technically has three major airports. Their are no international flights out of DCA and domestic flights are heavily regulated by distance. DCA has only recently started flying to further away destinations like the west coast and they still can't get that many flights there.

BWI is much busier because they have the capacity to be busier. Dulles is where most international flights go, but they still have a lot of domestic too.

KC will only have one airport the best place for that airport is probably still right where it's at today.

The city should implement high quality BRT to KCI something like the the Flatiron Flyer between Denver and Boulder.

High quality coach buses that run every 30-60 minutes from Downtown to KCI with a couple of quick stops (where buses don't even leave the interstate) along I-29.
Like this example:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9062838 ... 384!8i8192

While that could be upgraded to rail in the future, I don't see the point. I would much prefer to take a coach bus from downtown to KCI than take a train. It would be faster, more comfortable and likely drop you off much closer to the terminal.
I've been an advocate of this before, but I think ride sharing has killed the market. You can get downtown from the airport for $20ish.

I think you have to pick a stop on the streetcar, but than you're kind of competing with it if you make stops along the way. It's weird.

I think you have to do an airport bus too with luggage racks.

Can you make that work on a regular schedule with one stop on the plaza, Westport, Union station, loop, and airport. That already seems like too many stops.

The cost would have to be I assume $10-$20.

I don’t know that the market is there.
Last edited by WoodDraw on Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Also we need to be pushing for that airport people mover harder
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Ceiling work starting to pick up, looks like some of the gate areas have already finished up.

Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:34 pm Also we need to be pushing for that airport people mover harder
People mover will get going once the new terminal is complete and functioning. It’s not a foregone conclusion, but they won’t get anything moving on that until they’re done with the terminal. Pat Klein talked about it a while back
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Window instillation nearing completion. 2,200 panes installed, with just over 100 left to go.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Cool!
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Once all the glass is installed, is the building considered "closed-in" (I can't remember the correct term off-hand) for the purposes of weatherproofing and installing HVAC?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Sani wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:33 pm Once all the glass is installed, is the building considered "closed-in" (I can't remember the correct term off-hand) for the purposes of weatherproofing and installing HVAC?
I think that’s the case. It seems they’ve already got pieces overlapping each other in regards to instillation of multiple systems.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Sani wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:33 pm Once all the glass is installed, is the building considered "closed-in" (I can't remember the correct term off-hand) for the purposes of weatherproofing and installing HVAC?
already considered closed in for the most part
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:59 pm
already considered closed in for the most part
Yeah, the mock up areas were finished about a month ago, so they’ve probably had one concourse closed in for longer than that
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Some good pics from BuildKCI of the passenger holding areas for gates. I’m guessing that the floor outlets mean that they’ll have mostly seating with outlets, which is a good trend. The only thing I’m disappointed in is the bottle filling station, as I’ve been to far too many airports where there’s a significant line just to fill water bottles. Hopefully they have enough through the concourse that it won’t be an issue

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm assuming/hoping bottle filling stations outside each set of bathrooms.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:31 pm I'm assuming/hoping bottle filling stations outside each set of bathrooms.
Yes