OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by langosta »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:17 am This guy was excited as he could then switch his home base to KC, not sure if "crew base" is the right term he used so just explaining more why he even told me and what that might mean for future possible growth
Front lines non-management staff are notoriously unreliable sources. Look at their current crew bases and whose missing
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

langosta wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:12 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:17 am This guy was excited as he could then switch his home base to KC, not sure if "crew base" is the right term he used so just explaining more why he even told me and what that might mean for future possible growth
Front lines non-management staff are notoriously unreliable sources. Look at their current crew bases and whose missing
Seems we are?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:25 pm
Seems we are?
Along with much more significant operations. Nashville was only just added and is their 8th largest airport.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

langosta wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:28 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:25 pm

Seems we are?
Along with much more significant operations. Nashville was only just added and is their 8th largest airport.
STL doesn't have one either, they would be under consideration prior to MCI.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

[shadow][/shadow]
Agree with this.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed because it would be great to see happen but I’d take anything you hear from a pilot or FA with a grain of salt. Most pilots and FAs will tell you they are the last to know anything. The amount of times I’ve talked to a FA on a flight with some scoop that turned out to not be true is pretty numerous. So I’d be a little surprised if this person actually had any inside info. I’m guessing someone heard some rumor that was a maybe it will happen and it eventually 5 people down the line it’s turned into it is happening.

We’ll see what happens I’m just skeptical we would get one ahead of some others. But if they are going to add multiple more than would help our chances.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

https://fox4kc.com/news/kansas-city-app ... inals/amp/

Still can't believe we're paying $18M for demolition.

And, that no reuse is being considered.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

im2kull wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:13 pm https://fox4kc.com/news/kansas-city-app ... inals/amp/

The oldest terminal nearest the present terminal is very close to present airport operations and I wonder if they will build the tarmac out in that direction once it is gone. What reuse would you suggest for the other terminal. They have an archaic design as future terminals. Not sure what service they would provide in current airport operations?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2964204 ... ?entry=ttu
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

There is no reason to keep that relic if the Aviation Museum doesn't move there
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Highlander wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:43 pm
im2kull wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:13 pm https://fox4kc.com/news/kansas-city-app ... inals/amp/

The oldest terminal nearest the present terminal is very close to present airport operations and I wonder if they will build the tarmac out in that direction once it is gone. What reuse would you suggest for the other terminal. They have an archaic design as future terminals. Not sure what service they would provide in current airport operations?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2964204 ... ?entry=ttu
Both terminals will be paved over.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

daGOAT wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:24 pm There is no reason to keep that relic if the Aviation Museum doesn't move there
there is no space
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

really wish we could keep a section of C for the architectural history value.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

St Louis is supposed to break ground on a new 3 billion dollar 62 gate terminal in 2026. MCI needs to try and ramp things up before that new terminal opens. I mean try and get an international flight, more domestic flights and even get back more regional flights (omaha, wichita, Des moines, springfield, branson etc).

I think once their new terminal opens, StL will be hard to compete with. But if MCI gets a more solid footing before then, it might help MCI maintain solid growth when STL new terminal opens.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We are in good shape
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

GRID wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:14 pm St Louis is supposed to break ground on a new 3 billion dollar 62 gate terminal in 2026. MCI needs to try and ramp things up before that new terminal opens. I mean try and get an international flight, more domestic flights and even get back more regional flights (omaha, wichita, Des moines, springfield, branson etc).

I think once their new terminal opens, StL will be hard to compete with. But if MCI gets a more solid footing before then, it might help MCI maintain solid growth when STL new terminal opens.
Why does it have to be one or the other? Both airports can grow on their own.

We don’t need to “compete” with anyone else. Flights are going to come because we can support them, have businesses buy in, and have local passenger growth. If we support flights airlines will expand, if we don’t they won’t. They go where demand for flights takes them. That said even if we had Nashville like growth we aren’t getting flights to any of those airports anyway. They are too close to us driving.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

If KC isn’t declaring rivals and tearing their hearts out, then we’re doomed!! /sarcasm
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

dev49 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:33 pm
GRID wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:14 pm St Louis is supposed to break ground on a new 3 billion dollar 62 gate terminal in 2026. MCI needs to try and ramp things up before that new terminal opens. I mean try and get an international flight, more domestic flights and even get back more regional flights (omaha, wichita, Des moines, springfield, branson etc).

Why does it have to be one or the other? Both airports can grow on their own.

We don’t need to “compete” with anyone else. Flights are going to come because we can support them, have businesses buy in, and have local passenger growth. If we support flights airlines will expand, if we don’t they won’t. They go where demand for flights takes them. That said even if we had Nashville like growth we aren’t getting flights to any of those airports anyway. They are too close to us driving.
Wdym? You know how connecting traffic works and that flow can help us add cities on the margin today (in terms of demand). It is a competition with other cities for connecting flow but we allowed ourselves to get soo far behind we may never catch up. Southwest will have to approve the new STL terminal and wouldn’t approve such a big expansion without plans to fill that capacity.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I've been using the airport more and I think the criticism is mostly off base. It's a very nice airport.

I traveled with my parents recently who are perfectly mobile but getting up there in age and they asked why there weren't more moving walkways. I think that's a legit critique now after spending more time in all the areas.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:02 pm I've been using the airport more and I think the criticism is mostly off base. It's a very nice airport.

I traveled with my parents recently who are perfectly mobile but getting up there in age and they asked why there weren't more moving walkways. I think that's a legit critique now after spending more time in all the areas.
I overheard someone in the new terminal complain about the distances and pointed out that Phoenix has golfcart-like vehicles to move disabled or elderly people around, which would probably be welcomed here. At the same time, I don’t think the amount of walking at the new kc terminal is that unusual for a modern airport. I was recently at the rebuilt LGA, and though it is beautiful, it felt like a mile of walking to get to the gate
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:02 pm I've been using the airport more and I think the criticism is mostly off base. It's a very nice airport.

A lot of airports have been removing them. Hard to maintain, costly, and they are a physical barrier. Not really a place they aren’t at in the new terminal you could add them to without blocking cross traffic.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

langosta wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:07 pm

A lot of airports have been removing them. Hard to maintain, costly, and they are a physical barrier. Not really a place they aren’t at in the new terminal you could add them to without blocking cross traffic.
Which airports remove them?